Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koverhar

Mahogany Desk, Build of the Year 2018

Recommended Posts

Real classy build there. Enter this in competitions, you are sure to either win or be in the top three.


A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 hours ago, Leonard said:

Real classy build there. Enter this in competitions, you are sure to either win or be in the top three.

Thank you, it's my first build but what competitions do you mean? Afaik this is a scratchbuild and most competitions are based around modding some case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
12 hours ago, Maarten/Pine said:

I'm doing a DIY PC desk aswell but holy cow, this is some next level sheit!

Thank you, that's very kind

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Koverhar said:

Thank you, it's my first build but what competitions do you mean? Afaik this is a scratchbuild and most competitions are based around modding some case.

There are scratch build competitions, last year had on in Thailand and if you enter with this so called "first build" you are sure to win or at least place. Your design is really elegant, i personally don't like the wood boat theme but those artsy fartsy types LOVE that shit!.

 

Sorry i don't live by you cause you would sure be building my subwoofers and speakers for my home theater.

 

Keep it up!


A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Time to continue then..

So finally getting some components in. They will go out and in quite a bit before it's all said and done but still feels like a great milestone

Here's some overview shots.

Chassi only

 

PFOv5KNl.jpg

 

Body on

 

YhHGfgIl.jpg

 

Made some custom steel mounting pieces for the pumps. They've been powdercoated after that

 

hePeYtwl.jpg

 

The motherboard tray is also in it's natural habitat now. We made a cable hiding tool behind the motherboard tray and had a panel lasercut to make it look nice. The 2 holes are for some temp-monitoring

 

OAC603Ml.jpg

YjJtSRAl.jpg

SOhEZA6l.jpg

And on the starboard side there's the 360 rad, the ax1500i psu as well as the custom mounting bracket for the psu, harddrives and ssd's

 

eW7SkEyl.jpg

 

QK2xa4Ol.jpg

 

Had to level the reservoir. This was a bit of a headache but the solution was to cut a 3mm thick solid steelplate and have that as the reservoir mounting and at the same time leveling it perfectly.

74VPsMul.jpg

 

Bolts and bricks ftw

 

pFIw71Hl.jpg

 

Decently happy with how the radiators are being hidden, but they are big. Hopefully the fangrills will clean up everything a bit

 

XvV9e6Il.jpg

 

That being said I can't wait to see these things in action

 

xIAm5jel.jpg

 

 

Redid the back holes and added these hexagon nuts. they look better

 

XytW4hDl.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, just wow...


Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

It's time to continue:)

Test fitted some hard drives. I'll take away the stickers don't worry!


taOmeNhl.jpg


Gotta have key ignition. This solution is a bit overbuilt but when in rome:)

ek7cCOal.jpg

From underneath

JrGK2tjl.jpg

Gotta have an usb panel for the usb audio and especially the ODAC. So i cut some holes for the usb and then proceeded to measure out. Had some welding help from michael again. Thank you:)

eP8T9skl.jpg

StLMFMJl.jpg

I0pxvhfl.jpg

This oughtta be strong enough

w2b12Zql.jpg

Anyone know if I voided the varanty here?

Yl5tt9gl.jpg

b6p9HKtl.jpg

NPoOrLQl.jpg

c0efDTBl.jpg

Will get this plate engraved with some stuff. You'll see later :)

0EkRIHpl.jpg

Well I can connect my headphones now but there's not a lot of sound yet:D

MWhdPSil.jpg

There's some plans for decent audio outside the headphones too if anyone was worried. Gonna have to change the membranes on these and change the shells but they pack a hefty sound.  More on this later too

RDnsQWfl.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy shit this build is so awesome, you're doing amazing work here! The contoured wood around the outside fits so darn well with the "pinstripe" wood on the inside, the whole motor-yacht aesthetic is really captured well. So damn cool!

 

 

How did you go about designing the motion of this hinge? Are there programs that can help you with that, did you calculate it manually or did you just try out stuff with cardboard until you got the motion you wanted?

On 2/11/2017 at 10:20 AM, Koverhar said:

Another problem arose. Because of how the glass is inlaid in the wood I cannot use any normal hinge. So we gotta go custom here once more. Looking at the internet and then guessing the measurements here's the process. The idea of the hinge is that it not only turns the glass on a pivot point. But also pushes the glass forward and away from the wood. 

 

Some CAD-stuff

 

P5JH8AC.jpg

 

Next level engineering glueing the prototype on some plywood

 

JkVgac3.jpg

 

After some cutting

 

BqmNtgs.jpg

 

Finished prototype

 

tFn6fOb.jpg

 

Don't judge me on the dust please!:D

 

tAxcF21.jpg

 

Youtube clip can be found here.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 hours ago, iFreilicht said:

Holy shit this build is so awesome, you're doing amazing work here! The contoured wood around the outside fits so darn well with the "pinstripe" wood on the inside, the whole motor-yacht aesthetic is really captured well. So damn cool!

 

 

How did you go about designing the motion of this hinge? Are there programs that can help you with that, did you calculate it manually or did you just try out stuff with cardboard until you got the motion you wanted?

Thank you for the kind words:)

 

Looked on the internet through a few hundred different hinges and then when I found the motion I wanted it was just a matter of getting a sideshot of the hinge to "copy the geometry" and as long as the holes were in the correct space in relation to each other the rest didn't matter. So basically import a 2d sideshot picture into CAD, map the holes and go to town

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

Honestly this is the  most exciting buildlog i've followed in a long time. The craftsmanship and creativity is off the charts.

Thanks I made a video for anyone wanting to see this in a moving picture:)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome :)

 

Every bit from idea, craftsmenship, attention to details, precision and passion to make it, is realy  admirable.

 

Thank you for sharing this piece of art with us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 hours ago, iFreilicht said:

How are you going to fix the glass panel to the hinges? You're not going to drill through it, are you?

With some very special glue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

So after a lot of work which you will see later the table is finally getting the stain and varnish it deserves. I had to move it in order to get it painted because I'll be using some fairly toxic stuff. 
That being said here's the painting rig and the color which I'll be going for.

RiGxN6El.jpg

Underneath is a pingboll table frame:)

08hQkval.jpg

Here's the color. However it will be really shiny and not "muddy" as in the photo
eU0KW57.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just discovered this build today! Saw you already went trough almost two year of hard work and I can't wait to see it finished!

I hope you can get some more attention so that maybe manufacturer will hook you up with the latest tech stuff (even if the parts mentioned in the first post are already amazing). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 hours ago, Swiss said:

I just discovered this build today! Saw you already went trough almost two year of hard work and I can't wait to see it finished!

I hope you can get some more attention so that maybe manufacturer will hook you up with the latest tech stuff (even if the parts mentioned in the first post are already amazing). 

Thank you, while I'd love to have sponsors none of the ones I've asked has been interested except for Icemodz (tyvm). I hope to get more attention when I attend dreamhack next winter. We'll see what happends:) In the meantime I just wanna get it as pretty as possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This build is a work of art from the ground up. It really is just beautiful. As someone who does metal work, I can really appreciate the cleanliness of the welds and the polish on the legs. 

 

Then you ramp it up by using that beautiful mahogany the finish it.  

 

I really enjoy that you've included the sound as part of this. Kinda like an all in one system going on.

 

You've inspired me to make a desk pc. I'll probably have to wait until I'm not on the 3rd floor of an apartment because it won't likely fit up there. 

 

I am curious though. How much does this weigh? with hat construction I would imagine one would need 4 people to lift and move it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, fastcar123 said:

This build is a work of art from the ground up. It really is just beautiful. As someone who does metal work, I can really appreciate the cleanliness of the welds and the polish on the legs. 

 

Then you ramp it up by using that beautiful mahogany the finish it.  

 

I really enjoy that you've included the sound as part of this. Kinda like an all in one system going on.

 

You've inspired me to make a desk pc. I'll probably have to wait until I'm not on the 3rd floor of an apartment because it won't likely fit up there. 

 

I am curious though. How much does this weigh? with hat construction I would imagine one would need 4 people to lift and move it.

 

It warms my heart that I've inspired you:)

 

The wood is extremely heavy. With everything it will weigh approx 120kg or like 260 pounds. A custom box will be made for the table and another for the legs and the screen etc for moving around to shows. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×