Personal Rig Update 2015 Part 3

Pretty pimpin' case.

Hello.
My rig;
CPU: i5 4690K @ 3.7GhzRAM: HyperX Fury 8GB vengeance @ 1600MhzGPU: MSI R9 270 2GB, MOBO: MSI Z-97 SLI, PSU: Corsair 750M semi-modular 

Nice lol

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios Gundam Edition Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 850P

That thing is worth more than my mortgage ... 

Magical Pineapples

Poor Linus, standing on a box... Great case though.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

OK, now I don't really mean to be rude; but Linus.

What the hell were you thinking with that airbrushed lightning. This isn't a chopper's gas tank from 2003.

Throughout the video I was expecting Linus to mention the front and say that he was trolling us only to proceed to peel off the front and reveal some bitchin' LTT artwork or just a clean black finish. Needless to say I was dissappointed, what gives with that Linus? It reminds me of the cover of Ride the Lightning from Metallica.

Throughout the video I was expecting Linus to mention the front and say that he was trolling us only to proceed to peel off the front and reveal some bitchin' LTT artwork or just a clean black finish. Needless to say I was dissappointed, what gives with that Linus? It reminds me of the cover of Ride the Lightning from Metallica.

It's his case. If blue lightning is his thing, then who are we to say he can't have it on his own computer?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

It's his case. If blue lightning is his thing, then who are we to say he can't have it on his own computer?

I'm pretty sure he didn't say Linus was forbidden to use lightening on his case. I believe he was expressing his personal preferences. I also agree the lightening is pretty lame and everyones 90% of the comments on here,youtube,vessel wouldn't be so negative if it was simply a black faced pc.

lightning-strike_o_256629.jpg

I'm more curious as to how the water cooling will perform given the design video showed it sandwiching radiators together. He'd get much better cooling if he used an external radiator setup -- in essence designing another chassis to hold the radiators, pump, and reservoir, and using bulkhead fittings to pass the coolant to the CPU and graphics cards.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

So am I the only one who kinda likes the lightning? >.>

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

So how much did a case like this one cost? I know that if I went and asked for a custom case it would be a different price, but I would like to get a feel for what price range something like this would cost.

So how much did a case like this one cost? I know that if I went and asked for a custom case it would be a different price, but I would like to get a feel for what price range something like this would cost.

Probably best just to mod a premade rackmount chassis.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

A bare enclosure from 45 Drives (a division of Protocase) starts at $725 USD: http://www.45drives.com/products/storage/enclosure-30drive.php?id=Enc60&config=01&model=Enc30-01&code=Enc

Since Taran's model was in SketchUp, an engineer would've spent several hours converting the design to SolidWorks. Plus, with small run manufacturing like this much of the cost is in programming and setting up the machines.

So my estimate is around $3000 for the two cases.

A bare enclosure from 45 Drives (a division of Protocase) starts at $725 USD: http://www.45drives.com/products/storage/enclosure-30drive.php?id=Enc60&config=01&model=Enc30-01&code=Enc

Since Taran's model was in SketchUp, an engineer would've spent several hours converting the design to SolidWorks. Plus, with small run manufacturing like this much of the cost is in programming and setting up the machines.

So my estimate is around $3000 for the two cases.

When I had Protocase cut a custom 2U rackmount chassis for a project I worked some time ago, the quote was about 330 USD. Mind you this is a standard 2U model from Protocase Designer with cuts made in it for fans and a power supply. I didn't go anywhere near as custom as Linus's design. For another project, I may turn to Protocase again for another custom chassis or panel. I'm not sure yet, as that'll depend on the requirements when I have everything fairly well set as to how I want to do this. But they're a great company to work with if you can afford their pricing for a custom job -- expensive, but depending on what you're trying to do, it could be worth it in the end. Bulk pricing might also be more cost effective, so two chassis of the same design will probably have a less per-unit cost.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

When I had Protocase cut a custom 2U rackmount chassis for a project I worked some time ago, the quote was about 330 USD. Mind you this is a standard 2U model from Protocase Designer with cuts made in it for fans and a power supply. I didn't go anywhere near as custom as Linus's design. For another project, I may turn to Protocase again for another custom chassis or panel. I'm not sure yet, as that'll depend on the requirements when I have everything fairly well set as to how I want to do this. But they're a great company to work with if you can afford their pricing for a custom job -- expensive, but depending on what you're trying to do, it could be worth it in the end. Bulk pricing might also be more cost effective, so two chassis of the same design will probably have a less per-unit cost.

That is awesome information and a decent price for a case that is customized. When I go to upgrade I will definitely try them out. Thanks for sharing.

I remember Linus mentioning in the CAD video for the case that he designed 2 cases, 1 for him and 1 for his wife, to be mounted to his home server rack. If that is the case, how is he going to get 4K and remote KVM? is he going to use some expensive Ethernet to DVI/USB? or could the same be achieved via wireless. I am wondering as I want to put my PC on display (possibly in another room) away from my desk due to fan noise. 

I remember Linus mentioning in the CAD video for the case that he designed 2 cases, 1 for him and 1 for his wife, to be mounted to his home server rack. If that is the case, how is he going to get 4K and remote KVM? is he going to use some expensive Ethernet to DVI/USB? or could the same be achieved via wireless. I am wondering as I want to put my PC on display (possibly in another room) away from my desk due to fan noise. 

Hey Matthew, he said (I think in part one) he will use one of these Corning Cables https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmxAcVvAO40

• 1 year later...

Is there perhaps the file for this design at all that was given to Protocase? I'm considering doing something very very similar to this and I'd like to possibly ask them to make one identical to this.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it, and upon inspection it is almost perfect. I would need to make sure there's a spot for a regular hard drive as well, but I may ignore that and buy a massive SATA 3 SSD for my personal files (all apps already run on a M.2 SSD). The link to the Linus case is: http://www.protocase.com/about/spotlight/linustech/

bump

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

On 3/12/2017 at 6:52 AM, CaptainMike47 said:

Is there perhaps the file for this design at all that was given to Protocase? I'm considering doing something very very similar to this and I'd like to possibly ask them to make one identical to this.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it, and upon inspection it is almost perfect. I would need to make sure there's a spot for a regular hard drive as well, but I may ignore that and buy a massive SATA 3 SSD for my personal files (all apps already run on a M.2 SSD). The link to the Linus case is: http://www.protocase.com/about/spotlight/linustech/

Glad you found it! If you have any questions or need anything clarified by our team, let us know here by messaging us - or just email info@protocase.com. :)