1.5V Ram runing in 1.65V Dimms ?

Hey guys,

i have a little problem, I have a Asus R.O.G. Rampage IV Extreme and i want to buy Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum CMD16GX3M4A2133C9. On the Asus website I couldn't find something usefull. Can anyone help me with my decision ? Are the Dorminator the money worth ? or should i just buy "normal 1.65V ram @1600 ? I use my PC most for gaming and then for making vids (let's play and editing)

thx for ur help and sorry for my bad english

• CPU: Intel i7 4790K watercooled & custom IHS, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact, RAM: Kingston HyperX LP 1833, 2x8GB, GPU: Asus RTX 2070 watercooled

CasePhanteks Enthoo Evolv ITXStorage: 1x WD Black 4TB HDD, 2x WD Blue 1TB SSD in Raid 0, PSU: Seasonic 650w Gold, Cooling: all watercoold with 2x 240 slim Rads, 5 Lian-Li Unifans

Dominators look sweet, there's no denying that, so if you're bothered with asthetics then they might be worth spending a little more. In terms of clock speed, you will probably never notice a difference between 2133MHz and 1600MHz in normal use (gaming especially). As far as the voltage is concerned, I'm not entirely sure to be honest but I'd assume that they would work fine. Perhaps someone could correct me on that. Hope this helped.

P.S. I don't know if it was an accidental error but the memory modules themselves are DIMMs, the slots on the motherboard are DIMM slots.

Dominators look sweet, there's no denying that, so if you're bothered with asthetics then they might be worth spending a little more. In terms of clock speed, you will probably never notice a difference between 2133MHz and 1600MHz in normal use (gaming especially). As far as the voltage is concerned, I'm not entirely sure to be honest but I'd assume that they would work fine. Perhaps someone could correct me on that. Hope this helped.

P.S. I don't know if it was an accidental error but the memory modules themselves are DIMMs, the slots on the motherboard are DIMM slots.

thx for ur help, yes was an accident, should be DIMM ;-)
  • CPU: Intel i7 4790K watercooled & custom IHS, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact, RAM: Kingston HyperX LP 1833, 2x8GB, GPU: Asus RTX 2070 watercooled

CasePhanteks Enthoo Evolv ITXStorage: 1x WD Black 4TB HDD, 2x WD Blue 1TB SSD in Raid 0, PSU: Seasonic 650w Gold, Cooling: all watercoold with 2x 240 slim Rads, 5 Lian-Li Unifans

Current generation RAM has multiple different levels of voltages, but there are two more common voltages. There is 1.5v and 1.65v, memory rated to run at 1.65v is fine, but most of us prefer 1.5v as there is less voltage running to the RAM, which can prevent multitude of things from happening.

On ASUS's website, I am guessing that they are saying that the motherboard will accept RAM up to 1.65v and 1600MHz, but that doesn't mean you can't stick 1.5v RAM running at 2133MHz or any other speed. ASUS is saying that the motherboard will see RAM natively up to 1.65v and 1600MHz. I believe you will be 100% safe using 1.5v memory and it running at 2133MHz as RAM has something called a "XMP" profile that can be enabled in the BIOS that will set the RAM to its advertised speed and voltage if the motherboard doesn't already support it natively.

Current generation RAM has multiple different levels of voltages, but there are two more common voltages. There is 1.5v and 1.65v, memory rated to run at 1.65v is fine, but most of us prefer 1.5v as there is less voltage running to the RAM, which can prevent multitude of things from happening.

On ASUS's website, I am guessing that they are saying that the motherboard will accept RAM up to 1.65v and 1600MHz, but that doesn't mean you can't stick 1.5v RAM running at 2133MHz or any other speed. ASUS is saying that the motherboard will see RAM natively up to 1.65v and 1600MHz. I believe you will be 100% safe using 1.5v memory and it running at 2133MHz as RAM has something called a "XMP" profile that can be enabled in the BIOS that will set the RAM to its advertised speed and voltage if the motherboard doesn't already support it natively.

ty help me a lot :)