Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

I would've bought a board with clears, but I could only find a board with browns and all the other features I wanted (TKL, RGB backlit, and under $150).

Ya, unless something happens on Massdrop, RGB going into an MX Clear TKL board would be pretty rare. I only know of a few TKL Clear boards with either white, blue or red LEDs. They're all at or under $150, but that doesn't help you.

2 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I would've bought a board with clears, but I could only find a board with browns and all the other features I wanted (TKL, RGB backlit, and under $150).

2 hours ago, divito said:

Ya, unless something happens on Massdrop, RGB going into an MX Clear TKL board would be pretty rare. I only know of a few TKL Clear boards with either white, blue or red LEDs. They're all at or under $150, but that doesn't help you.

If you can open your switches you can swap the spring and stem to turn them into clears. The housing on all the cherry switches are the same. 

Just now, geo3 said:

If you can open your switches you can swap the spring and stem to turn them into clears. The housing on all the cherry switches are the same. 

That is another avenue, but one that isn't for the faint of heart. Will also depend on if it is plate-mounted or PCB-mounted.

5 minutes ago, divito said:

That is another avenue, but one that isn't for the faint of heart. Will also depend on if it is plate-mounted or PCB-mounted.

You can open plate mount unless it's super tight. The more likely problem is if they have through switch LEDs, which a lot of boards do. Then the only option is to desolderer the LDE.

I got a K70 LUX MX Blue, now I love it and won't use other

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

8 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Does anyone know where I could source some backlightable keycaps with a comic sans typeface?

... for a Model M?

Spoiler

3t6rqv.jpg

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 hours ago, geo3 said:

I heard from someone on here that I might have to desolder the switches from the PCB. No thank you.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

7 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Does anyone know where I could source some backlightable keycaps with a comic sans typeface?

I'm not sure how to react to that. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I heard from someone on here that I might have to desolder the switches from the PCB. No thank you.

Maybe, maybe not. If you can open the switch then desoldering it wouldn't be necessary. Although depending on what kind of LEDs you have opening the switch might involve desoldering the LED.  

This shows how to open (and lube) your switches. 

Hello guys. I have been trying to choose between two keyboards - Redragon Kala or Redragon Yama. Any thoughts on that?

18 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Nah for a cherry MX keyboard

We are getting our meetup keycaps made by Max keys. They can make a full set of backlit keys for fairly cheap!

9 hours ago, geo3 said:

Maybe, maybe not. If you can open the switch then desoldering it wouldn't be necessary. Although depending on what kind of LEDs you have opening the switch might involve desoldering the LED.  

This shows how to open (and lube) your switches. 

Opening switches isnt that easy. It only works with boards which have got the cutouts on the plate.

Whenever I have gotten plates made for my boards, I have made sure it has switch top opening so that I can do just that/ change the stem to something else if needed!

23 hours ago, divito said:

Ya, the leaf on brown is less pronounced, and it's lighter. I'm in a similar boat now with my clear board, as it's lighter than the greys, so anytime I happen to use it, feels like nothing at all.

Actually the leaf on a Cherry brown is identical to the leaf on a cherry clear and all the other cherry switches.

It is the size of the bump on the stem which makes the difference in tactility. I have got clears, Zealios, Browns and mod switches and you can see a huge difference in the size of the bump between them all. The clear bump is quite sharp and steep compared to the browns.

1 hour ago, the pokemon kid said:

Actually the leaf on a Cherry brown is identical to the leaf on a cherry clear and all the other cherry switches.

It is the size of the bump on the stem which makes the difference in tactility. I have got clears, Zealios, Browns and mod switches and you can see a huge difference in the size of the bump between them all. The clear bump is quite sharp and steep compared to the browns.

Ya, I didn't mean to reference it as the leaf, my bad. I have browns, clears, greys, greens and a blue board. I need to get a white one to round out my collection.

2 minutes ago, divito said:

Ya, I didn't mean to reference it as the leaf, my bad. I have browns, clears, greys, greens and a blue board. I need to get a white one to round out my collection.

Cherry white switches are pretty rare!

I will throw a spanner in your works... There is two types of Grey. Tactile greys and linear grey.

25 minutes ago, the pokemon kid said:

Cherry white switches are pretty rare!

I will throw a spanner in your works... There is two types of Grey. Tactile greys and linear grey.

Yes, there are two types. I have tactile; linear switches are bleh. Not going to bother getting red, black, linear grey, super black, silent red, speed silver, etc... Just going to collect all the clicky/tacticle ones.

And they're fairly rare, but MK has them. And I could always make a WTB on GH for anything else. Just sold my Galaxy Set on there since I have blanks on my daily.

On 2/2/2018 at 11:25 PM, iamdarkyoshi said:

Nah for a cherry MX keyboard

That's still pretty bad :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 03.02.2018 at 8:12 AM, JDE said:

I got a K70 LUX MX Blue, now I love it and won't use other

Mx Blues gave me headache problem every day. 

10 hours ago, geo3 said:

But why? 

Because they are way smoother than cherry clears and have way more tactility than normal Zealios. Overall a much better switch than what both Cherry or Zeal makes stock.

Been around 2 months since the G810 arrived to my house.

I love it. It's been fantastic.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, the pokemon kid said:

Because they are way smoother than cherry clears and have way more tactility than normal Zealios. Overall a much better switch than what both Cherry or Zeal makes stock.

I would think a clear stem in a Zealios housing would achieve that much better. The smoothness of a Zealios primarily comes from the fact that the housings are made of a different kind of plastic. And the tactile bump on the arms of a clear stem is ever so slightly larger than on a Zealios stem.