Does keeping pc on the ground (carpet) or generaly sleeping in the same room with PC bad for sleep quality?

bydus

I was wondering, does keeping and sleeping in the same room as the pc (even when not on during the night) make the air bad. It kinda makes the air electrified or something like that. I'm having troubles with sleeping lately and was wondering if it was PC related. I also have TV and other electric devices in my room, extension cordes etc. Was there some sort of study about sleeping in the same room with electric devices?

I was wondering, does keeping and sleeping in the same room as the pc (even when not on during the night) make the air bad. It kinda makes the air electrified or something like that. I'm having troubles with sleeping lately and was wondering if it was PC related. I also have TV and other electric devices in my room, extension cordes etc. Was there some sort of study about sleeping in the same room with electric devices?

ehh.. i dont even know what to say

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

nope.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

this makes no sense... 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.1GHZ | MOBO: Asus Rampage Extreme V Eatx LGA2011-3 | RAM: 16.00GB DDR4 G-Skills Ripjaws @2400Mhz | GPU: 2x Gtx 980 | CASE: Cooler Master Cosmos 2 | STORAGE: 400GB INTEL 750 Series PCI-E SSD/ 3TB Western Digital WDC | PSU: Corsair AXi 1200w | DISPLAYS: ASUS PB287Q (3840x2160@60Hz) And LG27MU67 (3840x2160@60Hz)

Your PC has nothing to do with your problem. Whether the source is an actual problem with your body or mind, a computer is DEFINITELY not the cause.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I think your concern comes from studies where people are using their devices while laying in bed and that affects how they sleep. They do not affect air quality.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

This makes zero sense at all, sounds like an old wives tale to me. I sleep just as badly next to my PC than anywhere else.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Try it, unplug everything in your room. I let my PC on at night and sleep really good.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

If anything it makes the air cleaner slightly by trapping dust

The only thing the pc can do that affects your sleeping is noise or making the room warmer 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I would be more worried for the PC not sleeping well ....

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

i sleep in the same room as my gaming pc 

Unless your PC is like mine (unnecessarily loud and bright) you should not experience much of anything, and even if your PC is like mine, put it to sleep, that will save on power and maybe improve sleep quality (unless there is other stuff affecting sleep). Really you should only be worrying about light, primarily blue colored light, as that affects sleep the most. 

My PC
Spoiler

Starry Night:

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700k | Motherboard: MSI Z270 SLI Plus | RAM: 32 GB GSkill DDR4 2133 MHz | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition | Case: NZXT H440 | Storage: Crucial MX300 M.2 | PSU: Corsair RMx 750 | Display(s): Dell S2417DG 2560X1440, Dual AOC 1920X1080 (E2426WD, I2421VWH) | Cooling: NXZT Kraken x61 | Keyboard: Logitech K350 | Mouse: Logitech M500 | Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Channel and Phillips SHP9500 | Operating System: Windows 10

Tyrosine:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 "Wolfdale"   Motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3L   RAM: 4 GB DDR2 400 MHz   GPU Power Color R9 380 4GB   Case: Antec with Blue light and over 9000 fans, and 9000 lbs   Storage: Samsung Evo 850 + 600 GB HDD   PSU: Corsair VX 550 W   Display(s): Dual AOC 1920X1080 (E2426WD, I2421VWH)   Cooling: Did I mention the case?   Keyboard: Logitech K350   Mouse: Logitech M500   Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Channel and Phillips SHP9500  Operating System: Windows 7 on Desktop, Ubuntu 14.04 on Laptop and everything else

Kids, do drugs, the science way! Note:

Spoiler

I am involved in computational medicinal chemistry research and am interested in pharmaceuticals as a researcher, in no way do I endorse the taking of the drugs. Never.

I know they can make the room hotter and that can make it hard to sleep if you dislike heat. (I know this because my sister leaves her gaming laptop on 24/7 and I had to share a room with her for a few nights. It was the middle of a huge snowstorm and I slept with no blankets and was still sweating because it put off that much heat.)

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

I have heard things in the past about the EMF (electromagnetic field) emitted by electronic devices interfering with the human body and its natural magnetic fields, however i have never seen any concrete evidence and would assume that computer components are tested and designed to be within safety regulations, its more likely something playing on your mind that is causing your sleepless nights.

The most likely reason for sleep disturbances with tech is staring at screens before sleeping. Bright lights, especially in the blue spectrum, supresses melatonin production and will make you not sleep as well.

No, nothing bad is going to happen to you, if anything, the noise may be annoying to you but other than that, nope.

Now please, remove that tin foil hat.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Well of course it does. You see when the computer is off it still draws power, which when is not being spent releases miniature electrodes into the air, and inhaling them can cause rashes in the throat. The only way to get a cure for said throat rashes is extensive surgical repair that costs thousands of dollars. 

Now if you believed any of what I just said, you should exit the internet and never return. :D 

[spoiler=Current Rig] N/A

When it comes to health-based New Age beliefs, science gets completely thrown out the window.

Nothing but a load of myths, legends, claims and general nonsense that can't be trusted.

Now please, remove that tin foil hat.

indeed, that's a static producer and we know how delicate PC parts are allergic to said static!!!!

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

I was wondering, does keeping and sleeping I also have TV and other electric devices in my room

The most likely reason for sleep disturbances with tech is staring at screens before sleeping. Bright lights, especially in the blue spectrum, supresses melatonin production and will make you not sleep as well.

^this. If you leave your TV or other screen type things on then yes (even if you're not directly looking at it) the lights will mess with sleep. But if you just have your PC running and the screen off, then no.

You can be very sensitive to the noise your PC makes and not notice it while awake but I doubt it. Air wise, your lungs are safe ;) 

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

Try opening your window just a little bit so that fresh air can come in,maybe you don't have much airflow in your room.If youre using phone before sleep,thats bad,if youre eating sweets before bed,thats bad to cuz sugar makes your brain active and you cant sleep..