SSHD vs Mechanical for storage solutions

SRT10

I'd be curious to know if SSHD's (Seagate has 4TB versions now) are worthy replacements for the mechanical's given that 4TB size available now and although more expensive vs their mechanical counterpart, not out of the realm of reasonable.  Based on streaming requirements as device accessed for local streaming that is, while having fast write capabilities to write to when transferring files (which to me is important as I just want to download, transfer and play) is it really worth the minor cost premium.

figured as much, outside of my own quick look around the net, I was just hoping there was more of a silver lining :P  I just happen to have a few 1TB SSHD's which really are just too small for the main media server/gaming rig even if I did have room but larger ones if advantageous I'd consider. Ebay they go I guess :)

Hi,

I have the 4TB Seagate drive you mention. Not as the OS drive, which is an ssd. I also have some WD black 4TB drives. I can tell a slight difference between the drives, but not much. In my Ubuntu Linux system, I typically get sustained speeds of 135GB per second, and after some time, it can slow.

I bought the 4TB Seagate with the ssd 'cache' on it just for fun, and to see if I could tell any difference. In my case, as I noted, a small difference. Almost identical. The difference has to do with how soon the write begins. Part of the complication is it looks like 'sometimes' the file is first copied to the SSD, then to the destination drive. Annoying.