Folding@home Installation guide! Linux distros and server.

Folding@home Installation guide!

Remember to log in as root! this tutorial is terminal based. if you need to download something for ubuntu/mint/debian please click on the links down below to get your software open in the software center.

Tips for root access! Dont use root always it is better to use root for the installation of F@H but not for to work with it. if you need the urgent to work as root typ the sudo command it will promt you a message for a password that password is you're user password. If you dont like to use always passwords then give your own root password to be always logged in as root. Just

Type the following command: sudo passwd The following message will appear: [sudo] password for [username]: [Type your user password and press return] After that another message will appear, the following: Type new UNIX password: [Type the root password you want] Now the last thing you need to do, the following: Retype new UNIX password: [Retype the root password you chosen before] The following message will appear: passwd: password updated successfully If the above message showed up on your terminal, you can now use the root privileges by typing: su And then type the password you chosen. That's it! Else, start over the steps of the answer, you probably typed something wrong.

update the system first. for ubuntu/mint/debian sudo apt-get update for Redhat / Centos / Fedora yum update.

32bit:
Ubuntu/Mint/Debian based distro's

First step get the downloads

wget --no-check-certificate https://fah.stanford.edu/file-releases/public/release/fahclient/debian-testing-32bit/v7.3/fahclient_7.3.6_i386.deb
wget --no-check-certificate https://fah.stanford.edu/file-releases/public/release/fahcontrol/debian-testing-64bit/v7.3/fahcontrol_7.3.6-1_all.deb
wget --no-check-certificate https://fah.stanford.edu/file-releases/public/release/fahviewer/debian-testing-32bit/v7.3/fahviewer_7.3.6_i386.deb

Install the FAHClient.
sudo dpkg -i --force-depends fahclient_7.3.6_amd64.deb

The package will prompt for initial setup information, user name, etc. Enter information or change as needed, and click OK.

Install the FAHControl.
sudo dpkg -i --force-depends fahcontrol_7.3.6-1_all.deb

Optionally, install the FAHViewer.
sudo dpkg -i --force-depends fahviewer_7.3.6_amd64.deb

Done. The FAHClient is installed and running as a service. Manage, monitor and update settings using the FAHControl.

Next go to your menu and search for science Fahcontrol open that up and setup team number etc...

Server only install

wget --no-check-certificate https://fah.stanford.edu/file-releases/public/release/fahclient/debian-testing-32bit/v7.3/fahclient_7.3.6_i386.deb

Install the FAHClient.

Then go to the directory and look up for some help and configure the client.
cd /etc/fahclient/

Documentation:
./FAHClient --help

Configuration using config.xml:
./FAHClient --configure

Start stop server procces

/etc/init.d/FAHClient start
OR pathway to client
cd /etc/fahclient hit enter then put this in FAHClient

/etc/init.d/FAHClient stop
OR When in terminal procces is in the front running press CTRL+X

Redhat / Centos / Fedora

wget --no-check-certificate https://fah.stanford.edu/file-releases/public/release/fahclient/centos-5.5-32bit/v7.3/fahclient-7.3.6-1.i686.rpm
wget --no-check-certificate https://fah.stanford.edu/file-releases/public/release/fahcontrol/centos-5.3-64bit/v7.3/fahcontrol-7.3.6-1.noarch.rpm
wget --no-check-certificate https://fah.stanford.edu/file-releases/public/release/fahviewer/centos-5.5-32bit/v7.3/fahviewer-7.3.6-1.i686.rpm

Install the FAHClient.
rpm -i --nodeps fahclient-7.3.6-1.i686.rpm

The package will prompt for initial setup information, user name, etc. Enter information or change as needed, and click OK.

Install the FAHControl.
rpm -i --nodeps fahcontrol-7.3.6-1.noarch.rpm

rpm -i --nodeps fahviewer-7.3.6-1.i686.rpm

Done. The FAHClient is installed and running as a service. Manage, monitor and update settings using the FAHControl.

Next go to your menu and search for science Fahcontrol open that up and setup team number etc...

Server only install

wget --no-check-certificate https://fah.stanford.edu/file-releases/public/release/fahclient/centos-5.5-32bit/v7.3/fahclient-7.3.6-1.i686.rpm

Install the FAHClient.
rpm -i --nodeps fahclient-7.3.6-1.i686.rpm

cd /etc/fahclient/

Documentation:
./FAHClient --help

./FAHClient --configure

OR pathway to client

64bit:

wget --no-check-certificate https://fah.stanford.edu/file-releases/public/release/fahclient/debian-testing-64bit/v7.3/fahclient_7.3.6_amd64.deb
wget --no-check-certificate https://fah.stanford.edu/file-releases/public/release/fahcontrol/debian-testing-64bit/v7.3/fahcontrol_7.3.6-1_all.deb
wget --no-check-certificate https://fah.stanford.edu/file-releases/public/release/fahviewer/debian-testing-64bit/v7.3/fahviewer_7.3.6_amd64.deb

Install the FAHClient.

Install the FAHControl.
sudo dpkg -i --force-depends fahcontrol_7.3.6-1_all.deb

sudo dpkg -i --force-depends fahviewer_7.3.6_amd64.deb

Server only install

wget --no-check-certificate https://fah.stanford.edu/file-releases/public/release/fahclient/debian-testing-64bit/v7.3/fahclient_7.3.6_amd64.deb

Install the FAHClient.

cd /etc/fahclient/

Documentation:
./FAHClient --help

./FAHClient --configure

OR pathway to client

Redhat / Centos / Fedora

wget --no-check-certificate https://fah.stanford.edu/file-releases/public/release/fahclient/centos-5.3-64bit/v7.3/fahclient-7.3.6-1.x86_64.rpm
wget --no-check-certificate https://fah.stanford.edu/file-releases/public/release/fahcontrol/centos-5.3-64bit/v7.3/fahcontrol-7.3.6-1.noarch.rpm
wget --no-check-certificate https://fah.stanford.edu/file-releases/public/release/fahviewer/centos-5.3-64bit/v7.3/fahviewer-7.3.6-1.x86_64.rpm

Install the FAHClient.
rpm -i --nodeps fahclient-7.3.6-1.x86_64.rpm

Install the FAHControl.
rpm -i --nodeps fahcontrol-7.3.6-1.noarch.rpm

rpm -i --nodeps fahviewer-7.3.6-1.x86_64.rpm

Next go to your menu and search for science Fahcontrol open that up and setup team number etc..

Server only install

wget --no-check-certificate https://fah.stanford.edu/file-releases/public/release/fahclient/centos-5.3-64bit/v7.3/fahclient-7.3.6-1.x86_64.rpm

Install the FAHClient.
rpm -i --nodeps fahclient-7.3.6-1.x86_64.rpm

cd /etc/fahclient/

Documentation:
./FAHClient --help

./FAHClient --configure

OR pathway to client

Tips!!!!!!!!!

For the Config.xml.... If you dont like the auto install by command then do it by writing it just like in notepad to edit the config.xml go to the directory cd /etc/fahclient/ then typ nano config.xml that command wil give you a editor just like notepad you can edit the file and exiting by pressing CRL+X it wil ask "do you want to save this modification" Y/N just enter Y and press the enter key in

This is my setting

<config>
  <user value="you're user name here"/>
  <team value="223518"/>
  <passkey value="passkey ifrom you're mailbox"/>
  </config>

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Spot reserved for youtube tutorial.

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Nice tutorial, Did not really read the commands .etc but I will make sure to use it when I start my folding farm! :D

EDIT: Also, Might want to add centered and bolded sub headings .etc

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

If you need any additional info for your guide, your more than welcome to take from the guide I help made with my other team.  ;)  

(linking you directly to the "2/4 processor server" part of our guide  :) )

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/34683-12-toms-hardware-folding-home-team-guide-testing#1147132

Some things are a little old and need updating but for the most part, things in this area are still relevant.

Added a link to this from the main Links post :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

updated some things :) @warmon6 How do you mean by old? this is for the new V7 beta client..  

updated some things :) @warmon6 How do you mean by old? this is for the new V7 beta client..  

Wasn't meaning the guide your making  ;)

There are some parts of "my" guide that I linked in the post above that needed updating. At the time my guide was built, it was still recommended to use v6 client for server base operation.

Although my guide is over a year old and things have changed since then. 

But there are still parts of it that is still relevant. Such as the file system that F@H is on may cause some unnecessary delays.

In Ubuntu for example, if your File System that F@H is on is ext4, it seams F@H has a writing delay or post-processing issue. ext3 doesn't have this problem.

do you have a 64bit or 32bit ubuntu?

Question! this topic had been read 110  times did this work for you guys? i want some feedback.

Question! this topic had been read 110  times did this work for you guys? i want some feedback.

Answered with another question. :)  Have you looked at the build guide for ubuntu over at [H]ard? I ask because as part of their script they install an additional program, Kraken. This can help boost PPD - but, they are also using older clients. So, not sure if using your method would generate better PPD as it is a ver 7 client. As probably more of a Linux user them moi, I am wondering what your thoughts on this are.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

The kraken is for V6 the kraken does not support it for V7 i think but i am going to cross test it.

The kraken is for V6 the kraken does not support it for V7 i think but i am going to cross test it.

Or is there a similar option for v7? Probably not as [H]ard still uses v6...

• 4 weeks later...

Just joined! :)

Will have laptop 24/7 and desktop whenever I'm at school. :)

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." -- Al Capone.

• 4 months later...

I just put two of my linux boxes to do the math. Might also add two more :)

[EDIT] Now all my linux servers are folding.

Edited by JantsoP

I just put two of my linux boxes to do the math. Might also add two more :)

[EDIT] Now all my linux servers are folding.

Welcome to the club!

Welcome to the club!

Thank you. Two of them are gonna shutdown in few weeks due i got them as free promo (wich the company does alot)

Thank you. Two of them are gonna shutdown in few weeks due i got them as free promo (wich the company does alot)

Two weeks better than zero weeks. :)

Nice to see that it worked the guide for you. did you had any trouble with the guide?

• 8 months later...

I am unable to download the any of the files for Fedora 20 server i have tried the links in this thread and have google has only turned up the same result

once they are up again i am going to upload mirror links that can never go offline.

• 6 months later...

Good guide.  Should work well.  Thanks for promoting a good project.

Note the fah linux guide has updated client links for v7.4.4.   B)  

• 4 years later...

Hello,

Just a warning for anyone running FAH on a 64-bit install - the FAHControl deb package doesn't play nice with modern Debian/Ubuntu. That being said, you can still use the web interface for F@H (https://client.foldingathome.org - remember to disable any ad blockers that may stop it from accessing 127.0.0.1, which it does to talk to the local client installed on your system) to view your stats and whatnot.

This has been documented on the Folding@Home GitHub project in Issue #20. It appears that many of the issues stem from the python-gnome2 package and its unavailability in the latest Debian and Ubuntu apt repositories. In terms of Python 3 support, they state: "A new client is being worked on, but there's no ETA." That being said, you may not be able to run the current FAHClient on your modern 64-bit Linux install. Just a heads up for anyone banging their head against the wall wondering if the problem is just them. A new client will be out sometime!

(Obviously, at some point, this post will become outdated. Always check the fah-control GitHub Project for the latest support and issues.)

I would note that if you're running RHEL8 or recent Fedora, you will need to change the 'USER' set in `/etc/init.d/FAHClient` to 'root'. Otherwise you may get an error similar to cannot find `OpenCl.so` binary even though you have all the packages properly installed. Disabling SElinux did not help either, would need to look into it further.

~~~

lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root     29 Mar 23 16:51 /usr/lib64/libOpenCL.so -> /usr/lib64/libOpenCL.so.1.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root     18 Jul 26  2019 /usr/lib64/libOpenCL.so.1 -> libOpenCL.so.1.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 137304 Jul 26  2019 /usr/lib64/libOpenCL.so.1.0.0

~~~

Also, the `/usr/bin/FAHControl` script requires deprecated python2.7 so you may need to install that and then run the script: `python2.7 /usr/bin/FAHControl`

Cheers,

MM

On 3/23/2020 at 11:53 PM, cybersec said:

Hello,

Just a warning for anyone running FAH on a 64-bit install - the FAHControl deb package doesn't play nice with modern Debian/Ubuntu. That being said, you can still use the web interface for F@H (https://client.foldingathome.org - remember to disable any ad blockers that may stop it from accessing 127.0.0.1, which it does to talk to the local client installed on your system) to view your stats and whatnot.

This has been documented on the Folding@Home GitHub project in Issue #20. It appears that many of the issues stem from the python-gnome2 package and its unavailability in the latest Debian and Ubuntu apt repositories. In terms of Python 3 support, they state: "A new client is being worked on, but there's no ETA." That being said, you may not be able to run the current FAHClient on your modern 64-bit Linux install. Just a heads up for anyone banging their head against the wall wondering if the problem is just them. A new client will be out sometime!

(Obviously, at some point, this post will become outdated. Always check the fah-control GitHub Project for the latest support and issues.)

Thank YOU so much for this.  Now the head swelling can go down now that the head V wall battle has stopped.  I have been trying to get the software to install since yesterday.  Now my old PC sits with nothing to do after I just rebuilt it.  It's not like I can just sell it these days. 

Though since my Ubuntu was a clean install with no data is there a version of Ubuntu of some other free OS that will work with F@H?