Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ONOTech

YouTube Red After One Month - It's not that bad

Posted · Original PosterOP

YouTube Red Review

YouTube Red was unveiled about 2 months ago and automatically earned negative feedback because it was a subscription based service. I was interested in Red, so I tested it out using their month free trial. After using it for just 3 days shy of a month, here are my thoughts

Video Review

Text Review

Features & Price

Red has three basic features: ad free videos, offline music & video streaming, and YouTube's pre-made personalized playlists and mixtapes for your convenience.

It costs $9.99/month for non iOS devices, and $12.99/month if purchased on any iOS device. Considering that Spotify is $9.99/month as well, and Tidal has a $9.99 and $19.99/month option, I think the pricing is very fair.

Design

YT Red is split into a desktop version and a mobile version, with the mobile version being split into 3 separate apps: YouTube, YouTube Gaming, and YouTube music.

Desktop

One word to describe the desktop side of YouTube Red is lacking. The only feature you have is ad free videos. There is no offline streaming and you can't download videos to your desktop. Because of this, I will say do not use Red if you do not use your phone or any other mobile device often. It is not worth it.

Mobile

This is where Red shines, but it does have some flaws I wish to point out. There are three different YouTube applications. THREE. That's just arbitrary. A more efficient way to implement the service would be to have one application, and inside that one YouTube application, there could be a gaming section and a YT music section for Red subscribers.

YouTube

After subscribing, I get the Red label next to the YouTube logo. I can now save offline videos, shuffle through them, and play videos in the background. Everything flows very nicely, especially the background play. I did not have any stuttering or lag when switching between other applications on my fine. The offline streaming is also very nice, but that is expected.

post-53289-0-57925200-1451600885_thumb.j

YouTube Gaming

There isn't much of a difference between this and the YouTube application, except for the fact that you can ONLY watch gaming and gaming-oriented videos on here. Now How To's, no comedy, no Tutorials. Just gaming. Other than that, the features between this app and YouTube are identical. The interface is slightly different, though.

post-53289-0-27830100-1451600887_thumb.j

YouTube Music

This remains the meat of YouTube Red. I really like the design of the interface and the darker colors, it makes the red standout. You are greeted with three different sections: (1) home, which has automated playlists, radio stations, and suggestions, (2) fire, which displays music trends, and the (3) thumbs up tab which shows your liked songs.

post-53289-0-99309400-1451600888_thumb.j

On the top right, there is a little slider to switch from video mode to music mode and is only available on this app. I'm assuming this helps with data usage and gives the user a little more freedom to choose how they listen to their songs. The issue with the video mode is that it is cropped when in fullscreen. I imagine it will be fixed soon, but for now, it's bad.

post-53289-0-79746400-1451600883_thumb.j

You have a premade offline mixtape which is good when you need to rush to the gym or finish errands. The choices here are made based on your past listens, so more often than not, you will enjoy the songs. Radio station is also available. It's pretty much an online mixtape with infinite loops. It does not connect to an actual radio (shame).

post-53289-0-39976600-1451600890_thumb.j

Finding songs was not difficult. Since YouTube is huge, you are bound to find the song you want. My gripe was that many unofficial songs (covers, parodies, random remixes) were added to my playlists. While some may enjoy that, I will safely assume most don't. Hopefully there's an option to only include official songs and not fan videos.

post-53289-0-14586700-1451600953_thumb.j

Other than that - there are a few bugs and annoying nuances. Occasionally, the thumbnail won't update when listening to music in the background. YT music has no X button to rid the background player. You must pause and swipe, unlike with YouTube and with YouTube gaming.

post-53289-0-49572500-1451600893_thumb.j

Is it worth it?

If you don't use mobile devices much, no. If you do, then I would consider it. You support your favorite channels through the subscription while getting ad-free streaming, offline music AND video play, and pre-made playlists. I definitely recommend

Hope you enjoyed the review :)

A Few Things I Missed

Hey @ONOTech, some things you might want to add to your review is that:

• YouTube Red Includes Google Play music(and vise versa)
  • Offline playback is still limited to your devices screen resolution, so if you have a 720p phone you cant download 1080p video(or in the case of the Moto E, its limited to 360p)
  • Offline videos have expiration dates(I believe its 30 days for most videos and 48hrs for some, not 100% sure

Why is 6 Tips to look better naked recommended to you?

Probably from one of those late nights cruising YouTube and watching random videos...

Honestly, I don't know lol.

don't forget you get all acces music with this. and if you get the famly plan it is a even better deal

don't forget you get all acces music with this. and if you get the famly plan it is a even better deal

Yep. I honestly think it may be better than Spotify. I may switch over

or free music 4ever from soundcloud

(join teh cloud race)

That too, but a lot of the songs I enjoy aren't on Soundcloud :(

or free music 4ever from soundcloud

(join teh cloud race)

soundcloud bit rate to low, i use "better method" ;)

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

I was never a fan of music streaming. I buy my music, put it on my phone, so I can listen to it whenever I want without paying monthly.

Great review btw. :)

Thank you for watching/reading! :D

oh,

If ur a EDM nerd all songs are on soundcloud (ew mainstream miley cyrusness D:)

Some of her stuff isn't bad (especially the ones Pharell produced). I have a wide range of songs, and I will probably try most things once.

Some of her stuff isn't bad (especially the ones Pharell produced). I have a wide range of songs, and I will probably try most things once.

oh god,

i just hate mainstream pop music lel

its just changed so much, i also dont like rap classical ect,

i guess im just a EDM Whore lol

oh god,

i just hate mainstream pop music lel

its just changed so much, i also dont like rap classical ect,

i guess im just a EDM Whore lol

Hey, better than being a regular whore right? ;)

Great review as always @ONOTech

It is a pretty weird quirk that you don't have the option to exclude covers and remixes from your playlist. .

It would seem like an easy fix to just add an ´Only include official channels´ - option in the app. 

But does those covers and remixes include every remix and cover typer on YouTube? or is it only professional covers and remixes?

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

soundcloud bit rate to low, i use "better method" ;)

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

I my hearing bad or something?? Cause with soundcloud on my phone/pc, it sounds the same as it is on youtube (at 720p if avaliable) and mp3 files that the artists upload.

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

I my hearing bad or something?? Cause with soundcloud on my phone/pc, it sounds the same as it is on youtube (at 720p if avaliable) and mp3 files that the artists upload.

soundcloud and youtube will sound the same, but actual 320kbps you will noitce, with GOOD heaphones, and on a soundsystem.  (i use m50x), and (a beafy sound system, where the lower bit rates def are noticed on them beat drops)

Great review as always @ONOTech

It is a pretty weird quirk that you don't have the option to exclude covers and remixes from your playlist. .

It would seem like an easy fix to just add an ´Only include official channels´ - option in the app. 

But does those covers and remixes include every remix and cover typer on YouTube? or is it only professional covers and remixes?

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Yeah, it is weird. Not sure why they have that.

And nope, it can be as unprofessional as possible.

YouTube Red Review

<snippy snip snip>

Good review. Well done.

Found this funny though;

It costs $9.99/month for non iOS devices, and $12.99/month for any iOS device. Considering that Spotify is $9.99/month as well, and Tidal has a $9.99 and $19.99/month option, I think the pricing is very fair.

Sounds pretty biased for Google to charge more for iOS users and a bit unfair, I can see a lawsuit forming over this.

Tech News Posting Guidelines - READ BEFORE POSTING | Community Standards | Forum Staff

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ | F@H Contribution | My Rig | Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.

~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My Phones are a Nokia Lumia 925 with WM10 and a Microsoft Lumia 950 XL with WM10 running the Fast Ring insider updates. Broke :(

Samsung Note 9 and a Samsung S9+

About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Good review. Well done.

Found this funny though;

Sounds pretty biased for Google to charge more for iOS users and a bit unfair, I can see a lawsuit forming over this.

Gracias! Actually, Google had no choice. Apple decided to do this to gain profit ironically. Think of it as a tax

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Yeah, it is weird. Not sure why they have that.

And nope, it can be as unprofessional as possible.

That sounds like it could easily cross the line from being inconvenient to being down right annoying. 

I wouldn't want to listen to a song just to hear the same song that someone has added a trap style beat to.

To my understanding the extra cost is to covere Apple's cut of the profit. 

The extra cost basically ensures that Apple makes money without Google taking a hit on their profit. I also understood like it was Apple's decision to have the raised price.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Gracias! Actually, Google had no choice. Apple decided to do this to gain profit ironically. Think of it as a tax

To my understanding the extra cost is to covere Apples cut of the profit. 

The extra cost basically ensures that Apple makes money without Google taking a hit on their profit. I also understood like it was Apple's decision to have the raised price.

Wow so Apple will get sued not Google, how funny this is. Another reason to hate on Apple, they add charges so they can get their share of profits even though it is not their service. This is too much.  :lol:

Edited by SansVarnic

Tech News Posting Guidelines - READ BEFORE POSTING | Community Standards | Forum Staff

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ | F@H Contribution | My Rig | Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.

~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My Phones are a Nokia Lumia 925 with WM10 and a Microsoft Lumia 950 XL with WM10 running the Fast Ring insider updates. Broke :(

Samsung Note 9 and a Samsung S9+

About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

That sounds like it could easily cross the line from being inconvenient to being down right annoying. 

I wouldn't want to listen to a song just to hear the same song that someone has added a trap style beat to.

My thoughts exactly. Currently, this is the real reason why I haven't made the full switch yet.

Wow so Apple will get sued not Google, how funny this is. Another reason to hate on Apple, they add charges so they can get their share of profits even though it is not their service. This is too much.  :lol:

Well, I think this is the case with any company. Google wouldn't need to make it more expensive because it is their product. Apple would need a cut somehow

soundcloud and youtube will sound the same, but actual 320kbps you will noitce, with GOOD heaphones, and on a soundsystem.  (i use m50x), and (a beafy sound system, where the lower bit rates def are noticed on them beat drops)

Ehhhhh...I use a pair of mm30i (mobile and laptop use) and sennheiser 598s, cloud 2 to listen to music with a sound blaster omni so I wouldn't say my sound system is lacking (not the greatest sound card/dac/amp but it's better than nothing).

edit, happy new year btw :D

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Good review. Well done.

Found this funny though;

pretty sure it is apple taking its cut.............

cause my friend signed up on youtube.com and pays the same amount on ios. 

my guess it is apple taking it's cut from inside ios.