Fairphone 2 started shipping, first modular phone.

ZetZet

Sources: http://www.gsmarena.com/fairphone_2_modular_smartphone_shipments_have_begun-news-15645.php

https://www.fairphone.com/2015/12/21/fairphone-2-starts-shipping-across-europe/

gsmarena_001.jpg

Specs-wise, the handset is powered by a Snapdragon 801 chipset and sports a 5" 1080p screen with Gorilla Glass 3 protection. It has 2GB RAM and an 8MP camera, and runs Android 5.1 Lollipop. The device offers support for 4G LTE and dual-SIM, and also has a microSD slot.

K2K7zc9.png

Carrying a price tag of around €525, the Fairphone 2 is currently only available for purchase in Europe.

Looks like Scamphone 2 to me and where is version 1?

A modular phone for 500 euros that you instantly need to upgrade for it to make sense value wise. What a deal boys.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Only an 801 tho? The one plus x has that for $250 usd.

801, 8mp camera, 2420mah, no microsd, shit sucks.

Also 11mm thick with that tiny battery, modular design ftl.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

What can you exactly upgrade?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

What can you exactly upgrade?

Nothing at the moment.

I still don't understand the practicality of phone modularity

Me neither. Modular designs will never work in small form factors because modular parts take up more space, always.

Spoiler

You forgot to mention that one of the unique selling points is that they dont use rare materials and that they check the factories for child labour and other human right stuff.

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

Lol I read the title of this as "Failphone 2"

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem 

2? what was the first one?

Agreed, and is the Fairphone?

A bit of context would help. We are not talking about Windows here.

Nothing at the moment.

Me neither. Modular designs will never work in small form factors because modular parts take up more space, always.

In theory at least, what is swappable? 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

2? what was the first one?

Agreed, and is the Fairphone?

A bit of context would help. We are not talking about Windows here.

I have no idea where is the first one, their page is not helping.

Here is the first one, even more shit than this one. https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Fairphone+1+Teardown/20527

so basically they already killed their first fairphone, how fair is that.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

:lol:In theory at least, what is swappable? 

http://shop.fairphone.com/catalog/category/view/id/11

Back Cover €7.50

Battery €18.15

Daughterboard €5.00

Earpiece speaker €1.20

Flash €1.71

FP1U Display assembly €71.50

FP1U Motherboard €118.65

Midframe €11.85

Rear Camera €28.10

Replacement Screws €1.20

RF Cable €5.00

Speaker €1.29

Vibration Mechanism €1.29

Volume and Power button €2.30

but at the moment there are only spare parts.

never mind, that's actually fairphone 1 lol.

Spoiler

Lol I read the title of this as "Failphone 2"

That might as well be the name of it.

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

You forgot to mention that one of the unique selling points is that they dont use rare materials and that they check the factories for child labour and other human right stuff.

Well, that shouldn't be consumers concern anyway.

Spoiler

Looks like Scamphone 2 to me and where is version 1?

If you had bothered reading their homepage you'd know it costs that much because they pay their workers a fair salary. You may not care, in fact so many people don't care that mistreating and underpaying workers to get cheap products is the norm nowadays. Companies do what they feel they can get away with, and I have seen no customer outrage for the slave-condition workers who manufacture an iphone for 150 bucks per unit that then gets resold for 800. Speaking of the iphone, aside from the soc and camera, this has better specs AND is modular. So since it's also a fair bit cheaper, this is not the phone I would call scam on.

The first version came out 2-3 years ago iirc, wasn't modular though.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If you had bothered reading their homepage you'd know it costs that much because they pay their workers a fair salary. You may not care, in fact so many people don't care that mistreating and underpaying workers to get cheap products is the norm nowadays. Companies do what they feel they can get away with, and I have seen no customer outrage for the slave-condition workers who manufacture an iphone for 150 bucks per unit that then gets resold for 800. Speaking of the iphone, aside from the soc and camera, this has better specs AND is modular. So since it's also a fair bit cheaper, this is not the phone I would call scam on.

The first version came out 2-3 years ago iirc, wasn't modular though.

iPhone has design, this is a brick. 

iPhone has an OS, this uses a completely unknown version of Android and there is no guarantees that it will get updated. The fact that it's planning to be modular ruins it's chances for software support even further.

The fact that factories in China don't pay people enough is certainly sad and it would be nice if they did, but again, it shouldn't be my concern. Generally when people don't get paid enough the best solution is to not work for the amount they give you. If people choose to work for that amount it's probably enough to survive and conditions even in small no brand factories that I have seen are pretty damn good already. 

Spoiler

Yay !

That is good news, for a phone to be repairable without too much hassle and with respect of human rights and child labour, of course it costs money ! the spec sheet is good for the challenge it created ! I'd like a bit more support from the makers becuse the fairphone 1st edition has been very quickly abandoned, and it's sad.

To all people complaining : enjoy your phone made in factories where people die of exhaustion and the tin comes for protected part of the world ruined by the extraction, you should consider your purchases way more than you're right now and act selfishly, so please stop, you'll make everybody better like that.

Mentionning these :

Well, that shouldn't be consumers concern anyway.

Of course it should be ! the purchase decision of the end user is an act of caution of the choices of conception and manufacturing ! even more in the globalized and uber capita we live in !

for the failphone guys : well, it's sad... the state of mentality you're in is forbidding you to see that some people care about the others... sucks to be you

Gaming Laptop :  MSI (worst brand ever in EU) GT70 0NC 48FR - I7 3610QM - 670M 3GB GDDR5 - 12GB 1600MHZ - raid0 2 x 64GB sandisk SSD - 750 Gb Hitachi 7200/min

Galaxy s3 GTI9300 international - Archidroid v2.5.3 (git) - 1600Mhz PegasuQ on ArchiKernel .

iPhone has an OS, this uses a completely unknown version of Android and there is no guarantees that it will get updated. The fact that it's planning to be modular ruins it's chances for software support even further.

The fact that factories in China don't pay people enough is certainly sad and it would be nice if they did, but again, it shouldn't be my concern. Generally when people don't get paid enough the best solution is to not work for the amount they give you. If people choose to work for that amount it's probably enough to survive and conditions even in small no brand factories that I have seen are pretty damn good already. 

It's a modular phone. You can't expect it to be as thin or "well designed" (although frankly it's just a screen with a camera on the back, you really need to put in some effort to screw it up - and this looks just fine in my book). The iphone 4 was a brick, I don't recall people complaining - besides I don't think it's a big deal at all unless it's too heavy to hold comfortably with one hand.

Whose concern should it be? Do you think those workers have a choice on where to work? Here, if you don't like a job you leave. There, if you leave your job (assuming you found one) you pretty much die. If you think they're "pretty damn good" take a look at foxconn factories, where they have constant suicides for the horrible working conditions.

I hate to go there, but "it's not my concern" is part of the reason nazis had a field day carrying out their genocide in ww2. Of course this isn't as bad, but still, it's not the right way of thinking.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Call iphone a designed object and you'll make yourself a fool... the iphone is a rectangle with round edges, whoohooo that's design choice !

And don't compare a project the size of fairphone with apple's size because if the first one has a small margin of error, the latter has NONE for the price it asks for it's devices and it's history...

As I said before, you buy stuff, you buy the conception and choices... that's as simple as that, at the very least, these guys care about the consequences of the product they're selling and it's a major concern for everyone, even though people refuse to see it.

Gaming Laptop :  MSI (worst brand ever in EU) GT70 0NC 48FR - I7 3610QM - 670M 3GB GDDR5 - 12GB 1600MHZ - raid0 2 x 64GB sandisk SSD - 750 Gb Hitachi 7200/min

Galaxy s3 GTI9300 international - Archidroid v2.5.3 (git) - 1600Mhz PegasuQ on ArchiKernel .

enjoy your phone made in factories where people die of exhaustion

oh please

It's a modular phone. You can't expect it to be as thin or "well designed" (although frankly it's just a screen with a camera on the back, you really need to put in some effort to screw it up - and this looks just fine in my book). The iphone 4 was a brick, I don't recall people complaining - besides I don't think it's a big deal at all unless it's too heavy to hold comfortably with one hand.

Whose concern should it be? Do you think those workers have a choice on where to work? Here, if you don't like a job you leave. There, if you leave your job (assuming you found one) you pretty much die. If you think they're "pretty damn good" take a look at foxconn factories, where they have constant suicides for the horrible working conditions.

I hate to go there, but "it's not my concern" is part of the reason nazis had a field day carrying out their genocide in ww2. Of course this isn't as bad, but still, it's not the right way of thinking.

Exactly, it's modular and it's poorly designed. 

Frequent suicides, last suicide 2013...

It's not my job to figure out what conditions my device was made of. I expect governments to provide standards of working for their workers and maintain them.

Call iphone a designed object and you'll make yourself a fool... the iphone is a rectangle with round edges, whoohooo that's design choice !

And don't compare a project the size of fairphone with apple's size because if the first one has a small margin of error, the latter has NONE for the price it asks for it's devices and it's history...

As I said before, you buy stuff, you buy the conception and choices... that's as simple as that, at the very least, these guys care about the consequences of the product they're selling and it's a major concern for everyone, even though people refuse to see it.

That's just blatant bullshit. Yeah, iPhone is certainly just a rectangle with round edges, then what the fuck is that thing? An actual brick?

I am not comparing project sizes, I am calling out the idea itself.

I buy my stuff from a store, if it got to that store legally I trust that thing to be manufactured by certain standards. 

Spoiler

It's not my job to figure out what conditions my device was made of. I expect governments to provide standards of working for their workers and maintain them.

"It's not my job to figure out where all those jews are going"

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

"It's not my job to figure out where all those jews are going"

Except that's not how it was and you know it. I don't understand your comparison and it's not an argument. You are one of the last people on this forum I would expect this type of comment from. 

Spoiler

That's just blatant bullshit. Yeah, iPhone is certainly just a rectangle with round edges, then what the fuck is that thing? An actual brick?

I am not comparing project sizes, I am calling out the idea itself.

I buy my stuff from a store, if it got to that store legally I trust that thing to be manufactured by certain standards. 

It's not my job to check if syrians are okay... it's not my job of looking into corruption of my politics... you can extend that thought at almost anything! the fact that your goverment is dealing with people that don't respect these standards doesn't mean anything to you? why is it build there in the first place huh? COST less money ... why?? well .. LESS REGULATIONS and standards ! bam, invalid agument .. NEXT!

The fact that you separate the concept from who built it is the issue here ! it's a step forward, and you're trying to place it against stuff so poorly integrated with the respect of it's world it makes no sense !

and yeah, I needed a bait to engage discussion, and it worked well !

It's not my job to check if syrians are okay... it's not my job of looking into corruption of my politics... you can extend that thought at almost anything! the fact that your goverment is dealing with people that don't respect these standards doesn't mean anything to you? why is it build there in the first place huh? COST less money ... why?? well .. LESS REGULATIONS and standards ! bam, invalid agument .. NEXT!

The fact that you separate the concept from who built it is the issue here ! it's a step forward, and you're trying to place it against stuff so poorly integrated with the respect of it's world it makes no sense !

and yeah, I needed a bait to engage discussion, and it worked well !

Why exactly should I trust some startup company to be more legitimate than my government that I voted for? As far as I know they could just be scamming people.

No it's actually a step backwards. We had phones of similar modularity about 5 years ago. You know what happened? They got phased out because you just couldn't design a device to be as high quality and performance by making it modular. There is a reason most phones have non-removable batteries, there is a reason display/glass/digitizer are glued together.

Spoiler