Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zMeul

almost 10000 back & white TV sets still active in UK

-snip-

Why the hell do you need a TV license? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, glad I live in the US where I can do whatever the fuck I want.

TV license?

Thank God we don't have those here..

You dont need one but if you dont wanna get arrested you probably should.

Actually you don't need a TV licence. It is only required if you are going to watch Television on it :)

"You do not need a TV Licence if you only use your TV to watch videos and DVDs or as a monitor for your games console." - Official TV Licensing

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

It's not just limited to TV iinm. Even if you stream live from your computer, you'll still need to have the TV license. I heard that sometimes when you buy TV from those familiar retailers like Currys/John Lewis etc2, they'll automatically sign you up for the TV license so no avoid that. 

Sure, I was using Live TV in a broad sense, it doesn't matter how it's obtained. You need a Licence for all live TV, be that satellite, Cable, OTA freeview, or over the internet.

Retailers don't automatically sign you up, but they do pass on personal details obtained from selling TV receiving equipment to the licencing authorities. So if for example you buy a TV from John Lewis, your details will be passed on and held in a database and checked against whether you have a TV licence, if you don't you'll probably get a letter in the post. IIRC from when I used to work at a high street retailer, it's a legal requirement to pass on this information.

Actually you don't need a TV licence. It is only required if you are going to watch Television on it :)

"You do not need a TV Licence if you only use your TV to watch videos and DVDs or as a monitor for your games console." - Official TV Licensing

Do you pay for a TV service as well as your license? 

Do you pay for a TV service as well as your license? 

you only pay more if you want a cable like services, eg sky, virgin, bt where they offer 100's of channels and all that. you can also get freeview boxes that cost very little and have no monthly cost and give you what can be considered a very good selection of channels.

I didn't know Americans don't have TV licenses.

all the programs here are around 22-24 minutes long leaving 6-8 minutes for show transition/ commercials. These 6-8 minutes are usually distributed 2 minutes after the show, and 2-3 breaks in the middle of the show (usually at semi-dramatic moments) that last 2-3 minutes. Any company can pay to fill those slots (slots are typically 30 seconds or 1 minute blocks of those times), but they have to pay the network in order to do so and thus whoever pays the most gets the "prime" time blocks (when most people watch tv ~7pm) but it does keep the TV free and even lets most of the local communities have their own news stations zeroing in on community concerns and events otherwise filled by other shows which they make agreements with. A bit complicated, and if you have enough money you can fill a lot of the blocks...but hey TV is a luxury after all- we often forget that. 

Oh, and i forgot one last thing, there are many different types of TV you can get here "air" through antennae which has less channels (think 10-30), Cable connected to a company line which has more (think 50-100), Or satellite which is dish based and costs like 50 bucks an month but you do get hundreds of channels including premium ones not otherwise offered by some cable companies (cable companies decide which channels you get if you buy their package btw)

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Why the hell do you need a TV license? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, glad I live in the US where I can do whatever the fuck I want.

Because TV is publicly owned, so we dont get as many adverts and on some tv channels we get none at all. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Are the words "independent" and "ad-free" hard to understand?

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

all the programs here are around 22-24 minutes long leaving 6-8 minutes for show transition/ commercials. These 6-8 minutes are usually distributed 2 minutes after the show, and 2-3 breaks in the middle of the show (usually at semi-dramatic moments) that last 2-3 minutes. Any company can pay to fill those slots (slots are typically 30 seconds or 1 minute blocks of those times), but they have to pay the network in order to do so and thus whoever pays the most gets the "prime" time blocks (when most people watch tv ~7pm) but it does keep the TV free and even lets most of the local communities have their own news stations zeroing in on community concerns and events otherwise filled by other shows which they make agreements with. A bit complicated, and if you have enough money you can fill a lot of the blocks...but hey TV is a luxury after all- we often forget that.

Yeah, it's like that on most channels here, but the BBC is ad free because of the license money.

It's funny though, if you don't pay the fee, they will send threatening letters to your house demanding you pay it. They'll even send a person from the corporation to visit your premises, you don't need to let them in to your property. As soon as you buy a TV, expect a letter to be arriving unless you have a license. Many people actually get sent to court for not paying the fee. The only advantage is the legal loopholes there are and the fact that one license will cover all the TV's in the house. And if you use a TV as a monitor, your somehow still liable apparently. More recently they still hound dead people for not having licenses 0_0

Haha. When people pay for a TV license, they are asked whether it is Colour or Black and White. 10,000 households have ticked the Black and White box.

And yes, it's strange people in the UK still have TV licenses, it's an outdated model that will die eventually, we just haven't worked out how to end the practice yet.

TVs gonna be relevant for a long time. I dont see them going away anytime soon. 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

it is a TV License in Norway too, 3 tv channels with no ads that isnt about own programs (like witch program that is going later that thay)

also have a new site with no ads, and the stuff that happens with american news that say stuff because someone pay them for it (like big companies that also sponsor Politicians) does never happen on that news. also radio with no ads.

AND shows they make and show, you can see free on the internett.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Can you receive television with an antenna in the UK?

I live in belgium and you can get like 3-4 channels with a simple tv hooked up with an antenna.

Channels are like managed by the gov or whatever, it's the same-ish like the BBC.

But you can receive them for free, they have ads, but really not that much compared to the rest...

It's like the same stuff they use in asia to receive television on their phone with that an antenna stuff, it works here too :D

Limited options, but it works.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

So does the license help reduce commercials? If so I am all for bringing this in the US! 

Unless Comcast gets a say, in which case I rather not have to pay $100+ for ad free TV :/

Yes, on places like the BBC there are no adverts so you don't need to hear how good x brands kitchen cleaner is.

It's also optional (so if you don't watch broadcasted tv like my family..), so to the guy complaining about it should be taxes would only bite himself by paying tax on a service he might not even use.

I just want to buy a B&W tv so I can make a kick-butt Fallout PC in it

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

10,000 people is really insignificant....
I'm pretty sure there are plenty more people in the UK who simply say they don't need a TV License to avoid paying it, instead of putting black and white? 
If anything saying black and white is much more suspicious then saying you don't need a TV License  :lol: 

They hardly ever come and check either way. And if they ever do then you can simply say you aren't using your TV for live broadcasting, say you're using it to watch catch up services, or as a screen for a device (like a console/pc) and they will leave. 

The worse that could happen would be if you're renting a house/flat, they can request that your landlord cuts off your access to broadcast'ed television. And even then you can just say you changed your mind and start paying the TV License cost if you actually needed it. 

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

Denmark has it too, we are just some people who choose to not notify the Government that charges us the money. Seriously its a yearly fee of 250 GBP in Denmark and the worst thing they can do, is force sign you up, in which you can easily get your self removed from.

Further more, its not like they ''backtrack'' your use of television, they know they cant do anything, and are happy if you actually pay.

PS: You must pay for this license if you own; A radio, cellphone with internet access, a computer with internet access or a tv.

Monthly fee is 20-25 GBP.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

it was the same in my country too, well not sure if it's the same or not
it's owned by Gov. and the amount you pay based on what kind of "TV" you have.
the good thing about it, No Ads! and other crap. but it didn't last long after other commercial TV come up and they're forced to abandon these thing.

3051585_20121116055729.jpg

not mine

Well it's probably just all old people who either don't know colour TV exists, are elderly and just don't give a sh*t and keep paying the license or hipsters that think black and white is superior or some shit. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 8GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Well, at least I don't have to worry about the weekly mass shooting being at my school, so there's that

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K - CPU Cooler: Cryorig R1 Universal - Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER - RAM: 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz - GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

Storage: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W - Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown - Headphone: Audio Technica ATH-M50X / Sennheiser HD600 - Monitor: Dell U2414H

Well, at least I don't have to worry about the weekly mass shooting being at my school, so there's that

Weekly?? They happen less than once a month, only idiots and the FBI count gang on gang crimes. There have been around 5 mass shootings in reality last year.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Weekly?? They happen less than once a month, only idiots and the FBI count gang on gang crimes. There have been around 5 mass shootings in reality last year.

Hey, if someone's gonna exaggerate the TV License as being the stupidest thing he's ever heard, I'll exaggerate to weekly.

Also, I find it both fucking hilarious and depressing that your counter to my statement is that it's less than once a month, like that's so much better than weekly.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K - CPU Cooler: Cryorig R1 Universal - Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER - RAM: 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz - GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

Storage: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W - Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown - Headphone: Audio Technica ATH-M50X / Sennheiser HD600 - Monitor: Dell U2414H

It's funny though, if you don't pay the fee, they will send threatening letters to your house demanding you pay it. They'll even send a person from the corporation to visit your premises, you don't need to let them in to your property. As soon as you buy a TV, expect a letter to be arriving unless you have a license. Many people actually get sent to court for not paying the fee. The only advantage is the legal loopholes there are and the fact that one license will cover all the TV's in the house. And if you use a TV as a monitor, your somehow still liable apparently. More recently they still hound dead people for not having licenses 0_0

Technically, the license is required for every set of rooms behind a 'secure door', not a building.

If you owned two properties side by side and you used both of them as your house, if they have separate front doors and no connecting door you have to pay for two licenses, even if they have the same address.

You only have to pay the fee to watch live television. You don't have to have a TV License if you simply own a television.

'Hounding dead people' is an exaggeration. If you don't inform any agency that collects a fee that a person has deceased they will seek to claim payment until proof of death is obtained.

Hey, if someone's gonna exaggerate the TV License as being the stupidest thing he's ever heard, I'll exaggerate to weekly.

Also, I find it both fucking hilarious and depressing that your counter to my statement is that it's less than once a month, like that's so much better than weekly.

I was merely correcting you not countering your statement, that would be pointless as our perspectives differ (so it would just become an argument), I will concur that calling a tv license the stupidest thing ever is hyperbole but I have to state that I dislike the idea mostly due to a distrust for any government licensing for the sake of revenue, as it seems relatively unnecessary to have it separate from taxes, though I don't live in the UK so really it doesn't matter to me.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

why is the license tied to the TV and not to the "box"

i mean if i buy a monitor for my pc i dont to pay this license right ?

Yes it is stupid.

We have taxes for a reason, those already partially go to public television. In fact we wouldn't have Bob Ross without taxes. No need to add onto it with a TV license.

You only need the TV license if you watch TV as it's being broadcasted. It's not about how many monitors or TV's you have at home. You can watch VOD's of broadcasted programs. I don't have a TV license, but I have a TV and do watch VOD's and so on. A guy from the Licensing agency came over once to check and he said it was fine.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

why is the license tied to the TV and not to the "box"

i mean if i buy a monitor for my pc i dont to pay this license right ?

The TV License is tied to a 'secure door'.

For example, in my student flats, because the doors to our rooms had security locks on them they counted as a secure door and each room required a TV License.

However, at home, we have one secure door, the front door, so the whole house is covered for as many live TV broadcasts as we can handle.

You only need the license to watch live television. You can even watch BBC iPlayer without a license as long as the thing your watching isn't live.

I was merely correcting you not countering your statement, that would be pointless as our perspectives differ (so it would just become an argument), I will concur that calling a tv license the stupidest thing ever is hyperbole but I have to state that I dislike the idea mostly due to a distrust for any government licensing for the sake of revenue, as it seems relatively unnecessary to have it separate from taxes, though I don't live in the UK so really it doesn't matter to me.

The advantage of having it separate to tax is that the BBC are not state controlled media. It also means that if you don't have a TV and never plan to watch live TV at your own house you don't have to pay it.