7 Gamers, 1 CPU - Ultimate Virtualized Gaming Build Log

LinusTech

Bravo sir, bravo! What an epic build. I hope you do some more videos featuring this behemoth, 7 way multiplayer to crown the gaming king of the LTT office maybe?

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

Why Linus did not use Nvidia graphic card?

he ended up with the Fury Nano because he needed a single  slot card (with the video ports on a single slot too)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The power consumption can be lower if he uses Nvidia graphic card.

i expected an LMG lanparty with this machine, all the employees play games together :(

Same, I was thinking like "Hmm, they are 100% going to play some coop game you can play with controller"

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Is it possible to run Firestrike on 7 way crossfire? The score would break records I bet.

i think you can run 8 way crossfire under linux but i am not sure if firestrike works on linux.

windows has max 4 way

We've now got three different subjects going on, an Asian fox and motorbike fetish, two guys talking about Norway invasions and then some other people talking about body building... This thread is turning into a free for all fetish infested Norwegian circle jerk.

In my opinion the title should be.

7 Gamers, 2 CPU.

Because of the dual sockets linus .... :rolleyes:

Awesome build tough, awesome.. :D

CPU: i7 3930K 3.2Ghz on Noctua NH-U14S| RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance @1600Mhz + 32GB Kingston Beast @ 1866Mhz | MBO: Asus P9X79 | GPU: ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 256GB + Crucial M500 480GB  |  HDD: 2*3TB Seagate | PSU: Cooler Master 850m2 850W | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos Pure Black

Dell P2715Q, 4K @t 60Hz :)

Why unraid, ESXi can do some internal networking cool stuff, 1machine instant lan party

I don´t know for sure, but i don´t think that ESXi can handle PCI(-e) devices in the way that unraid can. So it would be problematic with those graphics cards...

That is one of the most incredible things I have seen in computing yet, sure I've heard of nVidia's GRID, but to see something like this, that if I was rich enough (and mental enough) to buy is awesome, I just need $30,000 and 7 PC gaming friends and I could have a right giggle :D

That third screen though along the top row of monitors, wonder what happened to it? Cause in some shots it looked awful, and then in others it looked just fine, very weird.

I may have to show this to the lads in my CompTIA hardware class, they'd love it.

Also, happy new year to everyone, it's a few days late but oh well, and I hope you all had a great Christmas as well.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

What are the keyboards that you used? They look nice.

Also, AWESOME build, except that building 7 separate rigs would've been cheaper :D

In my opinion the title should be.

7 Gamers, 2 CPU.

Because of the dual sockets linus .... :rolleyes:

Awesome build tough, awesome.. :D

Or "7 Gamers, 1 Tower", just like their "2 Gamers, 1 Tower".

i think you can run 8 way crossfire under linux but i am not sure if firestrike works on linux.

windows has max 4 way

Is that an driver limit or an hardware limit?

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

1 question.

What is that keyboard called when Linus is playing Crysis 3 near the end?

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

I don´t know for sure, but i don´t think that ESXi can handle PCI(-e) devices in the way that unraid can. So it would be problematic with those graphics cards...

You can passthrough PCI-e devices in ESXi but GPUs I believe are limited to Quadro and FirePro

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

Say what now?  I have two graphics cards (though they are different models) in mine, passed through to VM's, without issue.  Another VM has two PCIe cards (not graphics) *plus* the onboard ICH8R 6 port SATA controller passed through to it...

From what I've read, the issue is nVidia actively blocking their driver from starting if it detects it's in a virtual machine, not an issue with ESXi itself...

You can passthrough PCI-e devices in ESXi but GPUs I believe are limited to Quadro and FirePro

even if they had sponsors, he said they bought the fury nanos... wow 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

I'm curious - have you guys done any latency tests? Since there is now an extra software layer, I assume some sort of latency is added. Either way, that is one amazing build. Congrats!

I'm going to build this.  It's going to take sometime, because I'm not going to go rush out and buy every part at once, but I am going to build this.  I may not have as many graphics cards or hd's, but Linus you have pre-determined my motherboard, cpu, and ram combo.

K|INGP|N editions are singles slot ready.

Oh ok, well there you have it if you wanna make it not the 30k but the 50k pc you could....also I'd order an extra caselabs compartment for more radiators :)

-------

Current Rig

-------