HD 558 vs ATH-AD700X

Colomon84
Go to solution Solved by Hydrith,

Between the two of them, I would recommend the HD558, mostly because I own a set of them and love them (along w/ the PC360 G4ME which is just a HD558 with a Mic built into it).  Nothing against Audio Technica (I have a set of ATH-M40X, which are nice under certain cirumstances), but build quality is a night and day difference between AT and Sennheiser (IMHO).

I'm currently using the Razer Kraken 7.1 Headset.

I'm considering upgrading my audio quality and looking into these two headphones to attach a ModMic 4.0 and use them for gaming.

Which do you prefer and why?

Also, should I invest in a DAC or can I use my onboard audio through the mobo? Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0

Thanks

ad700x is best headphone for surround, for competitive play 

has to do with very open design, angled drivers and the fact that it has certain frequency response so you hear footsteps better etc.

If you're gonna use the headphone for more than just gaming, HD558 is probably the better choice

If you're gonna use the headphone for more than just gaming, HD558 is probably the better choice

out of the two i guess

best choice under 200$ for closed is Philips shp9500 probably ( source Z Reviews ), bass from same series drivers as HD558, even if you do foam mod, is not comparable to some other cans, nor are as open as either

out of the two i guess

best choice under 200$ for closed is Philips shp9500 probably ( source Z Reviews ), bass from same series drivers as HD558, even if you do foam mod, is not comparable to some other cans, nor are as open as either

Maybe under $100, but no way would I get the shp9500 over the dt770 if I wanted closed headphones seeing how the sph9500 isn't even a closed headphone!

dac is not necessairy, but for audio reviews go look for headfi, REAL solid reviews over there

Are you joking?

No, I am not, HeadFi has some really good reviews on it`s site on a lot of audio gear, which the LTT-forum sadly does not have.

Although there are some solid reviews out there on LTT, HeadFi covers a lot more and most of the stuff better

Are you joking?

to game or not to game, that`s the question

Maybe under $100, but no way would I get the shp9500 over the dt770 if I wanted closed headphones seeing how the sph9500 isn't even a closed headphone!

yes, went full retard there

but 9500 are incredibly good.

No, I am not, HeadFi has some really good reviews on it`s site on a lot of audio gear, which the LTT-forum sadly does not have.

Although there are some solid reviews out there on LTT, HeadFi covers a lot more and most of the stuff better

if you were to read stuff on head-fi, you'll need to know what their fancy words mean, and try to not be affected by all the snake oil. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

if you were to read stuff on head-fi, you'll need to know what their fancy words mean, and try to not be affected by all the snake oil

You mean having more than half of your brain cells work?

if you were to read stuff on head-fi, you'll need to know what their fancy words mean, and try to not be affected by all the snake oil.

Yeah, need to be able to sort out the fact from the fiction.

Sadly there is a lot of fiction there.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Yeah, need to be able to sort out the fact from the fiction.

Sadly there is a lot of fiction there.

And hype.

The biggest problem with head-fi is the hype-mentality, the "everything is great" attitude.

Between the two of them, I would recommend the HD558, mostly because I own a set of them and love them (along w/ the PC360 G4ME which is just a HD558 with a Mic built into it).  Nothing against Audio Technica (I have a set of ATH-M40X, which are nice under certain cirumstances), but build quality is a night and day difference between AT and Sennheiser (IMHO).

hahahah that`s true, half the time I see some fancy words and take it for granted that it`ll be good. But that aside they do have really (long, my god way too long) and good reviews.

to game or not to game, that`s the question

dac is not necessairy, but for audio reviews go look for headfi, REAL solid reviews over there

I'd rather go to Innerfidelity over Head-fi.