Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

Been busy. Hopefully should finish my board soon. Need to cut holes in wood to allow for mini USB ports. Then finish the wood, solder and glue in teensy, order some 5v rgb light strips, solder that to the 5v on teensy (to be controlled with remote).

Then I'm done.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

10 minutes ago, spwath said:

Been busy. Hopefully should finish my board soon. Need to cut holes in wood to allow for mini USB ports. Then finish the wood, solder and glue in teensy, order some 5v rgb light strips, solder that to the 5v on teensy (to be controlled with remote).

Then I'm done.

What wood have you made it out of? 

I am going to have to do the same for my build, I need to drill out a larger section for the Adafruits breakout board.

2 hours ago, the pokemon kid said:

What wood have you made it out of? 

I am going to have to do the same for my build, I need to drill out a larger section for the Adafruits breakout board.

I bought some nice oak I think it was.

Allready cut it all

20160827_115145.jpg

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

59 minutes ago, spwath said:

I bought some nice oak I think it was.

Allready cut it all

Nice! I am a big fan of Oak and walnut! Is there a slope on the wristrests?

What finish are you using on the Oak?

27 minutes ago, the pokemon kid said:

Nice! I am a big fan of Oak and walnut! Is there a slope on the wristrests?

What finish are you using on the Oak?

No slope as of yet, I'll have to do some testing to see what feels good.

Not sure about finish yet.

1 hour ago, spwath said:

No slope as of yet, I'll have to do some testing to see what feels good.

Not sure about finish yet.

Yeh, find out what works for yourself! They are quite long so you can get away with most stuff!

You can stain it any colour you like within reason, but you will need to seal it otherwise the wood will get disgusting real fast!

got myself some O-rings for my K70 yesterday, it was tedius as hell to install them because i couldent find my keycap remover but its pretty nice now that its done, i miss the sound of the keys hitting the metal plate but it feels faster to type on and better when playing OSU so i can deal with it :) 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Nice looking board! Did it come with that keycap set?

Nope. It came with one of those white translucent ABS keysets. Like this:

dgHfJdb.png

That's the stock set.

I don't mind not having the backlight on so I decided to change the caps for a bunch of ones I had laying around... it's a mix of a couple different caps, mostly cheap Tai-Hao caps. :P

10 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

got myself some O-rings for my K70 yesterday, it was tedius as hell to install them because i couldent find my keycap remover but its pretty nice now that its done, i miss the sound of the keys hitting the metal plate but it feels faster to type on and better when playing OSU so i can deal with it :) 

Careful of pulling them up without a keycap puller. I ripped at whole switch out of the board doing the same thing!

Also you think thats tedius! I have to open up ever switch and swap the springs and lube the sliders yet!

10 hours ago, Vox_Lusa said:

Nope. It came with one of those white translucent ABS keysets. Like this:

That's the stock set.

I don't mind not having the backlight on so I decided to change the caps for a bunch of ones I had laying around... it's a mix of a couple different caps, mostly cheap Tai-Hao caps. :P

Yeh, the stock set doesnt look as nice. They look like the razer type face keycaps...

I actually want to get some black shine through caps for my next Phantom build! However they seam really difficult to find unless their are already on a keyboard as stock.

Case feet are now on! Painted in gun metal and the hole increased to M6 thread so it is supported on the case.

2016-10-15 14.43.40.jpg

I also got the back of the keyboard milled out a little. This is so I can put my Adafruits breakout board in place for the female Mini USB connection!

2016-10-15 14.44.10.jpg

I then got some touch up paint to colour the milled area back in. 

2016-10-15 14.54.00.jpg

Now I just have to make a USB breakout board to Mini USB for the internal connection and we are nearly good to go! Just waiting on the springs (Have landed in the UK) to turn up! Then it is just the keycaps!

Case feet are now on! Painted in gun metal and the hole increased to M6 thread so it is supported on the case.

2016-10-15 14.43.40.jpg

I also got the back of the keyboard milled out a little. This is so I can put my Adafruits breakout board in place for the female Mini USB connection!

2016-10-15 14.44.10.jpg

I then got some touch up paint to colour the milled area back in. 

2016-10-15 14.54.00.jpg

Now I just have to make a USB breakout board to Mini USB for the internal connection and we are nearly good to go! Just waiting on the springs (Have landed in the UK) to turn up! Then it is just the keycaps!

I love the case. This will turn out to be a great looking build, I'm sure.

Keep us posted... now I want to see the end result! :)

9 hours ago, Vox_Lusa said:

I love the case. This will turn out to be a great looking build, I'm sure.

Keep us posted... now I want to see the end result! :)

Thanks! It has taken a bit of modding to get the case to how I like it but now its feeling pretty good!

Made the cable. Breakout board to mini male USB. Might of gone a bit mad with the hot glue!

2016-10-16 22.09.48.jpg

2016-10-16 22.10.45.jpg

Hey guys, 

I'm trying to find a set of PBT translucent keycaps for a new keyboard that I bought recently. The Vortex Doubleshot set looks great but I can't find it in stock anywhere online. I know AliExpress has a few alternatives, but I'm not sure about how good they are. I know that a set of Doubleshot PBT Translucent keycaps are rare to begin with, not to mention the fact that I want them in black. 

I'd appreciate any help/leads on where I can find a set. 

11 hours ago, knkritpillw said:

Hey guys, 

I'm trying to find a set of PBT translucent keycaps for a new keyboard that I bought recently. The Vortex Doubleshot set looks great but I can't find it in stock anywhere online. I know AliExpress has a few alternatives, but I'm not sure about how good they are. I know that a set of Doubleshot PBT Translucent keycaps are rare to begin with, not to mention the fact that I want them in black. 

I'd appreciate any help/leads on where I can find a set. 

How about any of these on Max Keyboards?

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/products/cherry-mx-keycap/ansi-layout-keycap-set/

I have a K70 RGB Cherry brown, like many others, and I love it.

But.... I'm on the lookout for a keyboard with the same specs, but with a large Return/Enter key like the UK keyboards while keeping the long left shift key.

Any help on that would be much appreciated.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

On 10/14/2016 at 7:25 PM, the pokemon kid said:

Careful of pulling them up without a keycap puller. I ripped at whole switch out of the board doing the same thing!

Also you think thats tedius! I have to open up ever switch and swap the springs and lube the sliders yet!

Or desoldering a board. Or hand wiring and soldering a board.

I've been busy, I need to finish my board. Thanksgiving break should give me some time.

On 10/14/2016 at 4:25 PM, the pokemon kid said:

Yeh, the stock set doesnt look as nice. They look like the razer type face keycaps...

I actually want to get some black shine through caps for my next Phantom build! However they seam really difficult to find unless their are already on a keyboard as stock.

you want to talk tedious build @TheProfosist a keyboard. spring swap, stickers, lube, trampoline mod, orings

22 minutes ago, spwath said:

Or desoldering a board. Or hand wiring and soldering a board.

I've been busy, I need to finish my board. Thanksgiving break should give me some time.

I am never taking on a self wiring job! Too much hassle!

I literally just had the strangest issue I have ever had!

I have just modded my filco's cable to be a short internal one. I plugged it in to test it and it was wiorking. Swapped the keyboard back over to my GON and suddenly only the D and F keys are working and they are switch between screens. I then restart and only the I key is working and its tabbing...

I restart the PC and everything is back to normal! Really weird!

4 minutes ago, the pokemon kid said:

I am never taking on a self wiring job! Too much hassle!

I literally just had the strangest issue I have ever had!

I have just modded my filco's cable to be a short internal one. I plugged it in to test it and it was wiorking. Swapped the keyboard back over to my GON and suddenly only the D and F keys are working and they are switch between screens. I then restart and only the I key is working and its tabbing...

I restart the PC and everything is back to normal! Really weird!

hand whiting isnt really that hard or that much work assuming you have an idea of what to do. I can hand wire with just a bit more time than if I was just soldering into a pcb

8 minutes ago, Charger said:

hand whiting isnt really that hard or that much work assuming you have an idea of what to do. I can hand wire with just a bit more time than if I was just soldering into a pcb

I just think that a pre done PCB is more elegant a solution. I am always amazed when someone has hand wired it, but definitely something I want to avoid doing if there is a PCB available!

I mean, I could go with a hand wired solution for my alps board, but I want to wait for Blue Nangles Alps PCB as I just cant be bothered with the hassle of hand wiring it!

3 minutes ago, the pokemon kid said:

I just think that a pre done PCB is more elegant a solution. I am always amazed when someone has hand wired it, but definitely something I want to avoid doing if there is a PCB available!

I mean, I could go with a hand wired solution for my alps board, but I want to wait for Blue Nangles Alps PCB as I just cant be bothered with the hassle of hand wiring it!

Ya agreed don't hand wire unless you have to for a custom layout or mod with no available pcb.  And if you can make a pcb do so lol.

1 hour ago, Charger said:

you want to talk tedious build @TheProfosist a keyboard. spring swap, stickers, lube, trampoline mod, orings

Why would anyone do o rings with a trampoline mod? (I've done all of those mods... It really is a PITA.)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

4 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Why would anyone do o rings with a trampoline mod? (I've done all of those mods... It really is a PITA.)

Orings were more for dampening the noise the keycaps would still make when going up (that's the theory anyways lol)