Mayhems Pastel Coolant

Hi Guys,

So i'm a little concerned about my coolant just because I have seen some people including JayzTwoCents talking about the coolant being bad and messing up the blocks and also going a weird color, I have the Sunset Yellow Pastel coolant and have had it for about 4-5 months and my loops don't appear to have changed color yet.

Does this issue affect all people with this coolant or is it a metal issue within the loop, I don't know whether or not to change my coolant.

Thanks

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

This has always been an issue with Mayhem's Pastel coolants.

Most of the cases of it separating that I've heard of have been due to using tubing prone to plasticizer leaching or very hot loops.

Note that the hotter Titan X loop separated more for J2C.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I've always run X1 Clear (or UV) because I don't want to deal with stained carpet, tubing, or block clogging.  Doesn't really answer your question though :)

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I've always run X1 Clear (or UV) because I don't want to deal with stained carpet, tubing, or block clogging.  Doesn't really answer your question though :)

I might change the coolant then I don't want to have to deal with clogged loops only issue I have is the color I was considering changing to is red and I hear red coolant is bad for loops clogging as well is this true?

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

This has always been an issue with Mayhem's Pastel coolants.

Most of the cases of it separating that I've heard of have been due to using tubing prone to plasticizer leaching or very hot loops.

Note that the hotter Titan X loop separated more for J2C.

I run two titan x's on one of my loops as well but the CPU loops looks the same still the GPU loops does get warm though.

Custom PC:

If its fine, then I would not bother changing it out.

Jayz2cents had 3 titan x's on one loop, and it got pretty warm elevating the issue.

As far as I know it does not gunk up too much when it does change color, so if you notice it changing shades then change it out.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

If its fine, then I would not bother changing it out.

Jayz2cents had 3 titan x's on one loop, and it got pretty warm elevating the issue.

As far as I know it does not gunk up too much when it does change color, so if you notice it changing shades then change it out.

Reason i'm asking now is because i'm changing case and will probably be using new tubing so wanted to find out if I should change the coolant whilst I am swapping cases.

Custom PC:

All liquids that are coloured split, they all do it. Despite amazing claims to the contrary over the 8 years I have been watercooling this scandal happens with every single "magic" coloured liquid released. The reason is just simple chemistry, the colour particles are suspend in the water, they are not chemically attached in anyway they are simply suspended. So as a result those particles will slowly deposit in low flow areas, they will clump together and do all the nasty things that coat the insides of components are waterblocks. Its inevitable and beyond our current technology level to have coloured coolant for a PC that does not do this.

You are right to be concerned but Jayz2cents does already know this, he has frequented the sort of forums that have told him this and he's been replacing the contents of these loops multiple times the last year. It was his own choice to go for looks and very high maintenance. The issue I have with what he did with Skunkworks was he never pointed out in the beginning that this was guaranteed to happen, he didn't go over the history of coolants like that from thermochill and all the others that caked up peoples machines.

All liquids that are coloured split, they all do it. Despite amazing claims to the contrary over the 8 years I have been watercooling this scandal happens with every single "magic" coloured liquid released. The reason is just simple chemistry, the colour particles are suspend in the water, they are not chemically attached in anyway they are simply suspended. So as a result those particles will slowly deposit in low flow areas, they will clump together and do all the nasty things that coat the insides of components are waterblocks. Its inevitable and beyond our current technology level to have coloured coolant for a PC that does not do this.

You are right to be concerned but Jayz2cents does already know this, he has frequented the sort of forums that have told him this and he's been replacing the contents of these loops multiple times the last year. It was his own choice to go for looks and very high maintenance. The issue I have with what he did with Skunkworks was he never pointed out in the beginning that this was guaranteed to happen, he didn't go over the history of coolants like that from thermochill and all the others that caked up peoples machines.

So if I go blue or red X1 coolant the same thing will happen, I use to use colored tube and distilled water but it doesn't look so cool in the res

Custom PC:

At this point it's important to note that Mayhems pastel is particularly bad in this regard because it has very large particles suspended in the fluid to make it opaque.

It is also important to note that the dye does not usually block up radiators. It is usually plasticizer leaching from the tubing that is then dyed by the dye in the fluid.

Going with hard acrylic tubing, distilled water and a few drops of dye should not cause issues.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I had their pastel blueberry in a system for a year, recently drained it and it still looked good. Not as vibrant as it first was but still nice looking. Changed over to distilled with dye and saw a 5 degree temp drop.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

Hi guys,

So i'm currently using Mayhems Pastel Sunset Yellow coolant but after watching JayzTwoCents most recent video I am concerned my coolant is going to separate and go brown as I am using the exact same coolant he was using so my question is when I move my PC into my new case (Phantek Enthoo Primo Special Edition) should I change the coolant to Mayhems X1 Purple coolant and have a Yellow and Purple Theme.

Or is X1 as likely to gunk up as Mayhems Pastel coolant.

Any suggestions will be really helpful thanks :)

Custom PC:

I cant speak for X1, but I'm having a similar experience with my Pastel Red. On my 3rd refill in 10 months, the last time I completely stripped my loop apart and flushed with boiled distilled water. The previous time I used a Mayhems Blitz Pro cleaning kit.

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Hi guys,

So i'm currently using Mayhems Pastel Sunset Yellow coolant but after watching JayzTwoCents most recent video I am concerned my coolant is going to separate and go brown as I am using the exact same coolant he was using so my question is when I move my PC into my new case (Phantek Enthoo Primo Special Edition) should I change the coolant to Mayhems X1 Purple coolant and have a Yellow and Purple Theme.

Just do your homework on Pastel and X1, as opposed to watching a video of someone's experience. Pastel is an aqueous dispersion of nanoparticle aggregates, and as such is affected by surface charge and pH. X1 is a solution, and the solute will not randomly precipitate out of solution. Both coolants can easily last for years if you know what you are doing, but X1 and similar coolants are definitely more user friendly.

Edit: Typo corrected.

At this point it's important to note that Mayhems pastel is particularly bad in this regard because it has very large particles suspended in the fluid to make it opaque.

It is also important to note that the dye does not usually block up radiators. It is usually plasticizer leaching from the tubing that is then dyed by the dye in the fluid.

Going with hard acrylic tubing, distilled water and a few drops of dye should not cause issues.

I wouldn't call 35 nm hydrodynamic diameters as very large myself.

Hi guys,

I wouldn't suggest getting Mayhems Pastel. Just watch this video and you will know why.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

I wouldn't call 35 nm hydrodynamic diameters as very large myself.

Large in comparison to any other particle in the coolant (assuming the coolant has not contaminants) though, correct?

I wouldn't suggest getting Mayhems Pastel. Just watch this video and you will know why.

I already have the Mayhems Yellow Pastel I have had it for 5 months and I saw that video yesterday and now i'm concerned mine is going to go like that so was wondering if I should change to X1 or another brand that does transparent purple coolant when I move all my hardware to my new case. Any recommendations for purple coolant?

Custom PC:

Just do your homework on Pastel and X1, as opposed to watching a video of someone's experience. Pastel is an aqueous dispersion of nanoparticle aggregates, and as such is affected by surface charge and pH. X1 is a solution, and the solute will not randomly precipitate out of solution. Both coolants can easily last for years if you know what you are doing, but X1 and similar coolers are definitely more user friendly.

Guess I will jump on the X1 for my next flush then

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Large in comparison to any other particle in the coolant (assuming the coolant has not contaminants) though, correct?

It's apples vs oranges really since this is a two phase system (solid and liquid) vs coolants like Mayhems X1, EK Ekoolant Evo, Alphacool Kelvin Catcher etc which are single phase liquid solutions. Here the issue is that when there is a pH change such that the coolant pH is at/near the isoelectric point for the TiO2/ZnO2 nanoparticles in the Pastel coolant. Then there is no surface charge keeping these ~35nm aggregates stable, allowing them to aggregate further into larger particles and these crash out of the coolant and precipitate. These larger particles can now be in the micrometer size range, and are what people see. The color change(s) are a side effect of this wherein nanoparticle size affects the color spectrum absorbed, and accordingly reflected which is the color seen. So basically Pastel as-is is absolutely fine, and using it appropriately keeps it so. But it isn't as user friendly as single phase coolants with dissolved solutes, and that's where the issues pop up. Sorry for going on a tangent here :)

Can anyone who has successfully used pastel for long periods of time please chime in on the issue? I'd really like to hear what components & prep were done in systems where no issues have occurred. I've got 2L of pastel red on the way (no turning back now) & I'd like to do everything I can to make sure I don't run into issues (my loop will be particularly hard to break down).

Can anyone who has successfully used pastel for long periods of time please chime in on the issue? I'd really like to hear what components & prep were done in systems where no issues have occurred. I've got 2L of pastel red on the way (no turning back now) & I'd like to do everything I can to make sure I don't run into issues (my loop will be particularly hard to break down).

It seems to be coming up somewhat recently but in general  you shouldn't have problems as long as the PH in the loop doesn't change, most times where fluid degrades or changes it the PH changing that causes problem. I've personally run Pastel white for a good 5-6months without any issues but others have had problem not too long after unfortunately:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/498873-coolant-colour-faded-again/

I already have the Mayhems Yellow Pastel I have had it for 5 months and I saw that video yesterday and now i'm concerned mine is going to go like that so was wondering if I should change to X1 or another brand that does transparent purple coolant when I move all my hardware to my new case. Any recommendations for purple coolant?

For purple fluid Feser One and Mayhems X1 makes a UV purple, I would see what happens to your fluid in 12 months time if it doesn't change I don't think you have the issues Jay had in his loop.

I had their pastel blueberry in a system for a year, recently drained it and it still looked good. Not as vibrant as it first was but still nice looking. Changed over to distilled with dye and saw a 5 degree temp drop.

So in some ways the pastel fluid affects temps?

Custom PC:

Check for tube compatibility on their site i'm using XSPC clear flex tubing and mine still looks the same as when I put the yellow pastel coolant in but jayztwocents video has worried me that mine will go brown as well.

Custom PC: