Explain Skylake to me :)

Go to solution Solved by Senzelian,

Can someone explain to me why skylake is better the the previous generation of cpus? How does that i7 7600k compare to the 4790k? I know that it works with ddr4 but what else is so special about it? Thanks!

Nothing is special about it.

It's a chip at a smaller manufacturing process than the 4th generation processors. It needs less power and performs better and has better integrated graphics.

It is now also easier to adjust the baseclock.

And that's pretty much it. It's like every new Intel generation:

It does stuff and it does that stuff a little bit faster than the older generation.

Can someone explain to me why skylake is better the the previous generation of cpus? How does that i7 6700k compare to the 4790k? I know that it works with ddr4 but what else is so special about it? Thanks!

Edited by Godlygamer23
Typo correction.

Can someone explain to me why skylake is better the the previous generation of cpus? How does that i7 7600k compare to the 4790k? I know that it works with ddr4 but what else is so special about it? Thanks!

Nothing is special about it.

It's a chip at a smaller manufacturing process than the 4th generation processors. It needs less power and performs better and has better integrated graphics.

It is now also easier to adjust the baseclock.

And that's pretty much it. It's like every new Intel generation:

It does stuff and it does that stuff a little bit faster than the older generation.

Every generation Intel improves their CPUs, as they should.  That's basically it really. Skylake is newer than Haswell, on a different architecture and therefore more powerful given equal clock speeds mostly.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Skylake is a newer-updated generation of Intel Processors that are a bit thinner but have about a (someone correct me if I'm wrong) 10-13% performance increase than the previous generation. It's also made with a new supported Z170 chipset for overclocking the K models. 

Feel free to add on anyone, if I missed some stuff.

[spoiler=Current Rig] N/A

How was the moderator saying "Moved to CPUs, Motherboard and Memory'" or whatever the best answer? xD I'm just lost in that.

How was the moderator saying "Moved to CPUs, Motherboard and Memory'" or whatever the best answer? xD I'm just lost in that.

You're not the only one.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory.

what does this mean?

what does this mean?

It means I moved a thread to another location.

You're not the only one.

Didn't know that marked as solved made the post the best answer xD Sorry.

It means I moved a thread to another location.

Right

More efficient? To be honest I don't know what all the hype is about.

What hype?

No one cares about Skylake...  :huh: 

Pretty much haswell with a 10% performance boost, a better igpu, and is based on a 14nm process

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Skylake is a newer-updated generation of Intel Processors that are a bit thinner but have about a (someone correct me if I'm wrong) 10-13% performance increase than the previous generation. It's also made with a new supported Z170 chipset for overclocking the K models.

Feel free to add on anyone, if I missed some stuff.

Intel also moved the VRM from the CPU package to the motherboard.

skylake is just another iteration of Intel icore line of cpus. The first digit denotes the generations. E.g. 4790k is 4th generation and the code name for the microarchitecture is Haswell. Each newer generation yields performance improvement around 5% more than the previous. Low i know, Intel has been slacking off these years because AMD has been very uncompetitive. I3, i5, and i7 denotes the tier these cpus belong to. i3 is entry level, i5 is med range, and i7 is the fastest and most powerful cpu for the enthusiasts market. Rule of thumb is this, newer generation, higher icorex and high xxxx generally means faster and more powerful cpus. 

Pretty much haswell with a 10% performance boost, a better igpu, and is based on a 14nm process

Bahahhahahahaha!!! 10% my ass LOL! The best I've seen is 5% in tasks aided by the DDR4 ram, take that away and the Haswell and Skylake are similar in performance.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Bahahhahahahaha!!! 10% my ass LOL! The best I've seen is 5% in tasks aided by the DDR4 ram, take that away and the Haswell and Skylake are similar in performance.

They did add instructions to speed up some tasks, also so called "reverse hyperthreading"

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

They did add instructions to speed up some tasks, also so called "reverse hyperthreading"

Anything to sell a new product.

If anyone asks you never saw me.