Are motherboard boxes supposed to be sealed?

Alir

Are MSI motherboard retail boxes supposed to be sealed from the outside? I have purchased 3 MSI Z97 GD65 motherboards from Amazon. All 3 have not been sealed, even after my complaining.

So my question is: is this normal?

I would like to note that the antistatic bag around the motherboard does have a seal/tape on it. But shouldn't the box also?

Are MSI motherboard retail boxes supposed to be sealed from the outside? I have purchased 3 MSI Z97 GD65 motherboards from Amazon. All 3 have not been sealed, even after my complaining.

I would like to note that the antistatic bag around the motherboard does have a seal/tape on it. But shouldn't the box also?

Mine didn't iirc. Just a flap way of locking the box closed, open it up, sealed anti-stati bag.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Mine didn't iirc. Just a flap way of locking the box closed, open it up, sealed anti-stati bag.

Were you okay with that or were you concerned about someone taking important stuff out of there or otherwise tampering with the mobo or accessories?

Where did you buy it from? I bought mine directly from Amazon

None of my motherboard have been sealed.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

The generally are not sealed beyond a peice of adhesive. Also a lot of retailers now inspect for bent pins, some even go as far as having a customer sign their receipt if purchasing in store after seeing that the pins are in good condition.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

in my ~7y of working is as reseller I never saw a mobo box to be factory sealed

what is sealed, depends on the manufacturer, the bag the mobo itself is packaged in

Motherboards are not sealed with any plastic wrap of any kind.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

The generally are not sealed beyond a peice of adhesive. Also a lot of retailers now inspect for bent pins, some even go as far as having a customer sign their receipt if purchasing in store after seeing that the pins are in good condition.

Do you mean the motherboard was sealed or the box itself?

Also, I think that's actually a great thing (looking for bent pins). But unfortunately I highly doubt Amazon do that.

So I guess I'm safe then if the box itself isn't sealed?  I'd actually expected motherboard manufacturers would seal the box and check for bent pins themselves.

Do you mean the motherboard was sealed or the box itself?

Generally both the box and the anti static bag will have a sticker or strip of tape keeping it closed. If that's been broken then you know someone has had it open before.

Otherwise I've never seen a box sealed in plastic.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Generally both the box and the anti static bag will have a sticker or strip of tape keeping it closed. If that's been broken then you know someone has had it open before.

Otherwise I've never seen a box sealed in plastic.

But everyone seems to be saying it's normal for retail boxes to not be sealed with tape?

But everyone seems to be saying it's normal for retail boxes to not be sealed with tape?

Probably changes location to location.

Were you okay with that or were you concerned about someone taking important stuff out of there or otherwise tampering with the mobo or accessories?

Where did you buy it from? I bought mine directly from Amazon

I bought mine straight from amazon too. I don't know why you're so picky about the box. Everything arrived in the box, all connectors, manuals guides, bags, everything was operational.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

I bought mine straight from amazon too. I don't know why you're so picky about the box. Everything arrived in the box, all connectors, manuals guides, bags, everything was operational.

haha. I was wondering whether I was going over the top here.

The issue is I expect items, especially parts for computers to be factory sealed. It's the only way I can be sure that everything that is supposed to be in there is in there.

Also it's the only way I can be sure that Amazon do not sell used products as new.

They do that sometimes, gets really annoying

Also it's the only way I can be sure that Amazon do not sell used products as new.

They do that sometimes, gets really annoying

Like selling the three opened used boxes as new that you sent back? Lol... sorry. Reminds me of my sister, I think she got banned from the home shopping network for sending so much crap back. All kidding aside its your money and stuff is expensive, I understand. Probably would have been a good idea to ask the first time you received one though if you had any doubts.

Like selling the three opened used boxes as new that you sent back? Lol... sorry. Reminds me of my sister, I think she got banned from the home shopping network for sending so much crap back. All kidding aside its your money and stuff is expensive, I understand. Probably would have been a good idea to ask the first time you received one though if you had any doubts.

Precisely. haha

Though I wouldn't have had to send them back were they factory sealed. If someone else has opened something and sent it back, I'd expect them to re-check everything is inside, check the mobo works (unless that isn't a standard practice by sellers, though it should be) and then re-seal it.

The problem is Amazon don't do that kind of stuff.

I guess it's a con of being such a large company that they become greedy and don't want to pay people to do this stuff. Would explain why they pay none/hardly any taxes. lol