Mahogany Desk, Build of the Year 2018

Koverhar

Hello dear readers,

First off I failed and posted this on the wrong forum thread. Im sorry linus!

This build has been on sweclockers.com a while but I felt like I had to reach a bigger audience so here goes. 

A bit over a year ago I started with my first major modding/custom project. The idea here is to make a seriously hardcore hardwood and steel computertable which looks effortless yet elegant. You'll be the judge of the result but let's get started shall we.

Parts:

CPU:    I7-5960x

GPU's: 3xgtx something (depending on what I can get my hands on when I install the parts)

MoBo:  Rampage 5 extreme

RAM: Dominator platinum 32 gb

PSU: Corsair ax1500i

Storage: 16 TB hdd space with 5 ssd. 1 with os and 4 in raid 1.

Watercooling:

Dual loops

Radiators: 2x monstah 560 superthick rads, 1x alphacool 360 60mm thick rad, 1x 140mm 60 mm thick rad All in push pull.

Pumps: 2x d5 vario with ek clear plexi top. Pvm controlled.

Reservoir: Custom dual loop

Fittings: too many to count (might do a list later)

Tubing: Ionized copper and hardbent acrylic tubing.

Extras: 6 temp meters loop flow indicators etc.

Fans: 24 Noiseblocker pk2s.

Fan controller: Lamptron fc something with them circuit bords to connect 1 radiator per knob + 1 knob for each waterpump.

Frame and build:

20mm thick quadratic steel with 3 mm plate steel. 

Wood is a mixture of birch and mahogany.

Sponsors:

None so far.  :D

Started off welding a basic frame to get ideas flowing. 

5WSDNID.jpg

Radiator "space"

lvVYDEh.jpg

First order arriving

qklWPuF.jpg

One of the monstah 560 radiators with the fans on it

7BIzYzf.jpg

looking at this drawing it might be hard to believe were gonna get anywhere with this build but its fiiiine:D

eS4nU4G.jpg

after some word welding and sheet metal work I ended up here. With a place for my legs and the mounts for the side 360 rads (60mm thick)

UKIGtMk.jpg

From another angle.

GkWKrdl.jpg

Center console with gauges for temp meters and pumps. Will probably get this covered with leather or wood as well

ELmwNKy.jpg

Psu Mount. Worth adding is that I need to add rubber between all "moving" parts so the psu and pumps are therefor not welded to the frame but have separate supports where so I can soundproof them better. Again soundproofing parts with a 20dB output is a bit excessive but might as well.

Hjt2kxY.jpg

And to the woodwork then. It's in its infant stage but what I did here is a guy helped me glue birch together and then drag it through a machine I dont know the name of. What I need to do is make them into the round nice wingshapes im looking for. I'm looking at a solid 200 hours of sanding and polishing here but:D

This is the wood for the front panel and the short sides. Dimensions for the table btw is 1650x780x190.

B3W7Azj.jpg

Hi again, still working with the wood but here's my new atx tray. 

The caselabs sm8 something

CMO0NfK.jpg

So I've been working on the profiled wood. This longer than expected and I still have a lot of sanding to do but I feel like sharing the results. 

This is 2 out of 3 panels. The longer one being the front and obviously I need to cut holes for the fans and whatnot but it's getting there.

HWUC9NR.jpg

NsLd5L0.jpg

Here's some pictures of the upcoming reservoir. Sorry for the lack of updates but I've been very busy. 

Anyways the reservoir is a dual loop idea where it feeds and takes from the same res even though it's 2 separate loops and pumps.

Cqg5Z7D.png

AiiBRx2.png

Started to get the legs done for the table and lathing the mountjoints for the triple screen setup. Loving it

MCkyj8w.jpg

Some lathing for the lathers

QJ9YMHy.jpg

nf5LVMH.jpg

And the table is ALIVE with legs. There's some angle grinding and polishing to do but it's getting there.

pvI5DK5.jpg

Next update after christmas!

Holy shit, noice project m'dude

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

nice metalworking skills  ;)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Subbed but RIP night theme users 

Thank you. but I'm not familiar with "night theme"?

nice metalworking skills   ;)

Thank you.

Bottom left corner "Change Theme" "Night Theme"

Using an actual dark font makes this difficult to read.

Looking forward to seeing the final product.

Thank you. but I'm not familiar with "night theme"?

Thank you.

Once you use Night Theme, never again day theme, never again!

Can't wait to see what you'll be doing next. :)

And on to making the triple screen stand. So first off lathing needed to be done. and then we started making the "stick" that we will wount a the triple interlocking vesa mount system on. Cut weld polish repeat:D

hqvzLyh.jpg

To give a mental picture of what 1 screen will look like. Professional measuring techniques as always.

v027dAl.jpg

till we meet again..

Wow you clearly have fabrication talents - Great job so far!

Very kind of you, thank you!

My friends, it's time for an update!

Behold the mighty triple screen setup:D or let's call it the triple screen compatible monitor stand. I dont actually own 3 proper 4k screens yet but we'll get there.

I started with a huuuuge piece of steel. This sucker was 1800x120x12mm and really really heavy. Luckily weight is not a real concern for me. Strenght and quality far outweighs anything else.

Point here is that I can have as many screens as I wish without it looking wierd. The "sidemonitor stands" are detachable so they will not be in the way whatever setup im running.

Max screen size is 32inchesx3

oV2iDkB.jpg

qKqEsIM.jpg

mEx3SQ7.jpg

lZuevmq.jpg

lol half inch monitor mount FTW that's super overkill but awesome. you would have been fine with 3/16 =p or 5mm. do you plan to powder coat this beast?

I think your missing something that would fit very well in this theme... "Mahogany doors"

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

lol half inch monitor mount FTW that's super overkill but awesome. you would have been fine with 3/16 =p or 5mm. do you plan to powder coat this beast?

Yes and heat treat it so you can have a dog eating the legs without scratching them:D

I think your missing something that would fit very well in this theme... "Mahogany doors"

Please elaborate I don't really understand you. Might be worth mentioning this is only the frame. Everything except the legs will be covered with wood. I will do a test assembly next week. There's still some metalwork to be done.

Please elaborate I don't really understand you. Might be worth mentioning this is only the frame. Everything except the legs will be covered with wood. I will do a test assembly next week. There's still some metalwork to be done.

It's a reference.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TJwmZOxxS0o

How much is this costing you by the way?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

It's a reference.

How much is this costing you by the way?

maybe 12k when all is done.

maybe 12k when all is done.

Mind if I ask how your financing this? Even with just the frame it's one of the most beautiful pc desks I have seen so far.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Mind if I ask how your financing this? Even with just the frame it's one of the most beautiful pc desks I have seen so far.

You dont spend your money on other stuff:D. Seriously though I've saved up 2 years and slowly financed this since Im new to modding finding any sponsors would be tough. Hopefully when this is done the next build can be sponsored though and it will be easier.

I was initially gonna build the desk with hydraulic screens but that would have made it bigger and insanely more expensive. Maybe next time;D

You dont spend your money on other stuff:D. Seriously though I've saved up 2 years and slowly financed this since Im new to modding finding any sponsors would be tough. Hopefully when this is done the next build can be sponsored though and it will be easier.

I was initially gonna build the desk with hydraulic screens but that would have made it bigger and insanely more expensive. Maybe next time;D

that sucks man all the metal you have there is stuff you could pull out of the scrap bin were i work and buy for 9c a pound if i had the time something like this would only cost me maybe 100-200$

below is a work bench i made for myself awhile back that only cost me like 40$ in scrap metal. you might want to look around at your local fab shops and sometimes they will sell you scrap steel to small for them to use but its normally perfect for this kind of stuff

[vlmMv6r.jpg]

that sucks man all the metal you have there is stuff you could pull out of the scrap bin were i work and buy for 9c a pound if i had the time something like this would only cost me maybe 100-200$

below is a work bench i made for myself awhile back that only cost me like 40$ in scrap metal. you might want to look around at your local fab shops and sometimes they will sell you scrap steel to small for them to use but its normally perfect for this kind of stuff

the 12k is obviously for all the computer parts and wood etc. The actual steel was maybe 300 euros:D

the 12k is obviously for all the computer parts and wood etc. The actual steel was maybe 300 euros:D

ok that makes a lot more sense... lol =p 

Thats an awesome Build. How Did you get the idea to do this?

Well I looked at Riwa aquaramas (riviera runabout boats) and I wanted to do go with the same philosophy towards computers. Combining raw power and performance but making it elegant and effortless. The idea of a table started when I saw l3p do his a few years back. I loved it but I'm not a fan of the christmas-tree-e lighting etc so hence I'm going for a look like in the picture below.

The Riwa aquarama:

riva-aquarama-wood-boat-image-photo-at-1

*optimistically looks up*

"If only...."

#UltraWideMasterRace