11yr old working mechanical keyboard, improvements/suggesstions

ankit_k

I have a TVS Gold Mechanical that I had bought with my first ever computer in 2004. The quality of the keyboard is so good that its been working for over a decade now. That computer has undergone many upgrade cycles, many membrane keyboards have come and gone, but this keyboard still remains unbeaten.

The only problem is that since with was a light coloured keyboard, it has caught a lot of stains over the years. Hence I want to take some efforts to make this keyboard look better again. 

I have never-ever done any such project before, and want tips/suggestions/guides from the LTT community.

- Can I paint this keyboard using something like a spray paint without damaging the keys and key switches?

- Replacing keycaps... Here in India, I do not see keycaps being available easily. There are a few Rosewll keycaps sold on amazon, but are priced far higher than what this keyboard costs now (Yes, these keyboards are still being sold). Can I clean these up to look as new, or is buying new keycaps the only option, any cheaper deals I could get?

I hope to make this project fun for myself but, I am not sure to what extent can this be stretched.

Thanks.

post-124168-0-51348600-1451730594_thumb.

post-124168-0-32868000-1451730611_thumb.

post-124168-0-72740500-1451730628_thumb.

I wouldn't paint it since the Color is most likely to come off due to typing

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Maybe buy a broken mechanical keyboard somewhere and steal the keycaps from that?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I would clean up the keyboard and get new keycaps :D

Magical Pineapples

Maybe buy a broken mechanical keyboard somewhere and steal the keycaps from that?

Thats a good idea. Thanks. Would be a little tough to find one, but surely worth trying

That thing is antique, i would leave it at that, maybe even frame it xD.

lol

I would clean up the keyboard and get new keycaps :D

With what cleaning solution could I get those stains off in the most effective way?

With what cleaning solution could I get those stains off in the most effective way?

Try 99% alcohol isopropyl? and just replace keycaps. 

Magical Pineapples

- Can I paint this keyboard using something like a spray paint without damaging the keys and key switches?

- Replacing keycaps... Here in India, I do not see keycaps being available easily. There are a few Rosewll keycaps sold on amazon, but are priced far higher than what this keyboard costs now (Yes, these keyboards are still being sold). Can I clean these up to look as new, or is buying new keycaps the only option, any cheaper deals I could get?

You should be able to paint it, but you should clean the keyboard before that, otherwise you're just painting the dirt. As long as you mask the keys properly so that you don't accidentally paint on them, it should be fine. Don't know what kind of paint you would use for it, though. Linus has plenty of videos where he has done custom paint jobs on various things, I would probably start there.

As for the keycaps, you can remove them and give them a thorough cleaning. I would probably go with a solution of water and dish soap and clean each key individually. After cleaning, you need to let the keys dry properly.

I own and use, sorted from newest to oldest: SteelSeries 6Gv2. Microsoft SideWinder X4. Mionix Naos 7000. Zowie EC1 Evo. Microsoft SideWinder X8. Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. Dell U2414H. Samsung P2270H. AKG K273 Pro. Sennheiser HD555. Razer Goliathus Speed Medium. Func 1030 L. Qpad CT Medium.

I used to own: Razer DeathAdder 3G. Razer Krait. IntelliMouse Optical 1.1. SteelSeries QcK.

• 2 weeks later...

This what I have done to it as of now

- Opened up the keyboard as far as I could to get the dust out

- Spray painted the frame black

- Cleaned the keycaps with hydrogen-peroxide solution + sunlight, but could not get most the yellow off

Also the masking tape din't help much on the logo

Happy with this though!

post-124168-0-23700400-1453016894_thumb.