$10,000 Dream Setup Live Build

Thats not a part of a PC now huh

But they were a part of the $10,000 budget

Oopps had picked a wrong post to illustrate a point.  There were a few people saying "with a $10,000 budget I would have..."  My point was that he got a lot of things for his $10,000 not just the computer

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Far from a dream setup, no liquid cooling, mismatched GPUS.............

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

Far from a dream setup, no liquid cooling, mismatched GPUS.............

Why would he even want liquid cooling ? A xeon that can't(FSVO) be O/Ced such that even an evo 212 (OK wasn't used in the end) could cope with the heat load. 

Think of the added complexity, the greater chance of failure; so again why?

"This too shall pass"

Why would he even want liquid cooling ? A xeon that can't(FSVO) be O/Ced such that even an evo 212 (OK wasn't used in the end) could cope with the heat load. 

Think of the added complexity, the greater chance of failure; so again why?

It's supposed a dream setup, not a practical one.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

It's supposed a dream setup, not a practical one.

It is?

I must have completely the wrong idea, I thought it was for a content creation set-up hence the camera etc.

Oh and just as a complete aside I have never dreamed about having liquid cooling (never seen the point) so it certainly would have no part in a dream build for me.

"This too shall pass"

Just want to say I really enjoyed this format for a 'build log'. This is more realistic as when Linus runs into a problem it is not edited out, but we rather see what he does to overcome a certain problem. I feel like this makes you actually learn a lot more from a build log (Even if that is not their intended function)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I haven't watched the video, unfortunately I don't have time for it, but I'm interested, what wrong parts did they get? Except the GPU and cooler as I've seen in the comments.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I haven't watched the video, unfortunately I don't have time for it, but I'm interested, what wrong parts did they get? Except the GPU and cooler as I've seen in the comments.

That was it.  The EVO is more than enough though.  With the Noctua fan it is quiet as well.

this really is quite an upsetting build to look at, i get that LG screwed up the order but i think quite a bit more could have been done with the money, i took the 5500$ budget the winner spent on this computer and designed my alternative on pcpartpicker (yes, i know i am using the UK site and yes, i used the current exchange rate)

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/mHZnP6

This build features 2x WD black 6TB HDD, this will be used for RAID 1 storage to add security for things like archival storage without a NAS and i chose this because it is clear the user is going to be doing either photo or video editing and it is generally good practise to keep data safe once it has been used for the current project, on top of this, i have the 120GB SSD that will contain the OS and the OS only and a 2TB SSD for current projects that the user will be working along, along with any games that the user feels that he would like to play.

I also opted to go for the more silent option, i feel that due to the user doing things like photo and video editing, noise could impact their video quality, due to this, i went for the silent base 800, the powerzone 1000w 80+ bronze power supply, the dark rock PRO 3 CPU cooler and i also chose enough silent wings fans from be quiet to fully fill this build in order to dissipate all the heat from the GPU's ACX 2.0 coolers.

I also added an optical DVD drive for situations in which the user may want to keep a physical copy of their data as well as adding an SD card reader for situations in which the user needs to get data from their camera and do not want the hassle of finding a USB connected variant, this will fit in the 5.25" drive due to a 3.5" -> 5.25" drive adaptor i found on amazon. I also added a fan controller... but we all know what they do.

The build comes to a grand total of £3698.93 or $5495.26 and i believe that this is a far superior system.

this really is quite an upsetting build to look at, i get that LG screwed up the order but i think quite a bit more could have been done with the money, i took the 5500$ budget the winner spent on this computer and designed my alternative on pcpartpicker (yes, i know i am using the UK site and yes, i used the current exchange rate)

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/mHZnP6

This build features 2x WD black 6TB HDD, this will be used for RAID 1 storage to add security for things like archival storage without a NAS and i chose this because it is clear the user is going to be doing either photo or video editing and it is generally good practise to keep data safe once it has been used for the current project, on top of this, i have the 120GB SSD that will contain the OS and the OS only and a 2TB SSD for current projects that the user will be working along, along with any games that the user feels that he would like to play.

I also opted to go for the more silent option, i feel that due to the user doing things like photo and video editing, noise could impact their video quality, due to this, i went for the silent base 800, the powerzone 1000w 80+ bronze power supply, the dark rock PRO 3 CPU cooler and i also chose enough silent wings fans from be quiet to fully fill this build in order to dissipate all the heat from the GPU's ACX 2.0 coolers.

I also added an optical DVD drive for situations in which the user may want to keep a physical copy of their data as well as adding an SD card reader for situations in which the user needs to get data from their camera and do not want the hassle of finding a USB connected variant, this will fit in the 5.25" drive due to a 3.5" -> 5.25" drive adaptor i found on amazon. I also added a fan controller... but we all know what they do.

The build comes to a grand total of £3698.93 or $5495.26 and i believe that this is a far superior system.

That is an opinion.  :D

That is an opinion.  :D

yeah it is, although i also think its superior because of how many extra features it has such as DVD/CD re-write and a SD card reader, i mean its an opinion sure, but if it will work better for the person, wouldnt that make it superior in general

yeah it is, although i also think its superior because of how many extra features it has such as DVD/CD re-write and a SD card reader, i mean its an opinion sure, but if it will work better for the person, wouldnt that make it superior in general

That depends on what the PC is for.  That 12-core Xeon will smoke the 5820K for workstation type applications... and it will run games just fine.

I still would have gone 3 way GTX 480 SLI plus FX-9590. And it would be a full SSD build, to hell with mechanical drives.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz 8-Core OEM/Tray Processor ($201.99 @ NCIX US)

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake CL-P0503 18.6 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($6.99 @ Micro Center)

Thermal Compound: Prolimatech PK-Zero 600g Thermal Paste ($108.97 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($214.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-3100 Memory ($1303.98 @ Newegg)

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Adorama)

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Adorama)

Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($699.00 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($699.00 @ Amazon)

Case: Thermaltake Level 10 Titanium ATX Full Tower Case ($1109.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Raidmax 1200W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($162.98 @ Newegg)

Software: Nero 2016 Classic ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Keyboard: Logitech MX 5500 Revolution Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Laser Mouse ($674.99 @ Amazon)

Mouse: Logitech TrackMan Wireless Trackball ($499.99 @ Amazon)

Headphones: Sennheiser HD800 Headphones ($1599.95 @ Amazon)

Other: Vista Ultimate ($118.99)

Total: $9560.71

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-22 23:12 EST-0500

You forgot windows me, a 760g motherboard and the logysis psu.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

That depends on what the PC is for.  That 12-core Xeon will smoke the 5820K for workstation type applications... and it will run games just fine.

meh, ive not much experience with workstations, if thats the case, just change the CPU, im sure the price cant be too different

meh, ive not much experience with workstations, if thats the case, just change the CPU, im sure the price cant be too different

ill take it back, the xeon is (although more efficient for a workstation) far too expensive to justify, even in a dream setup

Would anyone mind explaining why Linus went with WD reds instead of WD blacks?

Thanks!

Thanks!

It's for storage, so no need for them to spin constantly at 7200rpm while idle. Besides the speed of wd black is slightly faster than red, but it's not blazing fast. There is also wd red pro, that runs a 7200rpm.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

The point where he sees the mismatched GPU is 37:14

Thanks!

He explains that since the mechanical drives are to be used as storage and in a system that's connected to a network it IS a NAS so he will use NAS type drives

"This too shall pass"

Just LOL - Luke complains for like months about SLI not working for him and you put two 980TI instead of titan in $10K Dream Build. Not cool linus, not cool :P

Dude, did you not hear that Ryland, the winner, wanted Titan Xs, but Linus (smartly enough) told him that same if not BETTER performance would come out of two 980Ti's. Besides, the extra 6GB would be worthless by the time we get around to actually USING them.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID | 32GB DDR4-3600

Someone seemed grumpy during the build.  Xeon,  no thanks, quite the anti climactic component list for the budget however I do understand the other peripheral component parts provided to make up the budget.  Rylan must have been a young kid with no push back lol :P

***EDIT*** The further I got into this video the more I would expect you to apologize for the shitty attitude towards this build for this individual receiving the machine.  I'd take the video down, it was embarassing to watch.

Dude, did you not hear that Ryland, the winner, wanted Titan Xs, but Linus (smartly enough) told him that same if not BETTER performance would come out of two 980Ti's. Besides, the extra 6GB would be worthless by the time we get around to actually USING them.

I did, but the point is the problems with SLI. I thought he wanted one Titan X instead of two.

Luke and Nick also laughed about that in the last "year recap" wan show.

• 1 month later...

Linus can i give you a budget and you build me an amazing pc??? it would be amazing and ill even give you a bit more for an autograph :D ty :P