Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
On 9/28/2016 at 1:04 PM, the pokemon kid said:

Hi All,

Well I have got some custom keyboard work coming up shortly on my Phantom board! I am getting a section for the controller milled out of the aluminium so that it sits a bit better, I am also then getting it resprayed as its got a few small damage marks on it. I took it to a local powder coaters and they have given me a good price to have it done...

Here are my options (They are on alloys because thats the majority of his work.):

Like a gun metal Grey

Or Matte Black

Or a Gun metal Blue

Or A slighly darker Satin silver

Or the the same silver it is now...

This is the keycap set I have got coming for this keyboard!

Tell me what you think!

I am not 100% sure on the black as my other keyboards are black and I want something else, I am swaying towards that beautiful gunmetal grey or blue!

Gunmetal blue

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

i forgot i had one of razer's older blackwidow keyboards with the cherry switches instead of their greens. this was my first time taking a keycap off of it and i was surprised to see a blue switch. for a while ive been thinking that i had razer's older greens which ive heard werent as good as their newer greens and presumably blues as well. i feel special 

IMG_20161001_185346501_HDR.jpg

also yeah, i should probably clean it lol

On 01/10/2016 at 3:11 PM, spwath said:

Gunmetal blue

I am not sure about Gunmetal blue anymore... Might be too much blue going on! I have got a blue cable too!

Going to check what other colours they also have tomorrow!

Can Steelseries switch QS1 compare to Cherry MX switches? I was thinking of buying Apex M800...

22 hours ago, VoidThinker said:

Can Steelseries switch QS1 compare to Cherry MX switches? I was thinking of buying Apex M800...

That keyboard is not worth the price in my opinion. I've had the opportunity to try one out at a local store and the switches feel like crap tbh. Go with Cherry MX Reds if you want a keyboard with a linear switch. These don't compare to Cherry MX in feel or sound in any way (and probably in quality too).

Plus, you'll be stuck with the stock keyset forever since no manufacturer makes keysets that are compatible with those switches (QS1). And the board comes with a non-standard bottom row too.

I would avoid if I was you.

I was thinking of avoiding Cherry MX because of their common chattering problems. What do you think of Romer-G? Are they worth the price?

Don't get me wrong man but pretty much anybody that is into the mechanical keyboard hobby (myself included) will tell you to avoid Kailh (QS1) and Logitech (Romer-G) switches. None of these two allow for keycaps customization and to be honest the keyboards themselfs are nothing to brag about. You're paying way too much for the quality you're getting.

Cherry MX switches are the way to go (Gaterons are good aswell). Where did you heard of these chattering issues with the Cherry MX switches and what makes you think that QS1 and Romer-G switches are chatter-free?

Chattering can happen one pretty much any mechanical keyboard (except maybe on Topre since it's a mix of rubber domes and "mechanical"). I've had like 9 keyboards with Cherry MX switches and I've never had a single key with chatter in ANY of them.

Wanting to get some pbt keycaps for my k70. I want to custom colour and have text on top. I live in the U.K. So was wondeing if anyone could direct me to a good  place to get custom key caps over here (or a site with good delivery options).

21 hours ago, Vox_Lusa said:

Don't get me wrong man but pretty much anybody that is into the mechanical keyboard hobby (myself included) will tell you to avoid Kailh (QS1) and Logitech (Romer-G) switches. None of these two allow for keycaps customization and to be honest the keyboards themselfs are nothing to brag about. You're paying way too much for the quality you're getting.

Cherry MX switches are the way to go (Gaterons are good aswell). Where did you heard of these chattering issues with the Cherry MX switches and what makes you think that QS1 and Romer-G switches are chatter-free?

Chattering can happen one pretty much any mechanical keyboard (except maybe on Topre since it's a mix of rubber domes and "mechanical"). I've had like 9 keyboards with Cherry MX switches and I've never had a single key with chatter in ANY of them.

Reading experiences of other people I realized that someone who has problems with mech. keyboard with Cherry MX switches usually have problems with key chattering (double letters) or his key stop working. That happens within 2-3 years. As far as I now Romer-G are less prone to chattering. That is my opinion, correct me if I wrong.

23 hours ago, Vox_Lusa said:

You can swap keycaps on kaihl. They use cherry stems

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

18 minutes ago, spwath said:

You can swap keycaps on kaihl. They use cherry stems

True, yes, you can. But that's on normal Kailh switches (the ones that are "clones" of the Cherry MX switches).

You can't swap keycaps on the QS1 switches that are in the Steelseries M800 keyboards though, these aren't Cherry MX compatible.

2 hours ago, VoidThinker said:

Reading experiences of other people I realized that someone who has problems with mech. keyboard with Cherry MX switches usually have problems with key chattering (double letters) or his key stop working. That happens within 2-3 years. As far as I now Romer-G are less prone to chattering. That is my opinion, correct me if I wrong.

You're not right. It seems to me that you're simply trying to justify going for that Logitech keyboard. If you like it, then go for it.

I don't think it's worth the price... but you might like the experience, we never know.

There's still Logitech keyboards with Cherry MX switches to chose from though (the G610), but they're not RGB like the ones that come with Romer-G's.

So let's say if I buy some MX cherry keyboard it will hypothetical last for about 5+ years, no keys chattering? :) This will be my first mech. keyboard and if I pay a high price for it, I want it to last.

17 minutes ago, VoidThinker said:

So let's say if I buy some MX cherry keyboard it will hypothetical last for about 5+ years, no keys chattering? :) This will be my first mech. keyboard and if I pay a high price for it, I want it to last.

Yeah? That's part of the reason that they're so popular. Just make sure you get a good one, not some crap gaming board. Also, if you forgo LEDs, the board will likely last much longer, since you won't have to worry about the possibility for LED failure.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I have a problem with my K70 corsair RGB can someone help me.

The Problem is that i cleaned my keyboard following linus guide but after putting the keycaps back on the Keyboard the Key S was not working and after a shor it started to spam. The keycap was a bit wet and then i realized that some water from the keycap went into the switch.Can i fix that or should i replace my Keyboard??? Please Help!! Thank you for your time!!

1 hour ago, Pyroland said:

I have a problem with my K70 corsair RGB can someone help me.

The Problem is that i cleaned my keyboard following linus guide but after putting the keycaps back on the Keyboard the Key S was not working and after a shor it started to spam. The keycap was a bit wet and then i realized that some water from the keycap went into the switch.Can i fix that or should i replace my Keyboard??? Please Help!! Thank you for your time!!

unhook it and let it dry out before plugging it back in.

Tomorrow I will be collecting my keyboard from the painters. It has been painted gun metal grey and finished with a Satin lacquer. The reason for the satin lacquer is because the matte finish previously scuffed far too easily!

I also decided to make use of the aluminium case feet I bought off Massdrop. They came with a silly little M4 bold. So I have had that bored out and re-tapped to M6 to match that of the Tex Keyboard case. This has also been sprayed a matching gun metal grey!

Before sending the keyboard case to the painters I had some modifications to it as I have had issues with its design. First off I countersunk the holes for the bolt for the case feet to sit flush as there isnt much space between the case and the PCB. I then got a section for the Teensy controller/ cable routed out so it would not put pressure onto the PCB. This has helped a lot with the pressure it was putting onto the overall board (This flexed my previous plate slightly out of shape).

The keycaps are delayed because of issues at Signature plastics (When arent there delays there...), so I have decided to work on the weighting of the switches. I am a heavy typer and want to add some more resistance to my keys. I am currently using blues and greens on the boards as I love the tactility of them! So I am thinking of upgrading the blues to 65g springs and the greens to 85g springs. What do you think? Will these be a good enough resistance or should I go heavier? I am possibly thinking heavier on the greens. These are set as my modifiers and are greens to stop me pressing them accidentally!

Well I got the stuff from the powder coaters and I am so happy with the results! They look unbelievable!

2016-10-10 11.30.46.jpg

I got the little cone case feet done. Albeit, I have no scratched one up accidentally trying to get the bolt in as they accidentally painted the thread...

2016-10-10 11.30.57.jpg

The overall finish is awesome though! Its got this awesome sparkle to it all which just glistens! 

2016-10-10 11.31.10.jpg

You can see in the image above the custom routing work and the countersunk holes!

2016-10-10 11.31.23.jpg

Just a quick image of the backside of this! Its looking great!

EDIT: I have now ordered some 65g springs for my MX blues and 100g springs for my greens!

It was supposed to be a surprise but I saw the notice from amazon. My wife is getting me a Corsair K95 RGB. Yes I am doing the happy dance... 

1 hour ago, chefmagnus said:

It was supposed to be a surprise but I saw the notice from amazon. My wife is getting me a Corsair K95 RGB. Yes I am doing the happy dance... 

Maybe it is for someone else? lol

2 hours ago, the pokemon kid said:

Bloody typical... I order my springs from Mechanical keyboards right before massdrop do a group buy for them...

yep. I want heavier springs than what they have