GTX 960 Performance Issues

Go to solution Solved by kfarris,

Did that ssd fix your problem? Please select best answer or simply update your thread saying that your problem has been resolved.

I recently bought the GTX 960 from MSI with 2 gb of vram. I played Team Fortress 2 and was only getting around 45 frames, but the Heaven 4.0 Benchmark runs fine. Games like minecraft are also suffering a huge performance loss with only 55 frames per second. What is the problem?

The problem is, I was getting higher frames before I put in the graphics card.

The rest of my system is: Asrock Z87 Extreme 4, 8gb of crucial ballistics ram, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue Drive, and a Corsair CX500M Power Supply.

The rest of my system is: Asrock Z87 Extreme 4, 8gb of crucial ballistics ram, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue Drive, and a Corsair CX500M Power Supply.

PSU likely unable to feed the GPU clean power. Either that or it's a defective card

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

PSU likely unable to feed the GPU clean power. Either that or it's a defective card

Thanks for the response, I am thinking of replacing this card with a Gigabyte GTX 960 4 Gb. If the problem continues I will look for a different power supply.

Thanks for the response, I am thinking of replacing this card with a Gigabyte GTX 960 4 Gb. If the problem continues I will look for a different power supply.

I'd start with the PSU. More likely culprit

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I'd start with the PSU. More likely culprit

Even if the power supply is the problem, I have seen PC builds with smaller power supplies and similar graphics cards that run fine.

How would I determine if my PSU is giving the GPU clean power or not? Should I try a different power supply?

Even if the power supply is the problem, I have seen PC builds with smaller power supplies and similar graphics cards that run fine.

CX are crap. People are simply ignorant

How would I determine if my PSU is giving the GPU clean power or not? Should I try a different power supply?

Yes. Swap out the PSU with another one

I recommend this EVGA PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438012

My Bro runs a 960 EVGA SC 2G edition card, with an A 10-6800k APU and 16 gig ram. (2x8gig sticks). With like 5 fans 3HDD and one ssd. He has not had any issues with power.. Funny thing this PSU supports crossfire/sli. Also, He uses the 500WAT PSU listed above. ^

(UPDATE: Kind of fixed grammar/punctuation.)

If the problem was the PSU, he would be having errors, not just running slow.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

If the problem was the PSU, he would be having errors, not just running slow.

Well maybe, I know with the Asrock motherboards if left to system to adjust voltage it will underclock the CPU if it detects insufficient power levels.. (such as GPU hogging it all...)

Thanks for the responses, I am going to play around a little bit with different power supplies and different graphics cards. My friend has an EVGA 960 4gb SSC so I can try that GPU and see whether it is a defected card or an insufficient power supply.

Checked temp and power limits in MSI afterburner? When I installed mine they were set to 60% and 60C and would go to a core clock of around 800mhz when those limits were reached

Is this the text below my post?

Checked temp and power limits in MSI afterburner? When I installed mine they were set to 60% and 60C and would go to a core clock of around 800mhz when those limits were reached

Oh... I have not tried that yet, thanks for the possible solution. I will try that and see if it works.

I tried this solution, and it didn't work. Frame rates stayed exactly the same with no increase in performance.

I tried this solution, and it didn't work. Frame rates stayed exactly the same with no increase in performance.

I have a friend with MSI GTX 960 4GB edition and it runs fine on a 450W Corsair psu, so there should be no problems with your 500W.

Open your Nvidia control panel, click configure surround, PhysX and under Physx settings select the drop down arrow and select your GPU instead of auto or CPU... hit apply and see if it fixes your issue..

Open your Nvidia control panel, click configure surround, PhysX and under Physx settings select the drop down arrow and select your GPU instead of auto or CPU... hit apply and see if it fixes your issue..

I tried what you said, it didn't seem to help my problem at all. I am going to try swapping it out with a different card and/or power supply and see if that helps.

An interesting thing happened. I tried swapping out the graphics card and found it wasn't the problem. I then swapped the power supple only to find that my hard drive had crashed.