Mini PCI Express Wireless AC Card

Tyranade
Go to solution Solved by LAwLz,

Well is there any decent Killer Mini-PCI Express WiFi Cards out there?

Also another question. If the WiFi card has 3 antenna connectors and you only connect 2, will it still work?

I don't really have that much experience with mini PCIe NICs but from what I've seen, the Killer NICs (at least the desktop ones) are usually overpriced and doesn't really offer anything special. Intel has a lot of different models though and I've never had issues with Intel for networking stuff. Some wireless cards also supports things like Bluetooth which might be useful for you.

Just remember to make sure the card is half-height before you buy it.

Here is a card I found on Amazon which seems really good:

Intel Centrino 6235 (22 USD) - Supports 802.11n up to 300Mbps and Bluetooth 4.0. It also support things like Intel WiDi and vPro, and it's half height as far as I can tell. It has space for 2 antennas so you don't have to worry about it not working because of that.

About it not working if you only plug in 2 antennas into a card designed for 3. I am not 100% sure, but I don't really see why it wouldn't work. I mean, when you send and receive data over wireless then it's very common that not all antennas gets a clear signal. I am not confident enough to say "yes it will work" or "no it won't work" though. If it works then it will have quite a lot lower speeds though, and maybe worse signal strength as well.

Hey guys I am looking for a Mini PCI Express Wireless AC Card to replace the already included Mini PCI Express card on my Gigabyte Z87N-WiFI so I can upgrade the already included wireless. Problem is, I can't find any for sale in the UK using Google, so I was wondering if you guys could help me out, I would prefer one from Intel or Killer but I can't seem to find any, I'd consider buying any brand though I'd just prefer Intel or Killer. so yeah apparently my Google-Fu is pretty horrible today X_X.

So I would appreciate the help, a lot : ).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D | Cooler: NZXT Kraken 360 2023 Edition | Motherboard: Asus X670-P Wi-Fi |  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MT/s

GPU: XFX AMD Radeon 7800XT | PSU: NZXT C1000 | Storage: Corsair MP600 Core XT 2TB | Case: NZXT H7 Flow

CPU-Z Validation

There's one in the US Amazon. I tried finding something in the UK but no luck :/.

My build: i5 3570k , Sabertooth Z77, Be quiet Dark Rock 2, Corsair vengeance 16 gb ram, Corsair RM 750, WD Black 1TB , ADATA 256 GB SSD, Asus 660ti DCUII, NZXT H440, Noctua NF-F12 & NF-A14.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

ASUS perhaps?

It ain't cheap though

http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/PCEAC66

That's a PCI-E 1x card not an Mini-PCIE WiFi card, and anyway I did some Googling on that card a few days back and it's Incompatible with the Z87 Chipset, not to mention I am using my 1 PCI-E 16x slot on my Motherboard for a graphics card so unfortunately that card isn't an option.

This is a Mini-PCIE WiFi Card, It also has to be "half-height" as well. (Sorry for the huge image)

post-29713-0-45685200-1377808491.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D | Cooler: NZXT Kraken 360 2023 Edition | Motherboard: Asus X670-P Wi-Fi |  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MT/s

GPU: XFX AMD Radeon 7800XT | PSU: NZXT C1000 | Storage: Corsair MP600 Core XT 2TB | Case: NZXT H7 Flow

CPU-Z Validation

None yet exist as far as i know, you will have to wait until non draft AC comes around.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

The only one I know of is the Intel Network 7260.HMWG (33.28 USD on Amazon). The problem is that I have no idea if it's good or not. It's a very low end 802.11ac implementation (compared to what the draft specs allow) and it feels like the drivers are not really super great either (for example the comment says you need to download the drivers from Sager in order to get it to work).

The only one I know of is the Intel Network 7260.HMWG (33.28 USD on Amazon). The problem is that I have no idea if it's good or not. It's a very low end 802.11ac implementation (compared to what the draft specs allow) and it feels like the drivers are not really super great either (for example the comment says you need to download the drivers from Sager in order to get it to work).

Ah okay, thanks I didn't know that.

Also another question. If the WiFi card has 3 antenna connectors and you only connect 2, will it still work?

CPU-Z Validation

I don't really have that much experience with mini PCIe NICs but from what I've seen, the Killer NICs (at least the desktop ones) are usually overpriced and doesn't really offer anything special. Intel has a lot of different models though and I've never had issues with Intel for networking stuff. Some wireless cards also supports things like Bluetooth which might be useful for you.

Just remember to make sure the card is half-height before you buy it.

Here is a card I found on Amazon which seems really good:

Intel Centrino 6235 (22 USD) - Supports 802.11n up to 300Mbps and Bluetooth 4.0. It also support things like Intel WiDi and vPro, and it's half height as far as I can tell. It has space for 2 antennas so you don't have to worry about it not working because of that.

About it not working if you only plug in 2 antennas into a card designed for 3. I am not 100% sure, but I don't really see why it wouldn't work. I mean, when you send and receive data over wireless then it's very common that not all antennas gets a clear signal. I am not confident enough to say "yes it will work" or "no it won't work" though. If it works then it will have quite a lot lower speeds though, and maybe worse signal strength as well.