Noise cancelling microphone for gaming with speakers (Teufel Concept D)

TheSniperFox

Hi Guys,

I am watching the Linus Tech Tips channel for about several years now. 

My Sennheiser PC 333D got broken, but I do not want to use headphones/headsets anymore. So which microphone would you recommend, while I am gaming over my Teufel speakers? Does the Blue Yeti Pro cancel all the background noise from the speakers or should I go wiht the Rode NTG2? 

What  do you suggest?

Thanks for your answers.

BR Toni

Welcome to the forums!

The blue yeti pro is a pretty nice mic I would also recommend the Razer seiren pro.

the blue yeti pro should get the job done nicely.

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

Thank you for your fast response. I also read, that the Blue Yeti Pro is a high sense microphone that records all nearby sounds. The same goes for the Razer Seiren Pro as I read. Which experience do you have with those microphones?

I'd suggest getting a dynamic microphone as it tends to pickup the nearest sound source and it's used in noisy environments. This will do but you if you can stretch your budget (at around $200, more or less) an audio interface, microphone desk stand/boom arm, and an XLR dynamic microphone will be a better investment.

I am using my Teufel Concept D over a Asus Xonar U7. I could use the XLR microphone via adapter to 3,5mm or USB (or seperat batteries like the Rode NGT2). The budget is no problem, but which microphone would you recommend? 

I personally use the Samson Q7...however if budget isn't a problem you could get a Shure SM58. Also I dont recommend using an adapter since it wont give an option to increase the gain. I suggest getting the Scarlett solo and the Samson Q7/Shure SM58 (sorry for the sloppy reply, Im using a mobile device)

Thanks for this great advice. So I have 2 possibilties now. Selling my Asus Xonar U7 (which I really like) and going with the Scarlett Solo instead or searching for another microphone without XLR (but with USB). And the most important point, how are the noise cancelling charateristics? Your reply was not sloppy at all. I should apologize, because I am not a native english speaker.

What do you mean by noise canceling characteristics?...also you don't have to sell your soundcard...if you want you could get this instead, it has a usb connection and it's dynamic (also sounds decent, btw).

To use a microphone while I am gaming or listening to music over speakers, but without creating echos or recording background noises like keyboard etc. I mean a microphone that is just recording my voice an no other sounds around. Are you solutions gonna fit this idea? Or am I just dreaming... xD

Thanks.

None of the suggestions so far have been any good at all.

A shotgun mic would be your solution. Cheapest good one I know of is the RØDE VideoMic GO. It can plug right into your PC with a normal 3.5 mm jack. Mount it on top of your screen with a desktop 3/8" stand of sorts, hook it up, adjust your levels, and you should be good to go. 

EDIT: Crap, the RØDE VideoMic wasn't using the shotgun pattern after all, it was just in the name lol. I found this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iShotgunKit 

and of course a good old RØDE NTG-1: 

Saw a guy running a setup like that here once, can't find the thread though. He went a more expensive route, with a RØDE NTG-1 or 2, a small mixer, fancy soundcard and fancy stand, but this can be done for probably < 150 USD. 

EDIT: Just so you can understand easier: Shotgun mics have a certain pickup pattern, which means where they pick up sound. 

polar-patterns.jpg

You can see shotgun there. You can also see Cardioid, which is the pickup pattern of most condenser mics. (Blue Yeti, snowball, Razer Seiren, the list goes on)

Edited by Lauen

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

To use a microphone while I am gaming or listening to music over speakers, but without creating echos or recording background noises like keyboard etc. I mean a microphone that is just recording my voice an no other sounds around. Are you solutions gonna fit this idea? Or am I just dreaming... xD

Thanks.

A dynamic microphone would be great for that.

Thanks Lauen and Jettt for your help. 

Lauen you explained really well how the different types of microphones are working. So Shotgun Mic seems to be the best solution. What would be the best position on my desk? I have linear 70-80 cm to the middle of my monitor and speakers, which are left and right of it. They are placed at a distance of 100 cm to each other, 50 cm from the middle of monitor. I hope, I explained well. Where would you place the mic?

Thanks Lauen and Jettt for your help. 

Lauen you explained really well how the different types of microphones are working. So Shotgun Mic seems to be the best solution. What would be the best position on my desk? I have linear 70-80 cm to the middle of my monitor and speakers, which are left and right of it. They are placed at a distance of 100 cm to each other, 50 cm from the middle of monitor. I hope, I explained well. Where would you place the mic?

I'd place the mic right on top of the monitor you're facing, as stated earlier, pointed directly at your mouth. You could experiment with how close it needs to be. 

Also Jettt does have a good point, a dynamic mic (Shure SM58 is absolutely fantastic and doesn't cost a lot, they're used a LOT for live vocals) would be good as they do need to be fairly close to ones mouth to pick up anything. I've seen people record vocals with a Shure SM7b (sorta expensive) while listening to the music they're recording the vocals for over speakers in the same room. Sure, the mic may pick up some of it but as Jettt said, dynamics have a short pickup pattern. 

A dynamic microphone would be great for that.

Yes it will, and it would. Question would be how loud the speakers have to be at OP's preferred volume that it could be significant enough that it'd just blend in along with the recording and noise removal would be a massive pain.

Normally I do not have a high volume on my speakers while recordings. So I should try both I guess. Dynamic microphone (Shure SM58, Rode NT1-A or Samson Q7) or a shotgun microphone (e.g. Rode NTG-1) Lauren recommended. With which one should I go first?

Normally I do not have a high volume on my speakers while recordings. So I should try both I guess. Dynamic microphone (Shure SM58, Rode NT1-A or Samson Q7) or a shotgun microphone (e.g. Rode NTG-1) Lauren recommended. With which one should I go first?

I think the SM58 will be the cheapest option, apart from the Samson, try that first. also, please use the quote function when replying to people. It makes it easier for us to know if you've replied or not. 

I was doing some other research and found the Samson USB microphones Meteor Mic, C01U Pro and Go Mic Connect with there Samson Sound Deck Software. This has a noise and echo cancelling function included for using it togehter with speakers. Do you know if it works properly?

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/microphones/usb-microphones/

I was doing some other research and found the Samson USB microphones Meteor Mic, C01U Pro and Go Mic Connect with there Samson Sound Deck Software. This has a noise and echo cancelling function included for using it togehter with speakers. Do you know if it works properly?

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/microphones/usb-microphones/

I have the Samson Meteor and it works well however it picks up a lot of background noise. If you're interested in a USB one you could just get an ATR2100.

That would fit perfectly, but unfortunately the ARR2100 and AT2005 are not available in Germany. Ok they are, but just over an import shop totally overpriced for nearly 200€. So I found the Samson Q1U. This should be similar or what would you say?

I have the Samson Meteor and it works well however it picks up a lot of background noise. If you're interested in a USB one you could just get an ATR2100.

Hey Jettt,

thank you for your help and tip to get a dynamic microphone. I am using the Samson Q1U right now, because the Audio Technica wasn't available in Germany. It does work pretty well, even with a distance of 30 cm from my mouth, it is recording in games, also music etc. just my voice. Awesome. Now I am looking forward to get a better microphone stand and a pop filter.