Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
On 2016-11-08 at 10:17 AM, RollinLower said:

Right, posting here in the hopes some of you could help me out. 

I'm looking for a heavy (preferably aluminium) keyboard with cherry red switches.

I ised to have the K65, and absolutely loved it. i'm looking for a little more feautures now though, like RGB lighting.

Can anybody help me out?

I jumped off my G710+ for a K65 RGB with mx Brown like a month ago and I'm in love with this keyboard, so if you're only looking for the RGB lighting just upgrade ^^

i'm looking for cherry mx clear keyboards with backlighting, but they're hard to come by.. anyone know of any? 

also what's everyone opinion on this board? looks pretty fantastic, but the switches look sketchy.. seem they use outemu blues 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YXFXMG2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3GUBC2JO7OV4P&coliid=I2TI5YBFBLRTTO

Hi everyone;

I bought my first mechanical keyboard, mostly to test the feeling, not knowing whether or not I'd like it I wanted a cheap one, so I choose the Mechanical Eagle Z77 for 35€ on amazon. It has copy of mx blue inside, and I have to say they feel good. Only problem is that I couldn't find any cheap azerty keyboard, they are all qwerty. I can type on it all right but if I ever look at the keyboard I find it very distracting. So I'm debating to paint the keycaps allblack (don't want to buy a set of allblack keycaps to limit the cost). So what kind of paint do you think would be the best to paint keycaps? I might try plastidip... Or maybe a more permanent approach; I've seen some mate finish spray cans in a shop that really leaves a nice silken smooth finish. But will it rapidly wear out over time?

I don't want to spend more than 10$ on new keycaps if I do, because I might buy a nice corsair keyboard later and would rather put the money on a nice one than is keycaps for my dirt cheap Chinese one.

22 hours ago, CodeArtha said:

Hi everyone;

I bought my first mechanical keyboard, mostly to test the feeling, not knowing whether or not I'd like it I wanted a cheap one, so I choose the Mechanical Eagle Z77 for 35€ on amazon. It has copy of mx blue inside, and I have to say they feel good. Only problem is that I couldn't find any cheap azerty keyboard, they are all qwerty. I can type on it all right but if I ever look at the keyboard I find it very distracting. So I'm debating to paint the keycaps allblack (don't want to buy a set of allblack keycaps to limit the cost). So what kind of paint do you think would be the best to paint keycaps? I might try plastidip... Or maybe a more permanent approach; I've seen some mate finish spray cans in a shop that really leaves a nice silken smooth finish. But will it rapidly wear out over time?

I don't want to spend more than 10$ on new keycaps if I do, because I might buy a nice corsair keyboard later and would rather put the money on a nice one than is keycaps for my dirt cheap Chinese one.

Plasti dip is your best choice, you can at least take it off afterwards if you dont like it...

To be fair you can buy a set of blanks for pretty cheap! I mean I can find a blank white set on ebay for £13.88 delivered.

3 minutes ago, the pokemon kid said:

Plasti dip is your best choice, you can at least take it off afterwards if you dont like it...

but it will not last very long.

Just now, Charger said:

but it will not last very long.

Depends on how many coats are applied. If three coats are applied I think it would last a short time... In general I think buying a new set would be an easier option. No messing around with paint...

Just now, the pokemon kid said:

Depends on how many coats are applied. If three coats are applied I think it would last a short time... In general I think buying a new set would be an easier option. No messing around with paint...

new caps are the best option. I put 3 coats of plasti dip on a diy keyboard case and i noticed it coming off about a month or so later 

I got my MK Disco today, and it's a pure joy to use. The TKL format will take some time to get used to but this keyboard is so tiny! also regained some space for my mouse. might have to get a wrist rest though 

I've used the G710+ beforehand and it had cherry brown switches, so i opted for browns again. the KBT switches the MK Disco uses legitimately feels smoother and lighter than the cherry browns. also the bottoming out is not as noisy as the G710+ 

so I'm looking for a wireless/wired hybrid that's good for gaming, any Ideas?

So I saw the E-Element keyboard having another drop (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/e-element-rgb-keyboard?mode=guest_open) and I was wondering if it was a good value for a first time mechanical keyboard after only using membrane. I'm getting the white case/black switches config if you are wondering.

I have done some research on the Outemu switches and they seem to be reliably on par with Gateron and Kailh when compared to MX Cherry switches as far as quality and reputation goes. I am, however, a bit worried that I may not be getting my money's worth for the keyboard since the switches aren't MX Cherry. I have been debating with myself between buying it and one from Corsair's mechanical keyboard lines ever since the first drop. I very much enjoy the Corsair M60 mouse that I have and I know those guys don't go cheap with anything but I don't want to spend upwards of $150 USD for a keyboard from a seller I know and can trust.

Any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help.

On 11/24/2016 at 0:25 PM, Jean-Nicholas said:

So I saw the E-Element keyboard having another drop (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/e-element-rgb-keyboard?mode=guest_open) and I was wondering if it was a good value for a first time mechanical keyboard after only using membrane. I'm getting the white case/black switches config if you are wondering.

I have done some research on the Outemu switches and they seem to be reliably on par with Gateron and Kailh when compared to MX Cherry switches as far as quality and reputation goes. I am, however, a bit worried that I may not be getting my money's worth for the keyboard since the switches aren't MX Cherry. I have been debating with myself between buying it and one from Corsair's mechanical keyboard lines ever since the first drop. I very much enjoy the Corsair M60 mouse that I have and I know those guys don't go cheap with anything but I don't want to spend upwards of $150 USD for a keyboard from a seller I know and can trust.

Any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help.

You'll be ok with the outemus. there are not genuine cherry switches but they're good enough. I think they are a tad lighter than the cherry equivalent, but that is all as far as I know. The board you have purchased is hot-swappable switches so you can try changing them if you like. 

2 hours ago, Technicolors said:

You'll be ok with the outemus. there are not genuine cherry switches but they're good enough. I think they are a tad lighter than the cherry equivalent, but that is all as far as I know. The board you have purchased is hot-swappable switches so you can try changing them if you like. 

I figured and yeah, I might consider swap the switches down the road at some point... but maybe not... I don't know how I'll end up liking it.

I ordered Steelseries M800  would be my First mechanical Keyboard Upgrading From a Cheap Dell Wireless (Came with my Dad's AiO)

Hi all

I have been looking at mechanical keyboards recently, and my decision now rests on 2 keyboards. Either the Corsair Vengeance K65 Compact (Anyone knows when the sale on amazon ends?), or the Gigabyte Force K83. Both are Cherry MX Red (This is my first mechanical keyboard). Backlighting is not a major concern for me but it is a plus, and the number pad is not important either. Purchasing in South Africa, so prices including shipping for me are roughly the same.

Between the two, what would you recommend? Any help appreciated ; )

5 hours ago, Flynn The Human said:

Hi all

I have been looking at mechanical keyboards recently, and my decision now rests on 2 keyboards. Either the Corsair Vengeance K65 Compact (Anyone knows when the sale on amazon ends?), or the Gigabyte Force K83. Both are Cherry MX Red (This is my first mechanical keyboard). Backlighting is not a major concern for me but it is a plus, and the number pad is not important either. Purchasing in South Africa, so prices including shipping for me are roughly the same.

Between the two, what would you recommend? Any help appreciated ; )

The only buying difference is media buttons and the k65 being TKL

If you don't mind the TKL layout the k65

If you need a numbed the k83

6 hours ago, Xreldo said:

Mx Speed Gotta go fast

i just got a k70 with mx speeds. I just bought it for the switches so i plan to take them out and put them in a 60% build 

Anyone knows how to get rid of dust  it is really bugging me as my keyboard m800  is not registering some keys  including h,j,m,v,b,t and some nos 

Ps  all the lights still work and if a new profile is used the colors do change

Just bought myself a Logitech G910 'board, for 50% off over on Amazon. My first mechanical keyboard, I wanted something to go with my G502 mouse but wasn't willing to pay over £100 for it. Deal was made in heaven!

Anyway I love it. My brother liked the noise and feel of it so he bought a Corsair K90 RGB, which has better RGB options, but I'm not a fan of the light bleed and, while I'm not sure what key caps it uses, it is definitely harder to feel the actuation point, where my G910 you can feel the distance you have to press before it reads your input, which I really like. Also, the G910 is heavy. It is very difficult to move around when you need to without lifting it. 

Mine came with "normal" key caps, not those weird angled things that feature in Linus' build.

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

8 hours ago, JustChilliing said:

Just bought myself a Logitech G910 'board, for 50% off over on Amazon. My first mechanical keyboard, I wanted something to go with my G502 mouse but wasn't willing to pay over £100 for it. Deal was made in heaven!

Anyway I love it. My brother liked the noise and feel of it so he bought a Corsair K90 RGB, which has better RGB options, but I'm not a fan of the light bleed and, while I'm not sure what key caps it uses, it is definitely harder to feel the actuation point, where my G910 you can feel the distance you have to press before it reads your input, which I really like. Also, the G910 is heavy. It is very difficult to move around when you need to without lifting it. 

Mine came with "normal" key caps, not those weird angled things that feature in Linus' build.

Damn it! I bought the Corsair Strafe late October and totally forgot Black Friday was near, and forgot to check the G910 on Black Friday, and now I regret it.

Also, I think your brother might be using Cherry MX Reds, is the key super light to press? Cherry MX Reds actuates at 2mm.

By the way, I have a question for you, do the Romer-G key presses on the G910 feel mushy at all? Thanks =P

@KayTees' Little Brother

My PC: Stepping Stones (2019)

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B360 HD3

RAM: HyperX Fury 8GB (2x4) Black DDR4-2133GHz

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Titanium 8GB

Case: Thermaltake View 27
Storage: SanDisk 2.5" 128GB SSD | Western Digital 3.5" 1TB HDD

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W

Displays: LG 27GL63TBenQ GW2270 21.5"

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ Cherry MX Red Switches & 2010 Razer Blackwidow w/ Cherry MX Blues Switches

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Headset: V-MODA Crossfade M-100

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 LTSC

Last updated: August 10, 2020 at 2:10 PM

Mobile Devices:

Spoiler

Phone: OnePlus 7 Pro Almond (OnePlus GM1917)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8" (SM-T330NU)

Previous Phones: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910W8), OnePlus 5T (OnePlus A5010), OnePlus 6 (OnePlus A6003)

PCPartsPicker:

Spoiler

PCPartsPicker Link: http://tiny.cc/KenTees

Last updated: April 23, 2019 at 2:00 PM

16 hours ago, KenTees said:

Damn it! I bought the Corsair Strafe late October and totally forgot Black Friday was near, and forgot to check the G910 on Black Friday, and now I regret it.

Also, I think your brother might be using Cherry MX Reds, is the key super light to press? Cherry MX Reds actuates at 2mm.

By the way, I have a question for you, do the Romer-G key presses on the G910 feel mushy at all? Thanks =P

We all make mistakes!!

Yes that sounds right, I think the Romer-G's actuate at 1.5mm? You can feel the difference.

As for mushy, they do feel slightly more mushy than the Strafe, but you're typing so quick you don't really notice it? I don't know, I like how they feel! xD

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black