[Article] When the Internet of Things Starts to Feel Like the Internet of Shit

DigitalHermit

Stumbled upon this article via the Google Play Newsstand App and I think it's worth a read and relevant... (mods, please feel free to move to any subforum you feel appropriate for this)

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/when-the-internet-of-things-starts-to-feel-like-the-internet-of-shit

Abstract:
Staff writer of Vice interviews @internetofshit from twitter about his thoughts of "Internet of things" devices. @internetofshit comments that the devices are currently at the "let's shove it in anywhere it'll fit" stage with very little integration across devices and platforms often requiring additional smartphone apps. In addition to this he also comments that most IoT devices are unprepared for cases of disconnection often resulting in unusability as per his personal experiences. He is not against the idea of IoT though and is just disappointed at the current experience with said devices.

My thoughts:
I'm personally averse to IoT devices... Especially with all the black hats and script kiddies out there... If anything I'd like the stuff inside my house aside from my computers and my phones to be connected...

also who the f*ck needs a bottle that reminds them to take a drink!?

I love Vice Motherboard, they always give relevant news stories. I agree with you, based on all the black hats, it's kind of a bad idea.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

I think something it works for like the Nest. However I don't want my fridge keeping track of what I eat.

I think something it works for like the Nest. However I don't want my fridge keeping track of what I eat.

What about that toilet that contacts your doctor??

http://singularityhub.com/2009/05/12/smart-toilets-doctors-in-your-bathroom/

It does have its benefits such as detecting weird things that could be a sign of cancer

Plot twist: It's connected to WebMD...

I've spotted a few digital billboards and 'smart' mall info terminals that got blue-screened at opening and never got fixed throughout the day...

Plot twist: It's connected to WebMD...

I've spotted a few digital billboards and 'smart' mall info terminals that got blue-screened at opening and never got fixed throughout the day...

Then we are all going to think we are dying.

Call me old fashioned, but i dont like the idea that everything from my fridge, thermostat etc is connected.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Call me old fashioned, but i dont like the idea that everything from my fridge, thermostat etc is connected.

Agreed, especially considering security on these things are crap right now

I don't like the internet of things, I like my current non spying things, I don't need my toaster telling the NSA I like my toast extra crispy

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

The IoT is pretty crap right now, we're going to have to wait a few years (decades?) more for it to be "good enough".

As it stands now most IoT devices are pretty much a gimmick.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.