Internet faster through VPN.

Ghost
Go to solution Solved by SteepGnomeKing,

I have the same thing for my VPN and I don't know the reason but it is NOT faster. It is just a quick second boost nothing more. I have a 3mb/s upload and on my VPN on speed test it says I have 10mb/s. I don't actual have it and can not reach that but for some reason speedtest seems to say so.

I'd say it is a mistake that happens with a program such as speedtest and how it conducts the test.

Your VPN does not bypass throttled speeds from your ISP.

Hey, you guys might know the answer to this,

Why is my internet speed faster though a VPN? I usually max out my internet speed limit set by my ISP (76mbit down 15mbit up). I just did a speed test through a VPN and my speed have surpassed the speed limits. I know its encrypted but how is this possible?

Before:

2935571776.png

After:

2935565169.png

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Your current ISP does throttle the Upload speed , thats all i think but i'm not an internet expert so dont't quote me on that.

Interested in Business and Technology

It possible that your ISP is throttling upload speeds, which isn't too uncommon as people who upload a lot generally tend to be running servers and businesses. The VPN might be bypassing those restrictions set by your ISP

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Your current ISP does throttle the Upload speed , thats all i think but i'm not an internet expert so dont't quote me on that.

Its throttled (to 76 down 15 up) because that's all I pay for, and I'm fine with that. But why does putting my connection though a VPN overcome the built in cap on my connection.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

As the others have said it might the ISP throtting your upload speed. It could also be that the VPN is more intelligent in the way it handles packages.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Which VPN is that? 

Just switched to HSS from HMA (used 30 day money back guarantee to support linus). HMA didn't manage to do this on any of the servers they offered me. My connection speed was halved on HMA.

Its throttled (to 76 down 15 up) because that's all I pay for, and I'm fine with that. But why does putting my connection though a VPN overcome the built in cap on my connection.

It's probably because of the public/symmetrical encryption protocols that are being used(It depends on the individual VPN). The ISP might have difficulty policing the data encryption

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

As the others have said it might the ISP throtting your upload speed.

Yes, of course it is, I am aware of this. I have only paid for up to 15mbit/s upload; how is my ISP letting more than 15mbit/s through my connection? That's the question.

Just switched to HSS from HMA (used 30 day money back guarantee to support linus). HMA didn't manage to do this on any of the servers they offered me. My connection speed was halved on HMA.

Ill check hotspotshield ( if thats the HSS you meant lol ) want to see if im being throttled for the absurd amount of money they are getting, and yeah Hide My Ass isnt that secure, its in the US so they ll give their logs if they are asked

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

I have the same thing for my VPN and I don't know the reason but it is NOT faster. It is just a quick second boost nothing more. I have a 3mb/s upload and on my VPN on speed test it says I have 10mb/s. I don't actual have it and can not reach that but for some reason speedtest seems to say so.

I'd say it is a mistake that happens with a program such as speedtest and how it conducts the test.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Yes, of course it is, I am aware of this. I have only paid for up to 15mbit/s upload; how is my ISP letting more than 15mbit/s through my connection? That's the question.

Have you tried any real life test to see if is the actual performance. It might be that SpeedTest and the VPN has some sort of communication error that makes the result. wrong.

And throttling is the wrong word to use, but it is essentially what happens. The VPN migh trick the ISP servers to give you a different speed. This can be done, but usually not for very long periods of time.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

This is not always, strictly speaking, true. It's more dependent on the individual ISP as to how long the "boost" lasts for. Sometimes you can use a VPN to increase speeds indefinitely, or sometimes the opposite happens where all data limits encrypted or otherwise is resticted

I am good at computer

Spoiler

I think the speedtest result is actually more or less the bandwidth between the VPN servers and the speedtest server, rather than your bandwidth directly to the speedtest server, as I'm pretty sure that you cannot bypass the ISP's speed restriction like that.

• 11 months later...

Well this thread is probably dead, but anyways here are my results at work which has a 25/25 FIOS business line and I'm on wireless.

Without any VPN I get the expected results

pGHPKlu.png

And here it is using a VPN, in this case privateinternetaccess.

1V8TVM0.png

Honestly this is fucking amazing, while upload speeds don't change that much, the download speed is 5x greater, and this isn't what speedtest.net is showing, this is actual data being sent into my computer!

Anyone else have similar experiences with this?

• 1 year later...

Actually the SPEED TESTS performed with the VPN are not at all accurate.....In short, the results may surprise you, but the speeds are always with in the Limits of your ISP....I, myself had this situation.My download speed is 50 Mbps and after connecting to my VPN, my speed was 72 Mbps. But I tried to download YouTube videos, but my old speeds were Predominant...Most of the times my Internet was slower than 50 Mbps. Generally VPN throttles your speed rather than Boosting it up since data has to be transmitted to VPN servers first, then encrypted and then sent back to you...All this process results in a lot of time delay and hence the Capping of Speeds....But Speed Test server connects to the VPN server and test it's speed rather than testing your speed....Hence the illusion of Speed Rise.....