why is 4k so expensive

anton_ma_99

why is 4k so expensive when htc can do a 4.7" 1080 screen put 4 of them together and you have a 9.4" cheap 4k screen

i think they take so much money because they can, and i think its wrong

Because there are so many pixels crammed into that small of a screen.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

You obviously don't know how much it takes nor the costs of fitting all the pixels and tech in such a size...

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Because they aren't willing to sell it cheap? I don't know. It's not hard to make it, according to Linus.

Because they aren't willing to sell it cheap? I don't know. It's not hard to make it, according to Linus.

Granted, Linus isn't right about everything.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

why is 4k so expensive when htc can do a 4.7" 1080 screen put 4 of them together and you have a 9.4" cheap 4k screen

i think they take so much money because they can, and i think its wrong

you are correct. It's the power they have to force consumers to pay a hefty price for 'hottest' stuff.

thats why SSD is so expensive. you really think they are much more expensive to make than a harddrive? xD

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

you are correct. It's the power they have to force consumers to pay a hefty price for 'hottest' stuff.

thats why SSD is so expensive. you really think they are much more expensive to make than a harddrive? xD

Do you have anything to backup your statement?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

It's new? I believe that's how it works. Shit, I still remember when plasma TVs were like $5000+ for a 40" or something. They're like <$1000 now. They're not going to sell you new technology cheap. If you want it early, you have to pay the premium. Or you can wait because it'll obviously drop in time. They can't mass produce it as well as there's no real popularity of it right now. When they get the consumers, mass production of it will lower the costs. Let alone all the time and money given into research to make 4K screens. They need to make some money back for themselves. Let them have a vacation.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

Research and Development and the equipment, factory upgrades to build them, employee training costs a LOT of money.

Companies need to charge higher prices in the beginning to recover those costs.

Electronics, cars, boats....etc....are have to go through tests to make sure they won't burn down consumers homes

or injure them... Those tests and licenses to produce them can run into the millions of dollars.

These tests also have to be conducted for each country that you are going to sell the product in.

that process can take YEARS and if they fail the test, even more money has to be spent to fix the problem

and then they have to pay yet again to conduct the tests again.

Even that lowly mouse and keyboard on your desk has to go through tests which runs into thousands of dollars.

Producing a product for mass market isn't a simple task of just building it and shipping it to stores.

Even movie and videogame makers have to pay agencies to review their wares.. which again, costs a lot of money.

they need to earn the money back that they invested in the developing

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

Do you have anything to backup your statement?

no but how hard can it be an if its some controller or something make it with 4 dvi cables or somthing

Because there are so many pixels crammed into that small of a screen.

No offence, but that's bullsh*t! 1920x1200 in 7" costs 229 with processor, storage, etc. (yes, Nexus 7 2nd gen). They just want to make tons of money out of that!

EDIT: wrong quote

Well sharp is the primary maker of smaller panels for 4k and use IGZO panels which are pretty expensive themselves and also they have to pay off R&D. A AH-IPS panel in 1440p costs around $300 with nothing, but just the panel.

Well sharp is the primary maker of smaller panels for 4k and use IGZO panels which are pretty expensive themselves and also they have to pay off R&D.

For 4K it's pretty much this. They know they won't sell an absurd amount. But they will sale. And they will try and get all the costs back if they can.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

why don't just make them thick i wold not mind a 3" thick 4k monitor to fit all cooling and stuff if it was cheep

why don't just make them thick i wold not mind a 3" thick 4k monitor to fit all cooling and stuff if it was cheep

That is not what makes them more expensive and they are pretty thick anyways. It's the panel it self, R&D costs, new technology work around like setting up dual hdmi support, the screen size is 31.5in. Like I said in my previous it costs $300 for a high quality 1440p panel on a $600 monitor which is half the price. A 4k panel is probably a lot more.

no but how hard can it be an if its some controller or something make it with 4 dvi cables or somthing

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20093631-1/storage-talk-why-ssds-are-still-so-expensive/

The research and development in creating large volumes on such a small chip is phenomenal. and you are also paying for performance at the end of the day. 

CPU - i7 3820 @ 4.3GHZ GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 680 Windforce x3 Motherboard - Dell x79 who knows

RAM - 8GB Hyundai Electronics @ 1600MHz SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

PSU - Corsair AX860i CPU Cooler Asetek 510LC HDD - WD Black 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Manufacturers can make a 1080X1920 screen at 5" so why not a 4K monitor at 27". It makes no sense.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

mabey its expencive becus its a new technology 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

4k is essentially 1080p all over again. Remember how insanely expensive 1080p was when it first released? Give it a few years and well start seeing 4k 1ms 120hz + monitors for less than 1000$

The biggest issue is the strength of controllers, they're going to have to develop whole new generation of display controller that can drive that kind of resolution, something like that cost millions in r&D, not to mention an ENTIRELY reengineered fabrication process to get that many pixels in a such a small space.

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System