Keyboard mod: 2 LEDs and white cover

duzy_wonsz

Hello guys.

Week ago I've bought a Quickfire TK brown and I'd like to make it stand out more. (I thought it would be better than my old blackwidow, but lack of hand-rest makes it so damn high and those brown switches that feel like there is sand stuck inside... But I'm going to buy a set of different switches for it, so it's not a problem. )

One idea was to rewire power to the LEDs under arrows F12 and FN to make it white all the time and add green or red LEDs under them to indicate their state (on or off). Does anyone know if someone was able to do such thing?? (2 LEDs under single key) Or if it's possible to make it RGB.

Second thing is to paint the cover (everything except the keys) white, so it would stand out more, but! (I've modded my case painting metal parts with powder and plastic front with matte Montana spray cans. The issue is the front darkened up a little and got dirty way too fast, while the metal powdered parts are white, pretty and shiny.) So how do you paint the keyboard so it won't peel off, lose its color or shine?

Hello guys.

Week ago I've bought a Quickfire TK brown and I'd like to make it stand out more. (I thought it would be better than my old blackwidow, but lack of hand-rest makes it so damn high and those brown switches that feel like there is sand stuck inside... But I'm going to buy a set of different switches for it, so it's not a problem. )

One idea was to rewire power to the LEDs under arrows F12 and FN to make it white all the time and add green or red LEDs under them to indicate their state (on or off). Does anyone know if someone was able to do such thing?? (2 LEDs under single key) Or if it's possible to make it RGB.

Second thing is to paint the cover (everything except the keys) white, so it would stand out more, but! (I've modded my case painting metal parts with powder and plastic front with matte Montana spray cans. The issue is the front darkened up a little and got dirty way too fast, while the metal powdered parts are white, pretty and shiny.) So how do you paint the keyboard so it won't peel off, lose its color or shine?

You know that you can just buy a wrist rest, right? Those don't cost a lot.

As for the LEDs, I wouldn't try for something like that, seems like something that would just break stuff.

I own and use, sorted from newest to oldest: SteelSeries 6Gv2. Microsoft SideWinder X4. Mionix Naos 7000. Zowie EC1 Evo. Microsoft SideWinder X8. Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. Dell U2414H. Samsung P2270H. AKG K273 Pro. Sennheiser HD555. Razer Goliathus Speed Medium. Func 1030 L. Qpad CT Medium.

I used to own: Razer DeathAdder 3G. Razer Krait. IntelliMouse Optical 1.1. SteelSeries QcK.

You can checkout if it would be possible to use dual-color leds with your board. Also, the powder painting is the best method for covering things in paint with an even, clear coats. Not sure how to handle it with the plastic though... Did you use primer?  

There isn't a standard store paint that I've found that holds up well to constant handling, except maybe appliance epoxy, which would have to be applied over a plastic primer.

Your other issue is matte paint, which will ALWAYS wear poorly compared to gloss, regardless of type of paint (powder coat being the exception but it isn't really paint anyway)

If you want to use paint, I'd top coat with a 2k clear coat. Automotive clears hold up better than most anything else, and Eastwood sells one in a can here http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-2k-aerospray-high-gloss-clear.html

I haven't used it so I can't speak directly to its efficacy, but it's a real catalyzed two part paint in a can. It's also one time use iirc so make sure you're ready to do all the parts when you start.

Dang 22 bucks is quite sum money. I will live without the painting :D

@olbaze It would be really hard to break stuff doing this :D You just have to take wire from one LED to another and it works. The issue is how to fit two LEDs in there.