Planning New Custom Water Cooling Loop

cakez
Go to solution Solved by stealth80,

You answered your own question:

"I know that you shouldn't run a pump dry"

So obviously you wait until the water reaches the pump and then you turn it on. In some loops you can even fill it almost completly before turning the pump on, depending on the layout.

Just to elaborate this further, when I fill my loop I fill the res as much as possible to the brim. I then switch power on and the pump moves the fluid, before the res reaches 1/4 I kill power. Just repeat this until the loops is filled and follow by the enjoyment of bleeding, particular fun on my heavy ass modded X9 with 2 loops ...

I'm planning a new custom water cooling loop,and I don't want to use a pump/res combo because I don't like the aesthetics of them.So back to the point, if I use a pump and a res not combined together,the liquid will take a couple of seconds to reach the pump,and I know that you shouldn't run a pump dry,so do I let the pump run dry for a couple of seconds or run the pump when the liquid gets there?

I'm planning a new custom water cooling loop,and I don't want to use a pump/res combo because I don't like the aesthetics of them.So back to the point, if I use a pump and a res not combined together,the liquid will take a couple of seconds to reach the pump,and I know that you shouldn't run a pump dry,so do I let the pump run dry for a couple of seconds or run the pump when the liquid gets there?

*facepalm*

Okay, you put the water into the reservoir and it will flow through the pump, because of something called gravity. And then you turn the pump on.  :rolleyes: 

The pump must be located below the reservoir.

The loop should always be full of fluid especially if it is bled correctly. Best way to prevent cavitation is to locate the pump low in the loop, that will ensure there is always a head of fluid to the pump under gravity

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

*facepalm*

Okay, you put the water into the reservoir and it will flow through the pump, because of something called gravity. And then you turn the pump on.  :rolleyes: 

The pump must be located below the reservoir.

I understand gravity numbskull,I was asking if I turn on the pump after the liquid gets there or before

In the loop, the pump is always right after the res and always below it so as stated before, gravity will keep the pump fed with fluid. NEVER RUN THE PUMP DRY, even for a single second.

The loop should always be full of fluid especially if it is bled correctly. Best way to prevent cavitation is to locate the pump low in the loop, that will ensure there is always a head of fluid to the pump under gravity

thx,but if I have multiple pumps,around the case what should I do?

In the loop, the pump is always right after the res and always below it so as stated before, gravity will keep the pump fed with fluid. NEVER RUN THE PUMP DRY, even for a single second.

k

*facepalm*

I understand gravity numbskull,I was asking if I turn on the pump after the liquid gets there or before

So obviously you wait until the water reaches the pump and then you turn it on. In some loops you can even fill it almost completly before turning the pump on, depending on the layout.

thx,but if I have multiple pumps,around the case what should I do?

Why multiple pumps? Are you making separate loops?

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

thx,

Just to elaborate this further, when I fill my loop I fill the res as much as possible to the brim. I then switch power on and the pump moves the fluid, before the res reaches 1/4 I kill power. Just repeat this until the loops is filled and follow by the enjoyment of bleeding, particular fun on my heavy ass modded X9 with 2 loops ...

Ryzen Ram Guide

thx,and btw I love the "ICED BLOOD"

Make sure you have tissue around all connections on first boot, and use a shorting link on your 24 pin atx connector (don't connect anything to the PSU other than the pump)

And thanks, it's taken a year but it's there!

Ryzen Ram Guide

Make sure you have tissue around all connections on first boot, and use a shorting link on your 24 pin atx connector (don't connect anything to the PSU other than the pump)

And thanks, it's taken a year but it's there!

k