Mahogany Desk, Build of the Year 2018

Koverhar

Long time no seen  but now everything is ready for sandblasting and paint so here's an update!

First off I had to make some changes to the radiator placement because of antithetical reasons. Because of this the starboard side of the table had to be reworked from the ground up.

5b6TNYT.jpg

Lent a plasma-cutter from the local school. This will be bolted on and its the new home for the UT60 360 rad.

BciCXVl.jpg

In place and marking out the holes for the woodwork.

coLkm2A.jpg

aIHaeQR.jpg

Had to make a tool for getting perfect round holes. I know you can buy a bit for this but it would be very expensive to get a 116mm and a 135 mm drilling tool worth using. Friend of my lathed these for me.

di3L46f.jpg

Here's a sidepanel but the idea is the same. I took a standard wood cutter first before going at it with milling machine.

Bq9ZwV4.jpg

I also had to mill the other side in order to fit the fans in the frame. Pretty delicate work since I didn't wanna screw up the teak

uyPhxcN.jpg

S055Uvx.jpg

Here's how it looks now from the inside. Bear in mind there's no finish to the wood yet so the look will change somewhat.

5GtkkBv.jpg

And the other side and the new home for the alphacool 360 rad.

FIsyyHb.jpg

In order to get the wood in and out for assembly it was made into 4 separate parts.

QupOZ9O.jpg

There had to be a custom solution for the HDD/SSD brackets. So here's the idea. This part will hold the HDD/SSD's in place as well as serving as a PSU holder.

8XP34N2.jpg

FuXrIDk.jpg

The reservoir had to get a plate to be mounted in the case. I went pretty overkill here. That's a 5 mm steel plate that's a bit larger than the reservoir and will keep the reservoir neatly in place. Here's a picture marking out the holes.

18a0ilb.jpg

The parts will go to paint now. i know this project has a rather slow pace but it's a tremendous amount of work to get this done right. It goes to paint and sandblasting next week. I'll have an update with the paintwork asap. Til next time

zgSRkrH.jpg

There's overkill and then there's this:D finally feels like im on the home stretch. I got about 90% of the parts painted now including the mainframe. I gotta assemble it again tommorow but here's a sneakpeak of what's to come. I chromed the legs and the monitor mounts/arms and matt black the rest. Don't mind the greasstains:D

v3OCakF.jpg

R3hPwFs.jpg

Pxk9CCS.jpg

fg9f7s0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

There's overkill and then there's this:D finally feels like im on the home stretch. I got about 90% of the parts painted now including the mainframe. I gotta assemble it again tommorow but here's a sneakpeak of what's to come. I chromed the legs and the monitor mounts/arms and matt black the rest. Don't mind the greasstains:D

v3OCakF.jpg

R3hPwFs.jpg

Pxk9CCS.jpg

fg9f7s0.jpg

So I've been busy fabricating and polishing the panels but here's some pictures of some other stuff I've been playing around with:D

Sidepanels fitted prior to cutting

5IoREml.jpg

HQgJEqn.jpg

Y3G1KtE.jpg

at my 3rd layer of resin atm. It's unbelievably time consuming.

A8HS84j.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Time to continue with the log. I've managed to get my side panels cut to fit and the interior wood work is nearing completion. I'm gonna share some pictures with you of what I have currently.

B9wLjKg.jpg

J6ul1uY.jpg

It's a decently snug fit prior to glueing.

pPN1Key.jpg

So the inner panels are obviously not done yet but I needed to testfit everything to get the faninlets and outlets measured sufficiently. It's pretty tricky to work with wood which is almost 3 inches thick and curved.

9nqBZcW.jpg

Ww4fZl0.jpg

Most of the basic components installed.

3JnElUi.jpgwQZcplL.jpg

I had to testsit it. Feels good man. The weight is absolutely immense tho so it will be hard to move this thing to a lanparty.. Next build in titanium maybe:S

uDOvobt.jpg

lO0w3Er.jpg

I hope someone enjoys this buildlog:D I'll come back when i get more progress.

2 minutes ago, Koverhar said:

-Snip-

Dude, that is an amazing desk.  Would take it over my situation any day.  I would just hate to get it up the stairs to my apartment.

36 minutes ago, TheCamba said:

Dude, that is an amazing desk.  Would take it over my situation any day.  I would just hate to get it up the stairs to my apartment.

y 150kg/300 something pounds is a lot:S

M8 you do know that Nvidia droped support for 3x and 4x sli, they will only support 2x sli, they even droped the enthusiast key thingy, so you could get 3x and 4x sli.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

6 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

M8 you do know that Nvidia droped support for 3x and 4x sli, they will only support 2x sli, theyeven droped the enthusiast key thingy, so you could get 3x and 4x sli.

Well thats why going custom and having something nice to look at it good, too bad the enthusiast genre is "dead". That being said 2xgtx 1080 is plenty

• 2 weeks later...

Miniupdate. Had to repaint everything since I wasn't 100% satisfied. So had to sandblast everything and go again:) things you don't do for perfection.

Anyway I got my hardened glass panel that I ordered so here it is.

MK3xj16.jpg

Curved edges are awesome.

5RtMkjf.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hello, I haven't updated for a while but it's time to do so!

The sidepanels have been CNC'd to get to this shape

Hbd4dcm.jpg

And the cutout for the fancontroller

oxseSDq.jpg

R3bLl2L.jpg

With the sidepanels on I managed to get this look. Note the sides are about to get a lot shorter

Sideview

klsxLQX.jpg

bICVIPs.jpg

cpLKZ5I.jpg

O586723.jpg

Them exhausts:)

NDdpXCE.jpg

FN59Mew.jpg

Testing the fangrills to see how the fit. Fellsgoodman

ozfvNLA.jpg

EzY59uq.jpg

zrU0USZ.jpg

From the inside

cmwcFVP.jpg

U37rUAs.jpg

Time to get that top piece of wood in this desk. This is so time consuming since you need to fit it within 0.1 of a millimeter to get it to look right

7IQXmow.jpg

Had some help here:) we shaved half a mm or something until we got it to snugly fit

grIGZuB.jpg

Eventually

goT5Yht.jpg

Its inside! halleluja

c1eD0HM.jpg

Good old "scale" picture with a 25cl redbull

mpE8v1Z.jpg

This together with glue is what is used to get everything together. I use a polyethalyne glue for outdoor use which is increadably strong but takes forever to fully harden. This is more or less what you would use to make a wooden boat

pJlXALv.jpg

65wvq3y.jpg

OTOfnXU.jpg

Time to wrap this baby up so I dont screw up the paintjob

QEhxJAA.jpg

T65i97Q.jpg

Glued together now

gQaMlHo.jpg

2 weeks later with the legs back on

W8SNQtC.jpg

SECjUA6.jpg

QBd10jR.jpg

A lot of people might not have noticed but the wood is actually just an outer shell. This is so that I can redraw cables and stuff if need be

tlW7gVZ.jpg

htodsYE.jpg

Reinforcements. Probably so overkill but might as well

qGhBO4B.jpg

Drawed up some for the lathing

amry9Dq.jpg

2 hours later. The cutouts are done!

5KgAUHs.jpg

jNfLNRq.jpg

And with the glass back on it will look somewhat like this

1sp2Igl.jpg

uVaR41T.jpg

pLFalJO.jpg

Du16ULE.jpg

wlZ2uNV.jpg

qHherZ1.jpg

Next week I'll do the coutout for the glass and then you'll all see the lovely interior!

damnnn iv been fallowing this thing forever it seems like just when iv forgot about it you post again and suck me back in cant wait to see it finished =]

• 5 weeks later...

Time for an update. Been doing the cutout for the glass. Some work eh. Made a small note for myself get a 5 axis cnc machine:) I don't have one of those though. 

I think I mentioned it but the woodwork is just an outer shell. It's very very sturdy but it doesn't support anything that's what the welded steelframe does:)

nok2HKZ.jpg

One of my small dreams was to have a keystart to my computer. At long last I have it. It's every bit as unnecessary and impractical as one might think but it does make it a bit more cool.)

IkHo1iL.jpg

hBk4NSg.jpg

So we made the metal plate to guide the key thing and then I had to make a cutout for the whole thing in the wood

2kWniqk.jpg

I'm gonna remake the actual key but I'm happy with the positioning of it and so on

x2HBPaP.jpg

Onto the cutout then. It cleans up the lines a lot with finally getting the cutout for the glass done. 

3GH8oD5.jpg

oKmsFDH.jpg

From the side

W2iWT47.jpg

The interior blends together decently. Note that the outer wood isn't finished whatsoever. Shape is but not the finish of the thing

xFpISka.jpg

Glass inside

kM5N7bs.jpg

Keyboard for scale

O4SpR8v.jpg

HDgfW9L.jpg

s8RZd9K.jpg

Someones hands for a feel of the scale.

OT7S0ew.jpg

The glass might seem very dark but with some lighting it really isn't. It's just hard to capture it on camera but you can see all the components inside without any trouble

• 3 months later...

Time to continue the post. First off huge thanks to Icemodz for some help with the cables you will see a very thorough run through how I do the cable-work. Will be using MDPC sleeve for everything.

So what has taken so much time one might ask. Well the whole internal wood structure was redone because I wasn't happy with the finish. This took a while.  Happy now though since I'm using 7 layers of 2 component diamond varnish. This is actually what you use on like a mahogany runabout boat and what you end up with is a mirror finish.

Another thing that you can't see but because wood "lives" I had to remod the seating for the glasspanel, the fancontroller and I've done fangrill supports underneath.

LEhIPbN.jpg

2h3zWNU.jpg

JOsV5rH.jpg

Did final mountingpoints for everything. These screws are quite hard to spot and they keep the inner wood to the outer birch shell through the steel chassi. It's very strong

KpWeAzU.jpg

n2dN6Oh.jpg

Did mounting points for the back end as well. Ran a bolt from the inside with a double nut construction where I just thread the wood on.

4jNyX85.jpg

After a while of sanding and getting everything aligned here is the removable back panel installed. (probably gonna change the nutcaps)

X18qjZJ.jpg

Ordered more stuff from Highflow.nl

Cy49sJK.jpg

I've not discussed it before but for sound I will have ways out for a reciever but predominantly I'll be using headphones. I will be installing my ODAC dac/amp combo and listen to by beloved Sennheiser hd 650's. I just love this combo.

VdfJchD.jpg

Another problem arose. Because of how the glass is inlaid in the wood I cannot use any normal hinge. So we gotta go custom here once more. Looking at the internet and then guessing the measurements here's the process. The idea of the hinge is that it not only turns the glass on a pivot point. But also pushes the glass forward and away from the wood. 

Some CAD-stuff

P5JH8AC.jpg

Next level engineering glueing the prototype on some plywood

JkVgac3.jpg

After some cutting

BqmNtgs.jpg

Finished prototype

tFn6fOb.jpg

Don't judge me on the dust please!:D

tAxcF21.jpg

Youtube clip can be found here.

And at the moment I'm designing fangrills. The standard mesh just doesn't look good enough so I want to get this chromed

uU7Wvk8.png

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update!

Recieved my ODAC in the mail. Loving the sound off this thing paired up with my sennheiser HD 650's

O4MjxP9.jpg

Got my fangrills made as well. Ended up having them plasmacut even though the idea was to get them watercut. Will have to do a lot of sanding and filing to get these to look right but it will be worth it in the end.

xucpJwN.jpg

jLKilcW.jpg

And the big radiator grills for the monstahs

jCgkN86.jpg

sSvbsw3.jpg

Nu8qji3.jpg

And here's the cables feutured in the last video update. Thank you again Icemodz for believing in this project

iNgrdRq.jpg

On 22.12.2015 at 9:24 PM, W-L said:

Once you use Night Theme, never again day theme, never again!

Can't wait to see what you'll be doing next. :)

you are right, i CANNOT use the day theme anymore :)