Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

I am looking for a cheapish 70% board. Any recommendations?

On 5/10/2017 at 1:38 PM, ɭuʍєѕ Ϛ said:

cheapish 70% board.

Do you mean 75% like the Nopoo Choc Mini?

DSC04439.jpg

656px-75%25_keyboard_layout.svg.png

70% would be without the column on the right, and I don't think any readily available board has that layout. But 75% is quite obtainable. The Nopoo Choc Mini from above costs a little under 100 bucks. Does that count as cheap-ish?

Yes! i can finally join!

I have the SteelSeries Apex M500 (mx blues)

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what are yall's favorite keyswitches?

On 5/12/2017 at 11:17 PM, iFreilicht said:

Sorry I meant 75%. And yeah I would consider $100 cheapish. Sorry for the late reply.

On 5/6/2017 at 6:13 AM, Technicolors said:

the input club k-type has launched the massdrop page! it's only a request page for now though but it's hitting over 1k 

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-input-club-k-type-mechanical-keyboard

personally i think this is my kinda board! either between this or the RGB GMMK 

the drop started today... more than 6000 requests, gradually passing 1200 participants. launches for $200 and ships... in November. i'll be dead before it actually ships out :/ 

On 2017-5-15 at 7:54 AM, ɭuʍєѕ Ϛ said:

Sorry I meant 75%. And yeah I would consider $100 cheapish. Sorry for the late reply.

Cool, looks like you've found your board then ;)

On 2017-5-13 at 7:46 AM, boomboxkai897 said:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what are yall's favorite keyswitches?

Gateron Green. Much better than Cherry Greens in my opinion, but I didn't get to try Cherry Switches after they redid their tooling last year. Supposedly they are much smoother now.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:07 AM, ArmswieldTheHero said:

Sure, let me take a video. I have a funeral today so I should have it up sometime tomorrow.

Been 2 weeks and no video?

6 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

Been 2 weeks and no video?

Shit, completely forgot. I dont go on linus tech forums very often. And now my dad is gone. He has the phone so I have no camera rn, and tomorrow I get my wisdom teeth yanked.

On 5/14/2017 at 10:54 PM, ɭuʍєѕ Ϛ said:

Would also look at the Drevo Gramr, which is usually under $40 and uses the same housing as the Keycool 84.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 6:38 PM, ArmswieldTheHero said:

Shit, completely forgot. I dont go on linus tech forums very often. And now my dad is gone. He has the phone so I have no camera rn, and tomorrow I get my wisdom teeth yanked.

It's fine.  I was just curious about that keyboard also....

On 5/20/2017 at 5:05 PM, Falkentyne said:

It's fine.  I was just curious about that keyboard also....

I mean, I can just tell you why it clicks.

The plastic on it slams against the plastic on the bottom of the keyboard once the membrane is fully depressed.

On 5/23/2017 at 5:14 PM, ArmswieldTheHero said:

I mean, I can just tell you why it clicks.

The plastic on it slams against the plastic on the bottom of the keyboard once the membrane is fully depressed.

That doesn't count, that would mean linear switches "click" as well when you bottom out. In a mechanical keyboard, actuation occurs before bottoming out, and the switch has to click precisely when actuating. I guess the latter is fulfilled for most keyboards, but the first criterion is what's widely used to differentiate mechs from non-mechs.

On 5/19/2017 at 11:58 AM, Nimrodor said:

Would also look at the Drevo Gramr, which is usually under $40 and uses the same housing as the Keycool 84.

Thanks for that

On 5/29/2017 at 7:08 AM, iFreilicht said:

That doesn't count, that would mean linear switches "click" as well when you bottom out. In a mechanical keyboard, actuation occurs before bottoming out, and the switch has to click precisely when actuating. I guess the latter is fulfilled for most keyboards, but the first criterion is what's widely used to differentiate mechs from non-mechs.

Well I dont know what kind of elitist world you're living in where a keyboard clicking at the same time it actuates doesnt count as it being clicky. Membrane keyboards actuate at the same time they bottom out. Meaning its tactile and clicky and it was much much cheaper.

Anyone know what Ducky DK9008 G2s are worth? There's a used one being sold locally to me and I'm wondering at what point I should stop bidding (comes with Ducky wrist rest too). 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

Is there such a thing as heavier MX Browns? If so, is it possible to replace without buying a whole new keyboard and/or soldering?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

23 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Is there such a thing as heavier MX Browns? If so, is it possible to replace without buying a whole new keyboard and/or soldering?

Eargo clears or Zealios. If the leds are soldered into the masterkeys PCB then maybe soldering could be a option, idk

Update: Now part of the club. So far the Cherry MX browns seem very nice. Loving the simplist design of keyboard too. The A,S,D keys appear to be lower than the rest for some reason, is this normal?

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

Ooooh man, is anyone getting on the 2nd run of SA Carbon? Massdrop Link

04_20170518160947.jpg?auto=format&fm=jpg <--- Look at this sexyness!

I'm personally torn between getting this or hopping on the DSA Night Sky Caps. Probably gonna go carbon, because I really like SA profile.

I'm://www.massdrop.com/buy/carbon?utm_source=linkshare&referer=TCSA9X

Edit: These are ABS keys. Oh.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

On 2017-6-6 at 10:08 PM, verytiny said:

topre is the best

.eJwVzEEOhCAMAMC_8ADKAlXqbwgSJBEhtJ6Mf9_d6xzmUfc81aYOkcEbwF459blrlj5jybr0Xs4cR2WdeoMoEtPR8iUM7oNIK6Hz3lo0K9ofBbS0kFm8oxA8Gajt34yrqPcLwSIh4w.fzbMzVRcrc9bRH-oSwTdLN6e-n4?width=1253&height=704

That is a weird way to spell rubbre dome /s. 

Does it have hypersphere, mx sliders, or is it stock? 

How would it compare to hhkb. 

Are you going to put in the new hasu controler for 660c? Full programability.