Help me choose a graphics card for upgrade

Context: I have a 7 year old Alien Area 51 (I believe has PCIe 2.0 slots, they're green if that means anything) I bought used which according to dxdiag has a AMD Radeon 6800 Series with 4.5GB and I want to upgrade. I don't know how much power the gpu I have now uses, and don't know whether or not all these options would work with what kind of power supply I have (which I also don't know, I hope it says in the manual when I find it). So if someone knows how much power my current gpu takes it would be great to know.When PCIe 4.0 comes out (which I've heard will be 2017) I plan on building a new computer (because this one will be fairly old) and might end up using the card(s) I might get now with that build. The problem being some of these options require me to spend non Christmas money, something I currently don't have a lot of (meaning I don't really want to spend a lot). So these are my options and I'm looking for what you think will be the best plan in the long run.

I could not get a graphics card now and use the money on something else (like a new monitor because this monitor is also 7 years old), or I could get 2 GTX 960 cards with SLI bridge used bought in April (2 year warranty) for $380 meaning I spend my spending $115 of non Christmas money (it's possible that with my power suply I would only be able to use 1 for now, but have the other one for SLI in the new computer), or I could get a new Zotac GTX 960 AMP! at Best Buy for $320 and spend no non Christmas money (gift cards), or I could get a new GTX 970 from Best Buy for $430 and spend $90 of non Christmas money. If you have another idea for what I could do I have a $265 (can go over, but don't really want to) budget ($340 at Best Buy). 

Links to the graphics cards:

The used GTX 960s (exact site they got them from, exact card): https://otvtech.ca/catalogue?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_stock.tpl&product_id=23433&category_id=355

Best Buy AMP!: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/zotac-zotac-geforce-gtx-960-amp-edition-4gb-gddr5-pci-e-video-card-english-zt-90309-10m/10374333.aspx?path=a996d2d8e8390d433cf2f0d28bd9fe94en02

Best Buy 970: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/zotac-zotac-geforce-gtx-970-4gb-gddr5-pci-e-video-card-english-zt-90101-10p/10325625.aspx?path=340375bb28aa57ed5e43237c3f21e84ben02

Im not sure your powersupply can handle 2 gtx960's (and not all games support SLI at all) so i'd say get the gtx970 or get nothing at all and upgrade the whole pc when you have the money.

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

Keep on saving. Any moderately new graphics card/s will most likely be nerfed by your aging system. The best CPU 7 years ago was (I think) a Intel® Core™ i7-965 Extreme Edition

2.66 GHz which btw was released in November of that year. That's going to be a bottleneck for any decent GPU. If, however you can't wait I'd go with the GTX 970.

Keep on saving. Any moderately new graphics card/s will most likely be nerfed by your aging system. The best CPU 7 years ago was (I think) a Intel® Core™ i7-965 Extreme Edition

2.66 GHz which btw was released in November of that year. That's going to be a bottleneck for any decent GPU. If, however you can't wait I'd go with the GTX 970.

I have a core i7 960 (here) running 8 cores at 3.20 GHz (I was told that it was factory overclocked, but dxdiag is just showing 3.2 GHz) which is water cooled by a 120mm radiator. I also have 12GB of ram (3 * 4GB). When I bought it used from my piano teacher 4 years ago he said it was 3 years old and was like a $6700 computer or something ridiculous like that so I'm expecting it to have the best of the best in terms of the rest of the parts for that time.

Im not sure your powersupply can handle 2 gtx960's (and not all games support SLI at all) so i'd say get the gtx970 or get nothing at all and upgrade the whole pc when you have the money.

Well ya, I'm already planning to build a new computer in a couple years and yes my current computer will probably only be able to use one of the 960s, but I was thinking in the long run would it be worth getting them now, using one (which would still be an upgrade) in my current computer and then having both run SLI in the new one. Keep in mind, with the new computer build I'm probably not going much over $400 for the GPU anyways (although we'll see how much money I have in the future).