Sapphire 390 vs MSI 970. Reliability vs FPS

BulkyZaNka

After looking a bit I found a sapphire 390 and a msi gtx 970 both at a very similar price and was wondering would which would be better? I am not going for like a million fps but reliability. I am going to be playing mostly CS:GO and maybe sometimes record/stream. I want this card to be able to get decent fps in games in 3 years time. I also have a mobo with build in overclocking so wouldn't mind pushing that card a bit.

Thanks, Bulky

Sapphire R9 390 will last longer, due to the vram.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

R9 390 because extra vram

edit: rip 2x ninja'd

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

i would go 390, despite owning the 970, due to VRAM.

The 3.5GB are not a problem, it's only when i hit 3.8GB i see  a performance decrease in GTA V, and this is only due to my two monitors

When in doubt: C4

390 will last much longer than the 970 simply because of 8GB VRAM.

This is true. But regardless, it wont be running anything that requires 8gb of vram with flying colors. Let alone a good fps.

The 390 is the way to go. Seeing as how you need around 4 gb of vram now adays.

Spoiler

Nihla

i5 4570k @ 4.20ghz 1.2v | Zotac 1060 AMP + Zotac 1070 ti Mini | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | X2 LG 29UC88

Hifiman HE4xx | Philips SHP9500s | Swans HiVi M10

R9 390

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I read that if you oc the 970, it will beat the 390. I do plan to of but I have never done it before so I'm not gonna get any where far with it xD The heat or power doesn't concern me, I have a water cooled cpu and a phanteks enthoo pro full of fans haha

I'll suggest the 390 not because of the vram. But because of the architecture, the few benchmarked "games" that came out have shown the mid range AMD cards to be performing pretty well in DX12. Though, I will predict that both these cards won't be able to perform well some years down the road. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I read that if you oc the 970, it will beat the 390. I do plan to of but I have never done it before so I'm not gonna get any where far with it xD The heat or power doesn't concern me, I have a water cooled cpu and a phanteks enthoo pro full of fans haha

You can OC the 390 as well. Just so you know...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

The 390 overclocks decently too. Some lucky 970s would be able to squeeze more performance with overclock than an overclocked 390.

The 390 is a much better card when ti comes to support than the crippled 970, but they both might not be able to achieve playable FPS after 3 years.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

Ik it can but people were saying the stock 390 overclocks like trash, same goes for the Sapphire 390? By both do you mean the 390 and the 970?

Ik it can but people were saying the stock 390 overclocks like trash, same goes for the Sapphire 390? By both do you mean the 390 and the 970?

Stock 390 overclocks like trash.... Where would you find a stock 390? 

Yes, 970 and 390.

Why a $300 GPU to play CS:GO?

Not only to play CS:GO, I want it to be able to run any game I throw at it in 3-5 years, at that point the fps isn't going to be any impressive but at least it would be abr to run it, the one I have has either 1 or even half Gb of Vram, it was a Black Edition XFX card. Runs CS:GO at 300 fps but crashes when I play 7 days to die. It would be a miracle if I could record something at 420p, not even mentioning 720p hahaha

Stock 390 overclocks like trash.... Where would you find a stock 390? 

Yes, 970 and 390.

As of the Rx 300 series, there is no reference card besides the Fury X and Nano. There are some Reference PCBs, but pretty much everything is custom. So the answer to that question which you probably know already is nowhere :)

"The REVISED Companion Cube, v2.1" - "1440p, lock on." Discover it by clicking here.   // Peripherals - Corsair Strafe RGB  + Steelseries Rival

CPU - i7-6700k // Motherboard - ASRock Z170 Extreme 6+ // CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i GTX // Memory - 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4-2133 (2x8GB) // Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 1TB // Graphics - Crossfire Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X // PSU -  EVGA SuperNova G2 850W // Case - Corsair Carbide Air 540 (Steel) // Devices - iPhone 6 Plus, Macbook Pro //

As of the Rx 300 series, there is no reference card besides the Fury X and Nano. There are some Reference PCBs, but pretty much everything is custom. So the answer to that question which you probably know already is nowhere :)

So the Sapphire wouldn't be "trash" at overclocking?

Depends on silicon lottery. Right now, it is observed that most Msi cards are good overclockers, followed by XFX and then Sapphire. 

Remember that "trash" means different things for two different cards. For the 390 1200MHz is a great overclock where 1450MHz is great for the 970. It all depends on how lucky you are with the card, but you should be able to get a decent boost.

"The REVISED Companion Cube, v2.1" - "1440p, lock on." Discover it by clicking here.   // Peripherals - Corsair Strafe RGB  + Steelseries Rival

CPU - i7-6700k // Motherboard - ASRock Z170 Extreme 6+ // CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i GTX // Memory - 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4-2133 (2x8GB) // Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 1TB // Graphics - Crossfire Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X // PSU -  EVGA SuperNova G2 850W // Case - Corsair Carbide Air 540 (Steel) // Devices - iPhone 6 Plus, Macbook Pro //

Average OC on HWBot for a 390 is 1180MHz which is quite good

Average OC for a 970 is about 1400 which is meh for that card as some people have reached 1600

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Compared to the 970, yes the Sapphire would overclock like trash. Pure and simple. Out of the box and not playing a Gameworks game the 390 is stronger. Overclock them both and the 970 wins. The 970 will offer more reliable performance and also put less strain on the CPU.

And VRAM? Only useful if you can use it. And in games where you need the VRAM the 390 is already struggling. But I assume the same happens with the 970.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

So using the built-in oc feature in the msi mobo, I will get better performance with the 970? The it just comes down to more memory or faster speeds right?

Edit: keep in ind that I'm using a single 1080p monitor and might do some kind of recording or streaming.

I've had a Sapphire 290 and 390, nether is reliable over 1100mhz. Memory speed could be increased by 50mhz on broth before you had problems. But AMD overclocks count more per MHz than Nvidia so there's that.

Big thing is Gameworks, which causes the Sapphire to fall on its face. But it doesn't sound like you're playing many Gameworks games so the 390 might be for you.

Though I'd advise the 290 Vaporx ;)

If anyone asks you never saw me.