$10,000 Dream Setup Live Build

I still would have gone 3 way GTX 480 SLI plus FX-9590. And it would be a full SSD build, to hell with mechanical drives.

CPU: AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz 8-Core OEM/Tray Processor  ($201.99 @ NCIX US) 
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake CL-P0503 18.6 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler  ($6.99 @ Micro Center) 
Thermal Compound: Prolimatech PK-Zero 600g Thermal Paste  ($108.97 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($214.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB Video Card (3-Way SLI)  ($699.00 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB Video Card (3-Way SLI)  ($699.00 @ Amazon) 
Software: Nero 2016 Classic  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Mouse: Logitech TrackMan Wireless Trackball  ($499.99 @ Amazon) 
Headphones: Sennheiser HD800 Headphones  ($1599.95 @ Amazon) 
Other: Vista Ultimate ($118.99)
Total: $9560.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-22 23:12 EST-0500

If someone were actually taking this seriously... As a competition to boost their content creation careers... Spending all the money on the computer alone would be incredibly stupid. The cameras, sound equipment, editing software, and other needed accessories can easily eat up more than double the amount given, WITHOUT including a computer. This is a pretty great contest for delivering some talent a starting point. As for this build (the computer specifically,) I think it was all pretty appropriate for someone who plans to be doing a lot of video editing. It is powerful enough to handle rendering, has enough storage to last plenty of time while saving funds to buy a proper NAS, and cheap enough to save the bulk of the budget to spend on the other equipment.

I was surprised by the other things that Linus said were purchased, and think Ryland missed out on a massive opportunity to buy at least A camera. I also would not have bothered buying such an expensive laptop, seeing as how this rig is the one he should be doing all the rendering on. It seems almost like he just picked that because... Well, because having one would be cool. lol. I would have picked up one of the cameras that Brandon reviewed (Sony a7S ii) some sound equipment, and a MUCH cheaper laptop for doing things on the go. Still... At least he didn't spend a bunch of cash on Apple Watches, like the winner from one of the other channels did, and it does look like he already has access to some pretty good recording gear. I just wonder if it is owned by that youth-center he filmed at, or someone he can rely on after he is an adult... I am guessing it isn't his, because his channel has a whole 7 videos, with only one not being related to this contest.

~Cynical~

Am I the only one here who couldn't justify spending more than $3500 on the rig alone?

No. I can't either, spending more than that is just for enthusiasts.

I wouldn't even know how to begin trying to justify 3.5k on a pc to the Mrs. 

pretty sure id get this sort of response. 

bitch-you-crazy.jpg

Cpu : AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (3.8Ghz), Motherboard : Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM : 8GB DDR4 2933 Team (Vulkan) memory, GPU : MSI GTX 980 4GB Case : Antec P50, Storage : 120GB Samsung SSD, 3TB WD Blue, PSU : 530w Thermaltake SPS-530MPC, Cooling : Artic freezer Pro 7, OS : Windows 10. 

"Funny Story: I have actually never mounted a Hyper 212 evo" whaaaaaaaaaaat???

7dd6e96e6508fb43b1564d8a9964c19d7bf1eba0

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

I still would have gone 3 way GTX 480 SLI plus FX-9590. And it would be a full SSD build, to hell with mechanical drives.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz 8-Core OEM/Tray Processor ($201.99 @ NCIX US)

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake CL-P0503 18.6 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($6.99 @ Micro Center)

Thermal Compound: Prolimatech PK-Zero 600g Thermal Paste ($108.97 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($214.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-3100 Memory ($1303.98 @ Newegg)

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Adorama)

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Adorama)

Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($699.00 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($699.00 @ Amazon)

Case: Thermaltake Level 10 Titanium ATX Full Tower Case ($1109.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Raidmax 1200W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($162.98 @ Newegg)

Software: Nero 2016 Classic ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Keyboard: Logitech MX 5500 Revolution Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Laser Mouse ($674.99 @ Amazon)

Mouse: Logitech TrackMan Wireless Trackball ($499.99 @ Amazon)

Headphones: Sennheiser HD800 Headphones ($1599.95 @ Amazon)

Other: Vista Ultimate ($118.99)

Total: $9560.71

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-22 23:12 EST-0500

Why the hell GTX 480 and Win Vista?????

Am I the only one here who couldn't justify spending more than $3500 on the rig alone?

I can't force myself to go larger than mATX. My dream build came out to five grand.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Why the hell GTX 480 and Win Vista?????

Is that the only thing you see wrong with it?

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

If someone were actually taking this seriously... As a competition to boost their content creation careers... Spending all the money on the computer alone would be incredibly stupid. The cameras, sound equipment, editing software, and other needed accessories can easily eat up more than double the amount given, WITHOUT including a computer. This is a pretty great contest for delivering some talent a starting point. As for this build (the computer specifically,) I think it was all pretty appropriate for someone who plans to be doing a lot of video editing. It is powerful enough to handle rendering, has enough storage to last plenty of time while saving funds to buy a proper NAS, and cheap enough to save the bulk of the budget to spend on the other equipment.

I was surprised by the other things that Linus said were purchased, and think Ryland missed out on a massive opportunity to buy at least A camera. I also would not have bothered buying such an expensive laptop, seeing as how this rig is the one he should be doing all the rendering on. It seems almost like he just picked that because... Well, because having one would be cool. lol. I would have picked up one of the cameras that Brandon reviewed (Sony a7S ii) some sound equipment, and a MUCH cheaper laptop for doing things on the go. Still... At least he didn't spend a bunch of cash on Apple Watches, like the winner from one of the other channels did, and it does look like he already has access to some pretty good recording gear. I just wonder if it is owned by that youth-center he filmed at, or someone he can rely on after he is an adult... I am guessing it isn't his, because his channel has a whole 7 videos, with only one not being related to this contest.

He bought a camera.

Thermal Compound: Prolimatech PK-Zero 600g Thermal Paste  ($108.97 @ Amazon) 

600g thermal paste ... so you can repaste every other day for years :D

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Did he maid a 'zig heil' sign at the very end of the video?..

I think that was a combination of waving goodbye and not knowing what to do, it can become quickly pretty fast.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Ok I think I'm completely blind or some stuff because I can't see the part list anywhere, I'm about to buy a Corsair H110i  and I want to change the very stupidly loud fans for those noctua he used on the build

Is that the only thing you see wrong with it?

Why so much SSDs and why this stupid mouse for 500 bucks?

I think you don't have any idea who to build a nice and fast computer...

Tipp: if you have a amd processor use amd graphics cards!!!

Hate to be one of those but.

10k budget, ok its not all for the PC, a good camera, and laptop can take a sizable portion of that BUT...

A better colour scheme match should have been done.

Ok so the mismatched GPU's were a mistake, but the stock SLI bridge , really ?

The CPU cooler, ok the Xeon does not need uber cooling, but the 212 Evo (even if it was a mistake) as good for its cost as it is, isn't 'quality'. Really should have of got a Noctua or a AIO.

Some custom sleeved cables in the correct colour scheme should have been used.

That case, no side window, and for a similar price u coulda got something like the NZXT H440.

And tbh I would have gone Triple SLI with that budget. 3 980ti's. OR 2 but with a custom water loop.

I think it would have been a good idea to list in the description what else the 10k was spent on because ur gunna get a lot of people saying similar things about this 'Dream Build' when u stick $10k in the title.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Hate to be one of those but.

10k budget, ok its not all for the PC, a good camera, and laptop can take a sizable portion of that BUT...

A better colour scheme match should have been done.

Ok so the mismatched GPU's were a mistake, but the stock SLI bridge , really ?

The CPU cooler, ok the Xeon does not need uber cooling, but the 212 Evo (even if it was a mistake) as good for its cost as it is, isn't 'quality'. Really should have of got a Noctua or a AIO.

Some custom sleeved cables in the correct colour scheme should have been used.

That case, no side window, and for a similar price u coulda got something like the NZXT H440.

And tbh I would have gone Triple SLI with that budget. 3 980ti's. OR 2 but with a custom water loop.

I think it would have been a good idea to list in the description what else the 10k was spent on because ur gunna get a lot of people saying similar things about this 'Dream Build' when u stick $10k in the title.

That is your meaning. if a PC has to work good the colours doesn't matter.

Why do you need water cooling if the system works good without. Why do you need a graphics card more when your system is already running fine and fast enough?

It is a custom build and if the customer doesn't want anything else, you don't do anything else.

Do you sell things to customers?

I do (Software) and it is the biggest mistake to give more if no more is wanted...

You must have missed the bit were \linus said he had also got a laptop a camera a...

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Just LOL - Luke complains for like months about SLI not working for him and you put two 980TI instead of titan in $10K Dream Build. Not cool linus, not cool :P

Holy crap, I actually built my BOINC machine that is almost the same to this a few months ago (case, X99 mobo, exact CPU, and EVGA GPUs with minor mismatch LOL)!

Specs for those who are interested:

Case: Fractal Define R5 White with Window
Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme6
CPU: Xeon E5-2690 v3 12 cores @ 2.8 GHz
CPU fan: PHANTEKS PH-TC14PE_BL 140 mm
RAM: GSkill 4 GB x 4
Drive: Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB
GPU 1: EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 SC
GPU 2: EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 FTW
Power: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2

post-45608-0-41368500-1450883111_thumb.j

Main || Alienware 18 | Win 8.1 Pro w MC | i7-4930MX | 32 GB RAM | GTX 780M SLI | Samsung 850 EVO mSATA 500 GB | 850 EVO 1 TB

BOINC || Win 10 Pro | Xeon E5-2690 v3 @ 2800 GHz | ASRock X99 Extreme 6 | 16 GB DDR4 | GTX 980 SLI | Samsung 850 PRO 250 GB

File || Win 8.1 Pro | i3-4330 | 8 GB RAM | MSI Z87M-G43 | Intel 530 180 GB | WD Black 750 GB | Seagate NAS 4 TB x2