2 gamers 1 CPU

jcw150

Is that possible to do using freeNAS cause I don't want to buy unRAID cause it be expensive.

Thanks

i dont think you can do it with freenas

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

not really, you shoud use virtualization software for it to work.

There is GPU passtrough with VMWare, you could also assign peripherals this way.

You can use a free trial of unRAID for like 30 days. That's how Linus did it the first time around.

2017 Gaming PC

Excellent value machine, keeps me going.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

Beautiful laptop, in a stunning form factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32GB

unRAID is just KVM with a skin. You can use KVM (Free)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

not really, you shoud use virtualization software for it to work.

There is GPU passtrough with VMWare, you could also assign peripherals this way.

I had done this in my linux installation and performance in games in virtual windows was 95-96% of what it was in windows installed directly on a PC.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

• 4 months later...
On 1/2/2016 at 4:27 PM, jcw150 said:

Is that possible to do using freeNAS cause I don't want to buy unRAID cause it be expensive.

Thanks

You can use debian/ubuntu/centos and use virtmanager to run vms instead of unraid.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2016 at 1:27 AM, jcw150 said:

Thanks

No, freenas is completely and fundamentally different from unraid. Different kernels, different purposes. You can however use any linux distribution, as long as you know how to set it all up manually, and if you couldn't tell the difference between unraid and freenas I'm sorry but you probably don't.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

• 3 months later...

XenServer (http://xenserver.org/) is a free, open-source Hypervisor (that is bumped along VERY heavily by Citrix) that supports GPU passthrough (for certain GPUs - double check supported hardware list)

so, depending on your hardware, this is likely your best shot.

ps: I still have no idea why people here suggest unRAID when enterprise-class Hypervisors like VMware's ESXi and XenCenter are free.....

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all