XFX R9 390 Good Enough For Skyrim 1080p 60 FPS Maxed Out?

undefeatedmonarch

Hey everyone,

So last week a I received my XFX R9 390 from Newegg.ca for $460 CAD (Shipping and GST)

When I go to play Skyrim (Without mods) I get a constant 60 FPS when I am wondering about in the wilderness or interiors of buildings. However, when I go inside of cities like Riften or Whiterun, where the amount of objects and NPCs is dense, my FPS will dip from 60 to around 30. 40 if I'm lucky.

Now I am wondering if my CPU is what is effecting my performance. My CPU is an AMD FX-6300 6-Core 3.5Ghz.

If it is my CPU that needs to be upgraded, will the Intel i5 4460 be a good choice for gaming, and most importantly, Skyrim? xD

Thank you for the responses! :D

Hey everyone,

So last week a I received my XFX R9 390 from Newegg.ca for $460 CAD (Shipping and GST)

When I go to play Skyrim (Without mods) I get a constant 60 FPS when I am wondering about in the wilderness or interiors of buildings. However, when I go inside of cities like Riften or Whiterun, where the amount of objects and NPCs is dense, my FPS will dip from 60 to around 30. 40 if I'm lucky.

Now I am wondering if my CPU is what is effecting my performance. My CPU is an AMD FX-6300 6-Core 3.5Ghz.

If it is my CPU that needs to be upgraded, will the Intel i5 4460 be a good choice for gaming, and most importantly, Skyrim? xD

The Intel will crush the FX6300. Probs get you constant 60fps where the 6300 can't handle it.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Hey everyone,

Yes, CPU is a bottleneck and 4460 will be fine.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Hey everyone,

Ye that fx 6300 is probably a bottleneck and the i5 4460 is an excellent choice for a gaming CPU.

The dips are because of the CPU, the i5 4460 will give you nice stable fps.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Happy 1000 posts owo

And basically, this.

fsal;kgj I DIDNT EVEN REALIZE I HIT 1K POSTS HURRAY! ;W;

Moist

Yes, CPU is a bottleneck and 4460 will be fine.

Ye that fx 6300 is probably a bottleneck and the i5 4460 is an excellent choice for a gaming CPU.

In any GPU intensive game, he'll be totally fine. In games like The Witcher, Fallout 4 and other heavily unoptimized titles there will be a bottleneck, but as long as the game is optimized there will be none.

You guys love the word "bottleneck."

OP, you're fine pairing those together in games like Battlefield, Battlefront, and some other popular shooters. Skyrim will be fine, with a less power GPU and a more powerful CPU I get ~75 FPS on Ultra High everything. I don't get dips or anything.

I used to be quite active here.

Basically, as long as I can expect 60 FPS constanting, even in cities, with the 4460, I'll be totally happy. xD

In any GPU intensive game, he'll be totally fine. In games like The Witcher, Fallout 4 and other heavily unoptimized titles there will be a bottleneck, but as long as the game is optimized there will be none.

OP, you're fine pairing those together in games like Battlefield, Battlefront, and some other popular shooters. Skyrim will be fine, with a less power GPU and a more powerful CPU I get ~75 FPS on Ultra High everything. I don't get dips or anything.

Did you actually read his post? He plays Skyrim and gets dips. I don't need an explanation for GPU vs CPU intensive games.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Did you actually read his post? He plays Skyrim and gets dips. I don't need an explanation for GPU vs CPU intensive games.

Maybe a driver issue? Gamebryo only uses so many cores, and if it's using 4 Vishera cores the performance should be similar. Again, I don't get dips.

Skyrim loves single core performance. To the point that a 6700k will out perform a 5960x.

Skyrim_GTX970_1280_SLI.png

No one remembers broadwell but me :c

Basically, as long as I can expect 60 FPS constanting, even in cities, with the 4460, I'll be totally happy. xD

Basically, 4460 = yes.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Maybe a driver issue? Gamebryo only uses so many cores, and if it's using 4 Vishera cores the performance should be similar.

Bulldozer CPUs have a shitty IPC. That's it.

Except the 6300 is LITERALLY the only problem for OP, and he didn't say anything about any other game. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

No one remembers broadwell but me :c

Basically, 4460 = yes.

I don't think even Intel remembers Broadwell

Bulldozer CPUs have a shitty IPC. That's it.

Did you read my post?

Now that Crimson introduced DX9 game pacing, crossfire will now be a good option for Skyrim. When, in the future, you want to upgrade:

http://www.pcper.com/image/view/63486?return=node%2F64261

http://www.pcper.com/image/view/63485?return=node%2F64261

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

Except the 6300 is LITERALLY the only problem for OP, and he didn't say anything about any other game. 

Well, Skyrim is the game that I'd play the most for now. However, I do play other games. 

Here are a few examples of games that I've been playing recently:

Just Cause 3

Dirt Rally

Far Cry 4

FIFA 16

Rocket League

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (I know that this game is incredibly easy to run, so I'm not concerned about, just thought that I'd mention it)

Grand Theft Auto V (I play this a lot)

The Witcher III

Would the i5 4460 still perform well over the FX 6300 considering Skyrim and the games mentioned above? Thanks!

Well, Skyrim is the game that I'd play the most for now. However, I do play other games.

Just Cause 3

Dirt Rally

Far Cry 4

FIFA 16

Rocket League

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (I know that this game is incredibly easy to run, so I'm not concerned about, just thought that I'd mention it)

The Witcher III

Would the i5 4460 still perform well over the FX 6300 considering Skyrim and the games mentioned above? Thanks!

You will see an improvement in Far Cry 4 and Just Cause 3. Maybe Dirt Rally.

Just Cause 3

Dirt Rally

Far Cry 4

FIFA 16

Rocket League

The Witcher III

i5 vs 6300

JC3 - no idea, it's a broken port

Dirt - likely better

FC4 - likely better

Fifa - no idea

CS:GO - vastly superior

GTA V - 0 difference

Witcher 3 - 0 difference

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6