Boot failure on Win8 Asus Laptop

Silverhand7

So, being the somewhat more technology proficient one in my family, my mom came to me about a problem with her laptop. I'm sure it's happened to most of us. Anyways, I turn it on and directly after the manufacturer splash screen it goes to an error saying it had a boot failure due to something with a PXE ROM, and to check the cable (no idea how that's related). A quick google search, admittedly not very in depth, seemed to point to the PXE ROM error as the laptop trying to boot from a network device, which it shouldn't be. I went into the BIOS and disabled said PXE ROM thing, as per the advice of the 2-3 pages I looked at about it. Now the laptop not only will not boot, but will not even get to the Asus splash screen when I hit the power button. My first guess is that the hard drive failed and it doesn't have anything to boot to, but I'm not sure, and I'm not sure if I made the problem worse by disabling the thing in BIOS. Anyways, the laptop is an Asus S56C running Windows 8 64-bit, although I'm not sure if that matters as it won't even get into windows. Reported as having no problems upon last use, and now just not booting.