7 Gamers, 1 CPU - Ultimate Virtualized Gaming Build Log

LinusTech

I thought consumer grade hardware was implied since this topic is about that very subject, so far as the graphics cards were concerned...  ;)

May very well be on consumer grade cards but it would be stupid for them to block professional GPUs for it.

how do you connect those to the internet?

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

One quick question: How did you guys handle the watercooling? Which OS is handling the pump and all the fans? Or did you just crank it up to 11 and left it there?

In any case, this is just a sick project and yes... i need to find a clean pair of pants

@LinusTech @Slick @nicklmg

I really like this system, and I want to know what stopped you from doing a dual PSU build allowing for fury X or other cards? There's obviously case labs cases out there that have slots for 2, and I wanted to know why you decided against that? 

Edit

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519562-7-gamers-1-cpu-any-reason-you-think-linus-used-1-psu/

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Bad economies of scale. 30k/7 is approx. 4k, the specs for those VMS are not worth 4k if they are baremetal. Better to buy 7 computers rather than 1 whatever this is.

You are stating the obvious that everyone already knows. But he was the first to do something that huge, I would be proud if it was me.

Oh ok, well there you have it if you wanna make it not the 30k but the 50k pc you could....also I'd order an extra caselabs compartment for more radiators :)

yeah, why not? :P

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

You are stating the obvious that everyone already knows. But he was the first to do something that huge, I would be proud if it was me.

As I said before, it's a wonderful consumer show piece, but not very practical. I highly doubt he's the "first" to do something like this (there are probably ridiculous things running off E7 xeons and intel Phis in massive clustering setups, he used an E5). Given the budget, a "more" practical approach I think would be to setup a Cray-CX1 like machine (with multiple nodes), liquid cool the whole setup, and you can probably even run that off infiniband for the price.

Awesome. How would you split the CPU thou, one of the machines would have a triple core to so the VM has one.

Could someone explain this to me? So is the Nano capable of playing Crysis 3 on 3440x1440 at 60-100 fps? are they really that powerful? (I've never looked into the nano) 

As I said before, it's a wonderful consumer show piece, but not very practical. I highly doubt he's the "first" to do something like this (there are probably ridiculous things running off E7 xeons and intel Phis in massive clustering setups, he used an E5). Given the budget, a "more" practical approach I think would be to setup a Cray-CX1 like machine (with multiple nodes), liquid cool the whole setup, and you can probably even run that off infiniband for the price.

He is the first.  Doubt all you want, but unless you can find a video showing the same thing, you'd be wrong ;-)

This wasn't done for the sake of being practical.  Linus always has had a good blend of practical and not-so-practical content.

Why unraid, ESXi can do some internal networking cool stuff, 1machine instant lan party

unRAID is far easier to use than ESXi when it comes to configuring this use-case.  No need to do any crazy networking stuff for a 1 machine LAN party either.  He could do the instant LAN party with the VMs he setup in the video.  Just didn't have time to film that before the system had to ship to CES for Kingston.

VMWare is a great IT professional tool, but not simple enough to use for the majority of folks out there (especially for this use-case).

I hope there will be a giveaway of this soon! :P (jk)

So thanks for reading guys, if this post sucked, I'm not sure what you can do, but if you liked it, go 'head and hit that like button, or maybe add me as a friend. Otherwise, go subscribe to LinusTechTips on YouTube, follow them on Twitch, follow @LinusTech on Twitter, and support them by using their affiliate code on Amazon, buying a cool T-shirt, or supporting them directly on this community forum.

I hope there will be a giveaway of this soon! :P

Keep dreamin' nickl :P

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

K|NGP|N 980 Ti ftw with SuperFlower 2000w. or Dual PSUs! :)

Wouldn't work, how many times do I have to say it? The cards are too large and Linus wouldn't be able to unlock the PCI-E clip to remove them.

I hope there will be a giveaway of this soon! :P

I don't think Linus will give away a $30,000 PC.

Wouldn't work, how many times do I have to say it? The cards are too large and Linus wouldn't be able to unlock the PCI-E clip to remove them.

Not a big deal. Break that clip.

It would still hold the GPU..

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Ever dreamed of what you could do with a $30,000 computer? Turns out the answer is "a lot"

Vessel link: tbd

YouTube: 

Parts List

Kingston 32GB DDR4 ECC RAM (x8)

Amazon: http://geni.us/3N2B

Kingston KC400 1TB Business SSD (x8)

Amazon: http://geni.us/3c6w

Lime Technology unRAID Server Pro Software

Manufacturer Link: http://lime-technology.com/

Caselabs Mercury S8

Amazon: n/a

Manufacturer Direct: http://bit.ly/1P8UvW3

Acer Predator X34 21:9 Gaming Monitor (x7)

Amazon: http://geni.us/32xr

Intel Xeon E5 2697 V3 (x2)

Amazon: http://geni.us/1nya

ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS

Amazon: http://geni.us/wov

AMD R9 Nano (x7)

Amazon: http://geni.us/Ubr

EVGA T2 1600W

Amazon: http://geni.us/3ad1

Cablemod Custom Cables for PSU

Manufacturer Link: http://bit.ly/1NYnrCz

Water Cooling Parts

CPU blocks - EK Supremacy Evo

Radiators - EK Coolstream XE 360

GPU Blocks - EK R9 Nano

GPU Connector - Custom 7-way version of FC Terminal

Pump/Reservoir - EK Xres 140

Fittings - EK Advanced Compression Fittings

Tubing - Primochill Primoflex Black/Orange

The title is wrong...It is 7 gamers 1 CPU instead of 7 gamers 1 PC :).  Nice video though and awesome to see what the tech is capable of these days

Specs: 

Spoiler

PC:CASE: FD Define r6 | CPU:Intel Core i7-8700k | MB: MSI z370 PC Pro RAM: 32GB Corsair vengance LPX 3000 GPU: Asus rx 6900xt Tuf STORAGE: nand 500GB Samsung 970Evo plus ; Game Storage: 2TB Samsung 860QVO Storage: 2 x WD Green 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | CPUCooler: Noctua NH-D15   DISPLAY: LG 27GL850

Not a big deal. Break that clip.

It would still hold the GPU..

Yes but then 7 980 Ti cards would still consume well over 2000W.

Too bad you didn't use an AX1500i to power it all.  You could find out what your power consumption is on the DC side.

Yes but then 7 980 Ti cards would still consume well over 2000W.

As people and I already mentioned in this thread before, DUAL PSU might come handy in this situation.

Too bad you didn't use an AX1500i to power it all.  You could find out what your power consumption is on the DC side.

The whole system consumed over 1500w, So ... 

Just awesome build. This is why people follow your channel.

As people and I already mentioned in this thread before, DUAL PSU might come handy in this situation.

That would be awful, you'd have to jump one PSU everytime you wanted to power on the system and the CaseLabs S8 doesn't even support dual PSUs.

And IMO I think the Nanos were a perfect choice, they fit the bill so well and they are hella fast cards especially when you liquid cool them.

He is the first.  Doubt all you want, but unless you can find a video showing the same thing, you'd be wrong ;-)

This wasn't done for the sake of being practical.  Linus always has had a good blend of practical and not-so-practical content.

I agree that the video is entertaining and the video isn't done for the sake of being practical, and there's nothing wrong with that, especially since it's for a show piece.

Regarding the first comment. I don't really think I can/want to find a video, because I don't think one exists. And I don't even think there's a setup with the exact same thing anywhere in the world (with the same SSDs/CPU/RAM/software/etc..). But the concept is not new, and I think there are builds out there which are more "crazy". I would consider the Amazon CG1, G2 instances which are running off the same tech shown in the video (probably with Amazon's custom hyperviser), or Nvidia's GRID supercomputer. However, I don't know how many instances per node there are, because it would take a while to dig up, even if it's not a trade secret of Amazon's/Nvidia's. I don't think there are any GPU clusters that do this because it is simply not worth it. (and I don't think he said in the video it's "first" either, IIRC)

Theoretically though, a "consumer" motherboard with quad CPU with 11 PCI-E (8x or higher) slots are available (http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4U/4048/SYS-4048B-TR4FT.cfm)

EDIT: I made a mistake, it is 11 PCIE slots not 19.

Edited by StackUnderflow