CPU overclocking failure - Dead PSU (with d*cpics)

DXMember

that's neat... I would think they would use black wires for the ground to make it easier at for manufacturing,

so since it's a ground pin you think it's a SPARK SPARK SPARK that caused it?

Yeah, that's the wrong one. What you show is a PCIe 8-pin, which is not identical to a CPU 8pin. Also, yellow wire means 12V.

yes indeed. this is the picture:

cablemod2.jpg

I guess that's what prevent people plugging in PCI-E connector in the EPS

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

whatever... also i think if you applied 4v it would kill your cpu.. maybe you mean or 0.4v over your previous voltage..

I got a post error, saying my voltage was too high. When i got to the bios it was reading 4 point something V, either way, my chip survived, so either they're a bit hardier than expected, or the motherboard was getting a funky reading somehow.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Well the board itself could act as a heatsink for the connector on that side. Also, the connection itself is the point of highest resistance, so in the event of a short that's where the heat would be generated, and the PSU-side connector has the innermost layer of plastic around the metal pins.

the motherboard and PSU-side connectors are both male, they both are identical, or am I wrong?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

Just noticed that the SS-1000XP was discontinued and replaced by SS-1050XP3

do you guys think I should expect an SS-1050XP3 to come back from RMA?

the motherboard and PSU-side connectors are both male, they both are identical, or am I wrong?

I was thinking of the socket on the motherboard itself and the motherboard side of the cable. I overlooked the fact that this is a modular PSU. Still, the PSU side could melt for the same reasons.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I was thinking of the socket on the motherboard itself and the motherboard side of the cable. I overlooked the fact that this is a modular PSU. Still, the PSU side could melt for the same reasons.

I'm quite confident there shouldn't be any shorts between motherboard and case, it's an X99S SLI PLUS from MSI and NZXT H440 with decent stand offs

and the system run for a good 10 months without a hic-up

was dusted completely twice or thrice in this period with regular dustfilter cleaning

I guess I'll check it out just to make sure.

Everything can die.

You sound like you've lost it.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

My specs:

Intel i7-5820K - 4.2 GHz @ 1.265V

Corsair Vengence LPX 16GB DDR4 4x4 kit

MSI X99S SLI PLUS

Boot drive: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB

Scrap drive: OCZ Vector 150 240GB

Hard Drive: Seagate 1TB

Sapphire R9 Fury (2x Crossfire)

And so my PSU just crapped out yesterday.

When issues started to appear it coincided with the release of Radeon Crimson (so end of november) - when shutting down windows 60~70% of the time windows would shut down fine and screen went to black but the PSU kept running and the components were still on so I had to turn it off by holding power button. I would not imagine that would be PSU related so I thought to myself that has to do with drivers and crossfire setup probably and will get fixed soon enough.

Yesterday while playing GTA Online with friends I got a sudden system reboot - like nothing, I again thought to myself "hmm... probably the power went off, that's weird none of the other devices turned off, maybe it was a power surge or a voltage spike in the main line and the PC is more sensitive so it probably shut down to prevent damage".

After the reboot everything seemed fine, kept playing GTA for another hour or so. Then I turned to another game called FlyFF, after about 40 minutes of that BAAM, got another system shut down, this time motherboards 24-pin connector lit up a red LED indicating "Bad Power". I turned off PSU for a couple of seconds, turned it back on - seems to be fine. Thought to myself - "oh, there's definitely something going on in the main power line, that's weird" .

Turned back the PC and just to make sure run some stress tests to validate there's nothing damaged and nothing's wrong with PSU, run a fast 10-loop standard IntelBurnTest - came out a success,

run a Furmark for a couple of minutes - came out fine. Opened up browser to watch myself some youtube - BAAAM, I get another system reboot.

When it came back I put Firestrike Extreme Combined test on loop and as it finished 4th loop I was about to leave it and go away for an hour - I get a system reboot and the PC locks up in a restart loop without being able to run POST.

Damn it!! I turned off PSU again, went for a shower. When I came back I decided to rip it open and look for some connector that might have fallen out or something.

To my satisfaction I find that 24-pin is quite loose on the PSU side, it was definitely in place and was connected just fine but the security clip didn't clip. So I decided to check the rest of them - next was CPU 8-pin, it was hard in there, like too hard I kept twisting it until I got out and it turns out one of the power pins had melted the connectors plastic.

Just brought the PSU to my retailer and they were as shocked as I was.

I came in and told my PSU died, the clerk smiled at me and then I pulled out the Seasonic 1000W platinum series box, he stood there with eyes wide open and ask @.@ - "this one died??"

- Yeah, the CPU connector melted on the PSU side

- @.@ the CPU connector? On this PSU... wow...

- Yeah, I know... didn't do anything crazy to it, I promise.

- Okay, we're taking it in for warranty service.

- Maybe you have something to fill in for the service time?

- Nothing of that caliber is in stock... the best we have is a CX550 but it's in order for a client

- Yeah, no that ain't going to work...

So boo-hoo I'm without a gaming rig for 2 to 4 weeks....

And as promised, here are some d*cpics

(​Dead Power Cable PICtureS):

rH4uYh6.jpg

1VLp2yw.jpg

oPoLpUc.jpg

And as you were about to post something along the lines of - don' t cheap out on your PSU:

That's a Seasonic SS-1000XP Platinum Series power supply unit that is placed in God Tier on PSU Tier liest

U4HoMn7.jpg

Omg that sux dude, I feel for ya. Still using my thermaltake 750 bronze for the 6th year. And now have the gtx960. Everyone talks sht about thermaltake but I have yet to have any problems

• 5 weeks later...

Getting my PSU back on Monday - YAY!!!

Or so you would think... I'm totally pissed about it...

So I was nudging the retailer every once in a while since 30th December when I turned in the PSU

the klerk always responded with - "We revieved RMA ticket number from manufacturer and sent it to away, they are deadling with it"

And I could never get a straight answer on when to expect my PSU back or what was wrong with it or any validation that it's a faulty unit and will be replaced...

I decided to contact Seasonic directly - sent them my S/N and asked if the unit has turned up on their side or if they could add me to the notification list when the satus changes on the RMA ticket. Those lovely guys responded within a couple of hours saying that there has never been an RMA claim with this S/N and they are first time hearing about it.

Then I called up the retailer again and asked politletely if I could have the RMA ticket number forwarded to me so I can track the status changes,

they ofcourse tried luring out by saying they do not provide information like that to customers and that I had to claim RMA with Seasonic myself if I wanted to do that, since I returned the unit to retailer they will do it their way and inform me only of the final decision when the PSU arrives back from the service.

I then immediately tried to play smart and said - "Oh, yeah? You know what, I was just talking to Seasonic reps and I don't think you've even started the process yet, and why is it taking so long?"

The klerk started stuttering and trying to come up with something when he finally said that it's actualy their distributer that they claimed RMA with and are working on to service the unit, since they don't want to reveal the distributer (the competition is really strong and usually the retailer that has the best distributer with the best relationship ends up with cheaper prices and they can upsell the products with better profit, so it's a big company secret around here) and as soon as any information is recieved he will immediately contact me.

He sounded pretty confident abaut it and it did sound okay to me, so I let it slide for another two weeks.

This Monday I call him back up to ask what's up with my units service, how's it going, will I get it back by Friday, that'll be the 30 days of service they promissed me.

The klerk was like - "Ya, ya, I remember you, we're waiting on the answer from distributor, it'll take up to 30 days"

I was pretty baffled at that, maybe he misheard me - "Hey, this is the last week of January, I turned in the unit on 30th December, the 30 days will be over this Friday"

- "I'm sorry, how many days did you say?"

- "I said this friday it'll be 30 days since I returned the power supply"

at this point the guy started to stutter and cough, it was obvious he was eating a donut or something like that at the time.

- "Wow, and when did you say you returned the unit?"

- "On the 30th December, it'll be January 30th this week...."

- "Huh.. it's relly been this long?"

- "Yeah, relly, now can I get my PSU back by Friday?"

- "Hey, time went by pretty fast... You know what I'll mail them and ask what's up with that."

- "Can't you call them maybe? I'm really tired of waiting on this thing...."

- "No, no, I'll mail them tomorrow, I'll gather all the info and I'll call you back later to report"

- "Gosh... fine, can you at least mail them today, so they can read your e-mail tomorrow morning and you can call me back by lunch time?"

- "Oh, it's fine I'll mail them tomorrow at 7AM they will still read it at 9AM. I'll call you back as soon as I get all the information"

- "Fine, I'll be waiting your call."

So another day went by, and then another... at this point I start to get really furstrated with that guy and it's pretty obvious he's not doing shiee.... over there.

So I try call him back up - the phone seems to be offline... and I'm like - c'mon.... really this cannot be happening

Then yesterday (thursday) he finally calls me back:

- "Oh, hey, it's us - about the power supply"

- "Yeaaa.... I'm getting it back tomorrow right?"

- "About that... so we basically don't understand what they're doing, it really not going anywhere,,, It's not like it's a motherboard they have to diagnose for weeks, it was pretty obvious the power supply went nuts, I don't know what are they doing with it. Basically can you go to our webpage and browse for a new unit? We'll make a replacement on our side."

- "Well, okay that seems reasonable, thanks."

- "Yeah, just order one you like off our website and put in a note so we know it's you."

- "Okay, thanks again."

So I get relieved, finally it's over I'm  geting treated like a human being. The funny thing is I offered them this exact solution on the very first day when I returned it and they said it was not possible and they can't help anything. But oh well, I'll finally get my PSU I've been waiting for so long.

So I go to their website and obviously they have all the crap brands that I've never heard of and got some of the EVGA, XFX Seasonic and Super Flower units.

I already knew I'll probably be getting SS-1050XP3 as a replacement, so I first check if it's aviable and sure it is, then I decided I should look around maybe I can get a good Leadex unit from Super Flower

Best thing they had was an 80+ Gold 1000W Leadex, fine maybe some platinum EVGA unit since they're still made by Super Flower - turns out they somehow stocked all the BQ, GQ, units that aren't even produced anymore and are OEM'd by some asians, best they had out of that was an 800W Platinum unit

With XFX similar story best one was an 860W Gold unit.

I giggled a little and went with the SS-1050XP3 unit, placed the order, marked it as a warranty service for my SS-1000XP

in litterally 5 minutes the dude calls me back

- "Umm, so yeah we got your order. It's a little more expensive than your original one, so you'll have to pay the difference that'll be 30€ from you"

- "Whaaaat... are you serious?"

- "Yes, why?"

- "C'mon that's the same unit as mine"

- "Okay, but it's more expensive"

- "Well it wasn't my goal to come up with a more expensive option. C'mon I just want my unit to be replaced I'm not looking to make profits here. I browsed your store and most of what you have are either 800~850W units or inferior 1000W units or just plain crap"

- "Well yeah, sorry about that I understand but if you want that unit you'll have to pay the difference or we can return you Money."

- "Oh, lovely, I'll take the Money I already found a store where it's litterally these exact 30€ cheaper that we're having the discussion about now. Are you sure you can't give it to me without paying the extra?"

- "I'm positive, we can offer you any product or number of products for the exact same value, a cheaper unit and return you extra in cash, or you can get a more expensive one and you'll have to pay the difference"

- "Or you can give me all the Money back?"

- "Yes."

- "Fine! I'm taking Money back, can you transfer it to my bank account immediately?"

- "You will have to send us a mail with a claim asking for a refund"

- ".... Okay, I'll send it right away, but you'll do a bank transfer, right? Can you transfer it tomorrow [friday]?"

- "Send us the mail with a claim. We'll transfer it within 10 bussiness days"

- "Fine."

So I send him a mail with my bank account asking to refund the full price and do it with a bank transfer.

I go ahead and order the SS-1050XP3 from another store, the lovely lady calls me up and tells me they can deliver it on Monday.

And that's my story folks... I'll be waiting for Monday and then we can fire up my machine (hopefully without any actual fire this time) and finally play some GTA again...

Bah... it was a very long January... and a very furstrating customer service to deal with...

So... someone messed up their inventory - I got Seasonic 1050W Snow Silent instead )))

Es pretty

On 4/2/2016 at 11:16 PM, DXMember said:

So... someone messed up their inventory - I got Seasonic 1050W Snow Silent instead )))

Es pretty

Dude, that's quite a story, so it was your fault after all :P (i know it was an honest mistake letting slip the loose power connectors). I generally recommend X series Seasonic PSUs for power hungry systems, and still, this doesn't shake my confident in Seasonic build quality, after all the unit didn't fail out of no where, cause i believe if you've discovered the issue earlier..., well there are no buts, what's done is done, glad you got your problem fixed homey 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |