Gaming PC + NAS Build Log Parts List

LinusTech

Is there an alternative to unraid? I'd rather use a Free/free system.

A "Real NAS" will use less power and when I say less power I mean alot less.

Most NAS's you buy from the shop have very small CPU's that require alot less power to run.

Im not sure anyone can give you a number on power draw compared to a built NAS purely because there are more different types of NAS from different manufactures than I have fingers and toes. What I can tell you however is a custom built NAS will use more power "At least twice as much".

So the question you should be asking yourself is Do I want speed? or Do I want low power? You cant have both with prebuilt NAS unless you have a deep pocket. 

Ok, thanks for the answer.

I already got a Synology 213j but because I'm not using it that much I was thinking about replacing it with this unraid system. But I think I will keep the Synology NAS.

the fuck are you doing up at quarter to five in the morning, Linus? :P

And we could ask you the same question too :P

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Is there an alternative to unraid? I'd rather use a Free/free system.

The other one I know of is freenas but imho is a steaming pile of crap. Better to pay a once off fee and get a very good o/s with a community always happy to help.

Well think i'm going to do this swap out my 4770k for a xeon just need to know if sli works in this setup.

I've been doing essentially what's in this video, but with totally different software, for just over a year now...

HP Z800

(2) Xeon X5677

32GB DDR3

Radeon HD 6790

Radeon HD 7470

I use ESXi 6 for the hypervisor.  

I have a Windows 10 which serves as my 'gaming' VM (4 vCPU, 6GB RAM, Radeon 6970, 160GB vHDD (on an SSD datastore) and a pair of USB ports assigned to this VM).  The only game I play is Star Trek Online, and for this, it works quite well.

I have a WHS2010 which serves as my 'nas' VM (4 vCPU, 6GB RAM, ICH8R SAS/SATA, USB3 PCIe card , eSATA PCIe card, 160GB vHDD (on an SSD datastore), plus 3x1TB and 2x2TB HDD's assigned to this VM).  This VM uses StableBit's DrivePool to create what is essentially a JBOD array (I'm slowly migrating away from the 3.5" 1TB HDD's to 2.5" 2TB HDD's).  This VM hosts my Plex Media Server, Sonarr, and sabnzbd.

It's been running 24/7 since November of 2014 (save for any power outages, or times I've powered it down for hardware changes).  With AHCI enabled, I thankfully don't have to power down the entire system just to swap HDD's, and with DrivePool, I don't even have to manually move data off the storage pool just to increase capacity.  :)

The only software I purchased for this entire endeavor was DrivePool (at $30), and Windows, which I got for something like $30-$35 via a subscription to IEEE (it came with 4 Windows 8 product keys, which I've used to upgrade to Windows 10).  I'm using the free ESXi license and the "Tech Preview" embedded host client (web based UI) for the hypervisor (as I mentioned previously).  This way I'm not stuck with using the vSphere thick-client, though I do have it on my laptop, just in case I run into an issue with the embedded client.  :)

No, SLI doesn't work in such a setup.

Well think i'm going to do this swap out my 4770k for a xeon just need to know if sli works in this setup.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Silverstone TD02-E 92.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-DELUXE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($317.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($91.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V310 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($342.66 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card  ($549.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Silverstone Temjin SST-TJ04B-E (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($161.58 @ Amazon)
Other: SilverStone Technology 750W 80 Plus Platinum ($144.99)
Other: Seagate Enterprise 8 TB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive ST8000NM0055 ($540.47)
Total: $5124.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-28 12:08 EST-0500

This does not include the code of unraid or windows OS. I also had to add custom parts for the Seagate 8tb drives and the Silverstone 750w platinum PSU so the price may fluctuate a little. Additionally I could not find a price for the Hard drive cage that he used.

You can use http://amzn.com/B00GDBKMOY for the 5-in-3 hot-swap dock.  It's roughly $100.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Silverstone TD02-E 92.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-DELUXE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($317.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($91.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card  ($549.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Silverstone Temjin SST-TJ04B-E (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($161.58 @ Amazon)
Other: SilverStone Technology 750W 80 Plus Platinum ($144.99)
Total: $5124.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-28 12:08 EST-0500

This does not include the code of unraid or windows OS. I also had to add custom parts for the Seagate 8tb drives and the Silverstone 750w platinum PSU so the price may fluctuate a little. Additionally I could not find a price for the Hard drive cage that he used.

You can use http://amzn.com/B00GDBKMOY for the 5-in-3 hot-swap dock.  It's roughly $100.

Thanks, I saw that one posted a little higher up in the thread. I didn't really want to stray away from the hardware that was shown on the video. Speaking as someone who has no NAS experience I would have chucked all of the Seagate drives if we are going to start doing that. I would love to have someone explain to me why it is worth paying almost 3000 dollars for 40 TB of storage.

There isn't any reason some of the parts, like the hot-swap bay or the drives, couldn't be swapped out for cheaper / different manufacturer parts.  Linus used what he did because sponsors sent those parts to him.  

As to the amount of storage -- what he'll end up with will be closer to 30TB, because of the way his storage array was configured.  That said, the amount of storage "needed" is dictated by what you plan to do with it.  I currently have around 6TB, which holds the movies / TV shows I've decided to keep, and leaves me with a couple TB free, in case I ever expand (or use my storage pool for other purposes).  I generally don't keep TV show episodes after I've watched them, save for a few shows that I find I can re-watch, which allows me to keep my storage footprint fairly modest (compared to what some of these guys build).

Thanks, I saw that one posted a little higher up in the thread. I didn't really want to stray away from the hardware that was shown on the video. Speaking as someone who has no NAS experience I would have chucked all of the Seagate drives if we are going to start doing that. I would love to have someone explain to me why it is worth paying almost 3000 dollars for 40 TB of storage.

No, SLI doesn't work in such a setup.

well darn guess I will just have to keep with windows 10 and my raid 6 on the same computer don't want to give up my 2 980 ti. 

• 1 month later...

I took inspiration from Linus' video and decided to upgrade my unRAID server so I could run a Windows VM on it dedicated to my TV (Kodi with MPC-BE, EmulationStation etc)

I went for a Fractal Node 804 case (best case I've ever worked with!) with the following components (some salvaged from my previous builds)

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H mATX
CPU: Intel Skylake i5-6600K
RAM: 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX FURY DDR4 CL14, 2133MHz
GPU: KFA2 Nvidia GTX 660 2GB
HDD: 3x WD Red 3TB
SSD: 2x SanDisk Ultra II 480GB

Installation wasn't as smooth as Linus' build, but I got there in the end (namely, I needed virtio 0.1.109 drivers and the pci stubs trick didn't work for passing through a PCIe USB card, I had to do it manually in the XML)

In the end though, it works amazingly well. I even set up a VM for OS X to play with :D

• 1 month later...

Just wondering, what would be the lowest end version of this kind of build, for instance how small an ssd cache you could manage and the level of cpu (i5 6400),  or the graphics etc? 

• 1 month later...

I got a question and I'm not sure where to ask it, so I'll just throw it here:

Do storage drives have to be the same size? I imagine parity can't work on disks of different sizes, eh?

Also - can you later add disks to NAS? For instance, if I start with 2 disks and add 2 more later on when needed.

• 8 months later...

I realize this thread is old, but kaby lake isn't much different than skylake so what the hell.

I'm building an i7 7700k NAS + gaming rig/HTPC with a GTX 1080, 32gb RAM

I'm planning to use an ASROCK z270m ITX/ac  as well.

I plan to use butter FS or whatever the default unraid dealie is for four platter drives plus a 120gb NVME. I was thinking 60GB windows 10, 60gb cache for UNRAID (yes I know there is a data-loss risk). I mostly play games that aren't super CPU bound, no city skylines et al. I'm running up to 3 clients (including storing the games on the UNRAID NAS), just streaming media through SMB. If I run plex, it'll be on the windows side.

I have some questions:

1. will Netflix 4k BS arbitrary requirements work if only 2-3 physical cores dedicated to windows 10 via UNRAID?

2. What's the best way to setup the processor allocation? Will 3 HT physical cores (6 logical) do fine for gaming? Will 1 HT core (2 logical) serve files appropriately? Should I divide it up half and half? This video was very encouraging for a half/half approach (But my mobo wont OC so it's not the same).

3. Apart from the obvious data loss risk from lack of redundancy (once again, don't care), are there any issues with using the same NVMe to cache and run windows? Will that screw with the processor allocation because of the PCIE controller config? 

4. If I don't run a cache, will the m.2 work better if I just do a PCIe pass-through to the windows VM?