Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
1 minute ago, Rovert19 said:

My pok3r rgb came in yesterday and I absolutely love it. The clickyness of blue switches are so satisfying. I'm coming from black switches so it's going to take some time to get accustomed to it.

Nice, gonna put some custom keycaps or just keep it stock?

1 hour ago, Aytex said:

Nice, gonna put some custom keycaps or just keep it stock?

Possibly in the future, with shipping and customs this thing cost me an arm and a leg. Didn't think I would like the rgb lighting but it's growing on me.

Arc Midi R2 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | Intel i5 4690k | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair H80 | Crucial M4 128gb | 8gb 1333 Mushkin Silverline | EVGA G2 750

Filko Ninja TKL Cherry MX Black | Mionix Naos | Fiio e10k | Edifier S330D | Sennheiser HD558 | Blue Snowball | Asus PA238QR | Samsung BX2250

On 1/25/2017 at 6:24 AM, slanensis said:

Honestly, when I saw the new K95, i looooved it!

The k series of keyboards by corsair never had much lights, because of the brushed aluminum, they could light as much as lets say razer keyboards. This gives much more light to the keyboard.

Soo, that keyboard you quoted seems reeeeealy good, especially for the price.

I have the MK Disco and it's a pretty good board. though for an RGB keyboard, it isn't as customizable as the Corsair keyboards or even the Ducky shine boards, which the Disco is based off of. 

honestly the MK Fission board i've linked above is nice because it has Clear and Milk switches, two switches i really want to try out. i've tested both on a switch tester i got and they feel a lot nicer than Browns, but i can't compare until i have a keyboard with the switches. 

8 hours ago, Technicolors said:

I have the MK Disco and it's a pretty good board. though for an RGB keyboard, it isn't as customizable as the Corsair keyboards or even the Ducky shine boards, which the Disco is based off of. 

honestly the MK Fission board i've linked above is nice because it has Clear and Milk switches, two switches i really want to try out. i've tested both on a switch tester i got and they feel a lot nicer than Browns, but i can't compare until i have a keyboard with the switches. 

Because of the place I live, I haven't tested any other switches than Blues and Browns. I own a keyboard with browns, so I can't disagree or agree with you. I have read the these 2 switches are really satisfying to type on.

As I have said to my review of the K70, I like corsair's software. I like it because I dont mess with CREATING THE LIGHTING MODE. I let other people do that, and then download their profiles. That's it. I just import a lighting profile, from the zip file that i have with 100s of profiles, and voila, it works!

Project "Transcend": i7 7700k-R9 380 4GB by MSi, Z170-HD3P

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $453 ($123 with sales)
  • Games owned: 76
  • Games not played: 40 (53%)
  • Hours on record: 667.0h

Thought I'd join in on this. I've got a Dell AT101(no W, pre Windows key). It is great, except the C key doesn't work. It has Alps switches as well. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 1:57 AM, slanensis said:

Because of the place I live, I haven't tested any other switches than Blues and Browns. I own a keyboard with browns, so I can't disagree or agree with you. I have read the these 2 switches are really satisfying to type on.

As I have said to my review of the K70, I like corsair's software. I like it because I dont mess with CREATING THE LIGHTING MODE. I let other people do that, and then download their profiles. That's it. I just import a lighting profile, from the zip file that i have with 100s of profiles, and voila, it works!

Wow, where do you live? :(

40 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

Wow, where do you live? :(

Greece, tell me about it xD I was collecting cash for it for ~3 months, doing chores, mowing lawns and taking dogs out for walks. eksde

1 minute ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Ive got a K95 finally

Which one tho?

1 minute ago, slanensis said:

Which one tho?

K95 RGB with MX Browns. It was the same price as the K70 so I got it

Breaking things 1 day at a time

K95 RGB with MX Browns. It was the same price as the K70 so I got it

So, not the LUX, the normal k95? Can you tell me how much you paid?

Oh wow! price has dropped! The k95 sith reds costed 210$ december 2015.

1 minute ago, slanensis said:

Oh wow! price has dropped! The k95 sith reds costed 210$ december 2015.

Yeah. Everyone was getting the K70 so they are the same price

Yeah. Everyone was getting the K70 so they are the same price

I thought that the k95 was reeeeally big for my workspace. I couldn't handle it. No pun intended.

9 minutes ago, slanensis said:

I thought that the k95 was reeeeally big for my workspace. I couldn't handle it. No pun intended.

Well it is big enough for me ;) 

KBParadise V60GTR with Gat browns. The keycaps are NPKC PBT front-print caps bought off eBay to get somewhat close to the popular Miami set, but without the legends on the top. The pinks didn't end up quite as vibrant as I had hoped, and are more pastel than anything, but in the end I'm okay with that. The Gat browns are incredibly smooth, and the bump does seem a bit more noticeable than the cherry MX counterparts. Exactly what I needed after I fell out of love with the blues on my Logitech G710. I also put some 50A .4mm o-rings on to even further reduce noise, but now it may be too quiet. I'll give it a week before deciding whether to keep them on or not.

Side note: My mousepad and keyboard respectively grew and shrank quite disproportionately. I went from the G710 full size with macros, and a Roccat Taito control mid-size to this V60GTR and a Glorious PC Gaming Race 3XL mat, and it is one of the best changes I have made to my setup so far. :)

IMG_20170131_162138.jpg

CPU: i7 7700k @ 4.9GHz Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 RAM: 16 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 Case:Phanteks Evolv TG

I have a Razer Blackwidow 2016 w/ Razer Orange switches. I want to get the Blackwidow Chroma V2 and try out the Razer Yellows.

On 1/26/2017 at 7:00 PM, Technicolors said:

Shameless plug, in case you wanted more info on the MK Fission: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MechanicalKeyboards/MK_Fission/

1 hour ago, VSG said:

Shameless plug, in case you wanted more info on the MK Fission: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MechanicalKeyboards/MK_Fission/

Just a heads up, that board isn't actually offered in all of the variants of MX switches (in your article, you said it's available in all 9 switch types). You forgot about Tactile and Linear Grey.

Also, the Cap profile is just OEM, not Cherry OEM (Cherry Profile and OEM Profile are two different things.)

Edit: The spacebar holes do not allow you to move the cap sideways (the Cherry stabs reach to the outside end on either side of the keyboard). The Different spots on the spacebar are for different brands of keyboard - I think Leopold or Filco (and possibly old Cherry boards?) will have an offset spacebar switch, and sometime shorter spacebar stabs.

I don't understand what the big deal is about the USB 2 vs. 3 is, It's not like keyboards use enough bandwidth to make USB 3 make sense.

Also, One thing to note is that (at least last year, not 100% certain about the current state of affairs), Cherry MX switches actually were not very consistent, especially between blue and brown switches, which would often have different levels of scratchy-ness, and for blues in particular, the clicking would not work on some switches.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

3 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Just a heads up, that board isn't actually offered in all of the variants of MX switches (in your article, you said it's available in all 9 switch types). You forgot about Tactile and Linear Grey.

Also, the Cap profile is just OEM, not Cherry OEM (Cherry Profile and OEM Profile are two different things.)

Edit: The spacebar holes do not allow you to move the cap sideways (the Cherry stabs reach to the outside end on either side of the keyboard). The Different spots on the spacebar are for different brands of keyboard - I think Leopold or Filco (and possibly old Cherry boards?) will have an offset spacebar switch, and sometime shorter spacebar stabs.

I don't understand what the big deal is about the USB 2 vs. 3 is, It's not like keyboards use enough bandwidth to make USB 3 make sense.

Also, One thing to note is that (at least last year, not 100% certain about the current state of affairs), Cherry MX switches actually were not very consistent, especially between blue and brown switches, which would often have different levels of scratchy-ness, and for blues in particular, the clicking would not work on some switches.

can you elaborate on the differences between cherry profile and OEM profile? 

---

in other news i have noticed that the Vortex PBT caps i've got has a small nub on the side-top of some caps. honestly not a big deal but it feels a bit strange 

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 0:37 PM, slanensis said:

Greece, tell me about it xD I was collecting cash for it for ~3 months, doing chores, mowing lawns and taking dogs out for walks. eksde

haha, I see.  You look pretty cute in your avatar :) You aren't Asian are you? (so small image).

17 hours ago, Technicolors said:

can you elaborate on the differences between cherry profile and OEM profile? 

---

in other news i have noticed that the Vortex PBT caps i've got has a small nub on the side-top of some caps. honestly not a big deal but it feels a bit strange 

Spoiler

kFxqOm8.jpg

The spoiler has a photo with just about every profile available. 

Basically, Cherry profile is a little bit lower profile, and the edges on the caps are square, rather than rounded. The caps also have a different radius for the scooping, I believe. Older Cherry profile sets also have scooped homing keys, rather than keys with bars (which I personally prefer.)

Other than that, the two profiles are somewhat similar. I prefer typing on Cherry profile though. I'm much more accurate on Cherry profile caps. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

On 2/1/2017 at 11:37 PM, KaminKevCrew said:

Mind letting me know where you saw "all 9 switch types" or similar wording? I don't see where I mentioned this as opposed to saying this comes with an option of 9 Cherry MX switches. 

As I see it, Cherry profile is different from Cherry OEM profile which in turn is what is generally referred to as OEM profile now. This is based on info from the Cherry Americas rep from when I was working on review of the MX 6.0

Actually a lot of RGB lit keyboards need the power that a USB 3.0 port provides. The bandwidth is not the issue. The reason I bring it up is mostly for people who are interested to map out their USB port usage/allocation. 

Thanks for the information about the space bar, I will update that bit. 

The MX RGB switches have been more prone to QC issues, especially the MX Blue RGB. Regarding the "scratchy" feeling, I know what you mean after having tried out some Gateron linear and tactile switches. The switches here were fine, and there was consistent tactility on them as tested by the tension gauge and calipers. 

6 hours ago, VSG said:

Mind letting me know where you saw "all 9 switch types" or similar wording? I don't see where I mentioned this as opposed to saying this comes with an option of 9 Cherry MX switches. 

As I see it, Cherry profile is different from Cherry OEM profile which in turn is what is generally referred to as OEM profile now. This is based on info from the Cherry Americas rep from when I was working on review of the MX 6.0

Actually a lot of RGB lit keyboards need the power that a USB 3.0 port provides. The bandwidth is not the issue. The reason I bring it up is mostly for people who are interested to map out their USB port usage/allocation. 

Thanks for the information about the space bar, I will update that bit. 

The MX RGB switches have been more prone to QC issues, especially the MX Blue RGB. Regarding the "scratchy" feeling, I know what you mean after having tried out some Gateron linear and tactile switches. The switches here were fine, and there was consistent tactility on them as tested by the tension gauge and calipers. 

I was talking about here on the first page:  Boasting all genuine Cherry MX switches, you can choose between nine different Cherry MX switch types

But on second reading, I think I was misinterpreting. It looks like you meant: boasting all genuine cherry mx switches (as in, no other brands of switches are available for this keyboard)

Rather than: Boasting all genuine cherry MX switch varieties. 

My mistake!

Thanks for the info on the RGB! The reason that it didn't really make sense to me in this context is because enthusiast custom boards that have RGB underglow are all USB 2.0, so I was coming from that camp.

It was a very good write-up!

Hey! New SIgnature!