Best 24 inch monitor under $200

nkucz
Go to solution Solved by MrGidwani,

like if I wanna play bf3 and turn off second monitor i will be ok?

I don't believe so. I'm not the most informed in this subject matter, but I believe that you'd have to remove the second monitor from the Nvidia Control Panel and re-add it when you want it, otherwise your 660 will still be it's input even when it's turned off. Even when the 2nd monitor is off, if you have it setup to be a single desktop, your mouse will still be able to slide into it's screen space, but you just won't see it. I'm not sure if this is possible, but something may work is if your CPU has integrated graphics, you could power your 144Hz one with your GPU and your IPS one with Integrated graphics. I don't even know if the technology works like that, I'm thinking out loud here... But if it could work, that could be a solution.

Looking to do a dual display with 24 inch monitors hopefully under $200 or around there for each one so like $400 for both. I would like a matte screen and 120hz!

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

for gaming

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

for gaming

What about IPS? You know, good color definition? That can be an important aspect of gaming.

for gaming

But why 2 120Hz for gaming? Who uses 2 monitors both for displaying a game? The line in the middle of the picture would be completely distracting and annoying. Most people I know will have 1 120Hz for gaming and a TN/IPS for web browsing, video watching, etc. And to your more recent post with the link to the ASUS monitor on Newegg, no, that one is not 120Hz.

Intel i5 3570K - ASRock Extreme4 - Corsair Vengeance 8Gb RAM - ASUS GTX 660 Ti - Samsung 840 250Gb SSD (OS-Games) - WD 750Gb HDD (Storage) - Corsair TX650W PSU - Corsair 300R

But why 2 120Hz for gaming? Who uses 2 monitors both for displaying a game? The line in the middle of the picture would be completely distracting and annoying. Most people I know will have 1 120Hz for gaming and a TN/IPS for web browsing, video watching, etc. And to your more recent post with the link to the ASUS monitor on Newegg, no, that one is not 120Hz.

only using one for gaming... one for tasks while gaming like youtube and stuff

only using one for gaming... one for tasks while gaming like youtube and stuff

Yes, but why does the 2nd one need to be 120Hz as well? What applications/programs besides gaming would you use that would require a 120Hz display? I believe Youtube only displays at 30Hz.

Intel i5 3570K - ASRock Extreme4 - Corsair Vengeance 8Gb RAM - ASUS GTX 660 Ti - Samsung 840 250Gb SSD (OS-Games) - WD 750Gb HDD (Storage) - Corsair TX650W PSU - Corsair 300R

Yes, but why does the 2nd one need to be 120Hz as well? What applications/programs besides gaming would you use that would require a 120Hz display? I believe Youtube only displays at 30Hz.

it doesn't

so aroound $400 for both .. .one doesn't have eto be 120hz and can be a lil smaller its just for surfing web and youtube and stuff the other is for gaming xD

so aroound $400 for both .. .one doesn't have eto be 120hz and can be a lil smaller its just for surfing web and youtube and stuff the other is for gaming xD

If the second one doesn't have to be 120Hz, AND it can be smaller, what's wrong with your current monitor you linked?

System specs:  CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 705e unlocked to x4 overclocked to 2.8GHz   |   MB: ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS   |   Cooler: Hyper 212+   |   GPU: MSI GTX 560ti OC to 910Mhz   |   RAM: 8GB PNY DDR3 1333   |   HDDS: WD Caviar Blue 320GB, Hitachi 500GB HDD   |   PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W   |   Peripherals: Microsoft wireless mouse, old mac keyboard, ASUS VS238H, Gateway FPD2275W, some speakers, Logitech Driving Force Pro

If the second one doesn't have to be 120Hz, AND it can be smaller, what's wrong with your current monitor you linked?

do you think it's fine? it's not a tn panel

also do you think a gtx 660 can handle it? will be upgrading eventually

it doesn't

Ok, I guess I misunderstood then. When you replied to the question "Why 2 120Hz monitors?" and you said "for gaming", it mislead me since I thought you were implying that you needed 2 120Hz monitors to play games. Since you don't, then I would recommend that ASUS Monitor you linked from Newegg as a good IPS monitor.

Edit: Also, it depends what games your playing if a GTX 660 will handle it. It'll handle the 2 monitors just fine, but in terms of getting 120Hz in games, it depends. Obviously, you'll be fine with Source games and Unreal engine and such, but you'll have to check the benchmarks for the games you play to see if it will work out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260055

Dell 1080p IPS Ultrasharp monitor for $189 when using promo code.

IPS > 120Hz TN imo

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Okay, I'd recommend that you spend all your money on a good monitor that'll give you a really nice picture unless you plan on upgrading your graphics card or play on lower settings. Let me make a few hypotheticals.

Scenario 1:

Buy a 120HZ TN monitor. In order to fully utilize it with your 660 at 1080p, you'll be compromising graphical settings in order to get above 60 FPS. You would also keep your current monitor and use it as your second monitor. For best experience you would have to upgrade your graphics card. I wouldn't recommend this option. 

Scenario 2: 

Buy a good 60Hz monitor with good image quality. Your 660 will be fine if you're not trying to push it past 60 FPS. You wont have to sacrifice image quality. You would also keep your current monitor. Wouldn't be much of a need to upgrade your graphics card. I recommend this.

Scenario 3: 

You buy 2 monitors. One would be better than the other. Neither would be really good. I do NOT recommend this option AT ALL.

Just go with scenario 2. That's your best bet.

System specs:  CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 705e unlocked to x4 overclocked to 2.8GHz   |   MB: ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS   |   Cooler: Hyper 212+   |   GPU: MSI GTX 560ti OC to 910Mhz   |   RAM: 8GB PNY DDR3 1333   |   HDDS: WD Caviar Blue 320GB, Hitachi 500GB HDD   |   PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W   |   Peripherals: Microsoft wireless mouse, old mac keyboard, ASUS VS238H, Gateway FPD2275W, some speakers, Logitech Driving Force Pro

Okay, I'd recommend that you spend all your money on a good monitor that'll give you a really nice picture unless you plan on upgrading your graphics card or play on lower settings. Let me make a few hypotheticals.

Scenario 1:

Buy a 120HZ TN monitor. In order to fully utilize it with your 660 at 1080p, you'll be compromising graphical settings in order to get above 60 FPS. You would also keep your current monitor and use it as your second monitor. For best experience you would have to upgrade your graphics card. I wouldn't recommend this option. 

Scenario 2: 

Buy a good 60Hz monitor with good image quality. Your 660 will be fine if you're not trying to push it past 60 FPS. You wont have to sacrifice image quality. You would also keep your current monitor. Wouldn't be much of a need to upgrade your graphics card. I recommend this.

Scenario 3: 

You buy 2 monitors. One would be better than the other. Neither would be really good. I do NOT recommend this option AT ALL.

Just go with scenario 2. That's your best bet.

Ok sounds good I would rather not upgrade video card for a while! I would be willing to spend up to $300 any recommendations? Scenario 2 of course!

Ok sounds good I would rather not upgrade video card for a while! I would be willing to spend up to $300 any recommendations? Scenario 2 of course!

That's as far as I can help you. I don't have any idea what good monitors are out there. If you don't get a response in this thread, just search on the forum for $300 recommendations and see what comes up.