Deciding between Acer XB271HU and X34

SuicideAnomaly

So, like many people that visit this part of the forum, I find myself in the predicament of trying to decide between monitors. At this point, I'm trying to pick between the Acer XB271HU, and the Acer Predator X34. I use my PC for pretty much everything, so this is a tricky decision. I imagine I would appreciate the immersion of the X34 (when supported), but fear that I would struggle to maintain respectable FPS for games in the coming years, even with 980Tis in SLI. I'm also somewhat concerned about the support for movies, and the like. If you were in my situation, which would you go with, and why?

Also, I'm aware that Asus has similar offerings, but I'm not fond of their customer service, nor do I want to pay "Asus tax."

I'm going to go for the x34 because the panel is made by LG and not AUO who makes the xb271hu and expect a better quality panel from LG based on reviews.  Also I'll be coming from a 27" 60hz 1920x1080p standard Viewsonic.  I'm looking for a wow factor.  Getting the same size would not be impressive to me even at a higher resolution.  G-sync will help with lower frames and I've seen reviews where a 980ti does fine with most games at 3440x1440p which is still less than 4K and should be just a little harder to run than 2560x1440p.  Remember we still do far better on the PC than the consoles with recent games such as Fallout 4 and Just Cause 3.

I've been following these threads on Overclock.net for a while. 

http://www.overclock.net/t/1581181/acer-xb271hu-share-your-experience-and-show-pics

http://www.overclock.net/t/1537403/tftcentral-acer-predator-xr341ck-34-curved-gaming-screen-with-g-sync/5910

http://www.overclock.net/t/1573121/acer-predator-x34-displays-show-your-images-or-experience-here/670

and the Acer forum

http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Discussions/MULTIPLE-Problems-with-New-X34/td-p/390434/page/77

The one issue that has not been addressed by Acer on the X34 is the scan lines issue which seems to be directly linked to G-sync and or the g-sync module.  It is possible to get a x34 without the scan lines so I'll just be hoping my monitor does not have them.  I'd prefer to wait for Asus but it looks like a long time.  Just read on reddit that the ROG pg348q may get just a paper launch in Jan. and who knows when it will actually ship and then you have to wait for user reviews to see what problems it may have.  However if I have to RMA 2 X34's then I will have to wait for Asus to see what happens with it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/

I also use my computer for everything, don't own a TV. 

CPU i7 4790 | Motherboard  ASUS Z97 Maximus Hero VII | RAM 16 GB Trident X @ 2400 Mhz | GPU Titan X | Case NZXT Phantom 530 | Storage Samsung EVO 840 1 TB SSD, 2 Seagate 150 GB HDD, 1 External 3 GB Seagate HDD | PSU Corsair HX 1050 | Cooling Zalman Copper 2 ball | Keyboard  Logitech G710+ | Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound: Creative Z | Operating System  Windows 10

I'm going to go for the x34 because the panel is made by LG and not AUO who makes the xb271hu and expect a better quality panel from LG based on reviews.  Also I'll be coming from a 27" 60hz 1920x1080p standard Viewsonic.  I'm looking for a wow factor.  Getting the same size would not be impressive to me even at a higher resolution.  G-sync will help with lower frames and I've seen reviews where a 980ti does fine with most games at 3440x1440p which is still less than 4K and should be just a little harder to run than 2560x1440p.  Remember we still do far better on the PC than the consoles with recent games such as Fallout 4 and Just Cause 3.

I've been following these threads on Overclock.net for a while. 

http://www.overclock.net/t/1581181/acer-xb271hu-share-your-experience-and-show-pics

http://www.overclock.net/t/1537403/tftcentral-acer-predator-xr341ck-34-curved-gaming-screen-with-g-sync/5910

http://www.overclock.net/t/1573121/acer-predator-x34-displays-show-your-images-or-experience-here/670

and the Acer forum

http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Discussions/MULTIPLE-Problems-with-New-X34/td-p/390434/page/77

The one issue that has not been addressed by Acer on the X34 is the scan lines issue which seems to be directly linked to G-sync and or the g-sync module.  It is possible to get a x34 without the scan lines so I'll just be hoping my monitor does not have them.  I'd prefer to wait for Asus but it looks like a long time.  Just read on reddit that the ROG pg348q may get just a paper launch in Jan. and who knows when it will actually ship and then you have to wait for user reviews to see what problems it may have.  However if I have to RMA 2 X34's then I will have to wait for Asus to see what happens with it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/

I also use my computer for everything, don't own a TV. 

Thanks, for the response.

The only thing that's really keeping me from going with the x34, is that media consumption can be hit or miss. I just wish that Netflix and the like supported the ratio natively. Then it would be a no-brainer, for me.

Thanks, for the response.

The only thing that's really keeping me from going with the x34, is that media consumption can be hit or miss. I just wish that Netflix and the like supported the ratio natively. Then it would be a no-brainer, for me.

The thing I'm counting on is using the Chrome widescreen fix extension/add on.   TV's are getting so cheap I might buy one just for Netflix streaming.

CPU i7 4790 | Motherboard  ASUS Z97 Maximus Hero VII | RAM 16 GB Trident X @ 2400 Mhz | GPU Titan X | Case NZXT Phantom 530 | Storage Samsung EVO 840 1 TB SSD, 2 Seagate 150 GB HDD, 1 External 3 GB Seagate HDD | PSU Corsair HX 1050 | Cooling Zalman Copper 2 ball | Keyboard  Logitech G710+ | Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound: Creative Z | Operating System  Windows 10

Unfortunately, I've heard that that extension doesn't always give the desired results. The woes of being an early adopter.

I would not get both, they both have many issues, I would look them up, some of them are major issues. I would wait for the ASUS PG348Q or Samsung 21.9 monitor (might be Freesyc) then decide on what you want to buy

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

I guess you've been living under a rock for the past month if you havent heard about the terrible quality control issues the x34 has been plagued with?

I would not get both, they both have many issues, I would look them up, some of them are major issues. I would wait for the ASUS PG348Q or Samsung 21.9 monitor (might be Freesyc) then decide on what you want to buy

If the recent ROG monitor is any indication of what to expect, it'll be an easy pass.

The x34 isn't the only top tier monitor plagued with issues *cough ASUS PG279Q cough*. This isnt even an Acer vs ASUS issue with me as I dont care about brands;I buy what works and gives me the results I want. Also, as a 2nd gen X34 owner, mine came out the gate perfect. Not a single problem. So I think all the x34 head hunters out there need to take a deep breath and calm down a bit. It's really not that serious. If you decide on what you want and have the money to get it, then go get it. If it has problems, return it. It's literally as simple as that. Hope this post actually helps.

The x34 isn't the only top tier monitor plagued with issues *cough ASUS PG279Q cough*. This isnt even an Acer vs ASUS issue with me as I dont care about brands;I buy what works and gives me the results I want. Also, as a 2nd gen X34 owner, mine came out the gate perfect. Not a single problem. So I think all the x34 head hunters out there need to take a deep breath and calm down a bit. It's really not that serious. If you decide on what you want and have the money to get it, then go get it. If it has problems, return it. It's literally as simple as that. Hope this post actually helps.

How are you liking your x34? Like yourself, I'm not so much concerned with brands, as long as the product delivers. Although, that isn't exactly true, as I wish to avoid Asus because of past experiences.

I guess you've been living under a rock for the past month if you havent heard about the terrible quality control issues the x34 has been plagued with?

Not true.  I linked those forum threads on the Acer x34.  I have been following them for 2 months now and was the reason I posted them for the OP.   Yes I know it was recalled both for blue banding and the wake from sleep issue.  I don't buy anything until I know everything about it.   However it seems Acer has fixed the WFS and banding issues and the one outstanding issue is the scan line issue which some people have and some people don't.  Seems to be a mixed bag between ACER and ASUS.   The ASUS may just be a paper launch in Jan and who knows when we will get it.  I've posted back to Metros who seems to have some contact with JJ but it's anybody's guess as to when it will actually arrive and for what price.  If I don't get a good x34 on the first and or second try then I'll go for the ASUS.   I've just been waiting and watching for so long I just want to finally buy one of these (Acer or ASUS).  

I've also followed the ROG pg279q and the ACER xb271hu and of those two would choose the ACER because of the better way Acer secures the panel there is less chance of backlight bleed over the Asus.

How are you liking your x34? Like yourself, I'm not so much concerned with brands, as long as the product delivers. Although, that isn't exactly true, as I wish to avoid Asus because of past experiences.

I absolutely love it.  Hands down worth every penny.  Games are smooth and the colors look gorgeous.  I have tons of space for multitasking. The look of the monitor is nice and the light bar under the monitor is a really nice touch without being overpowering. I honestly can't recommend this monitor enough.

If the recent ROG monitor is any indication of what to expect, it'll be an easy pass.

You need to look at the ASUS PG27AQ, as the PG279Q is using AU Optronics (ACER) panel. That is why it has such bad backlight bleed, IPS glow and some dead pixels. So you cannot really say the ASUS PG279Q, as it is the panel that is the problem.

If you look at the PG27AQ, that monitor is doing well at the moment.

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

Not true.  I linked those forum threads on the Acer x34.  I have been following them for 2 months now and was the reason I posted them for the OP.   Yes I know it was recalled both for blue banding and the wake from sleep issue.  I don't buy anything until I know everything about it.   However it seems Acer has fixed the WFS and banding issues and the one outstanding issue is the scan line issue which some people have and some people don't.  Seems to be a mixed bag between ACER and ASUS.   The ASUS may just be a paper launch in Jan and who knows when we will get it.  I've posted back to Metros who seems to have some contact with JJ but it's anybody's guess as to when it will actually arrive and for what price.  If I don't get a good x34 on the first and or second try then I'll go for the ASUS.   I've just been waiting and watching for so long I just want to finally buy one of these (Acer or ASUS).  

I've also followed the ROG pg279q and the ACER xb271hu and of those two would choose the ACER because of the better way Acer secures the panel there is less chance of backlight bleed over the Asus.

JJ's Mother is in hospital at the moment, so do not expect a response soon.

You need to look at the ASUS PG27AQ, as the PG279Q is using AU Optronics (ACER) panel. That is why it has such bad backlight bleed, IPS glow and some dead pixels. So you cannot really say the ASUS PG279Q, as it is the panel that is the problem.

If you look at the PG27AQ, that monitor is doing well at the moment.

Metro, you are literally one of the most daft people I've ever encountered. The panel is created by AU optronics, but again as many people have already told you and proven, every company is responsible for their own quality control. Asus is responsible for their OWN qc. If Ford makes a car and it has an engine problem or something wrong with another part nobody goes freaking out at the company that made the part, they go back to Ford. So quit with your ridiculous witch hunt hard on for Acer and deal with it. Asus is just as responsible for shipping out bum monitors as Acer/Samsung/LG/etc. Now quit acting like a child.

Each company makes quality monitors when the monitor doesn't have defects.

So, like many people that visit this part of the forum, I find myself in the predicament of trying to decide between monitors. At this point, I'm trying to pick between the Acer XB271HU, and the Acer Predator X34. I use my PC for pretty much everything, so this is a tricky decision. I imagine I would appreciate the immersion of the X34 (when supported), but fear that I would struggle to maintain respectable FPS for games in the coming years, even with 980Tis in SLI. I'm also somewhat concerned about the support for movies, and the like. If you were in my situation, which would you go with, and why?

Also, I'm aware that Asus has similar offerings, but I'm not fond of their customer service, nor do I want to pay "Asus tax."

As someone coming from the PG279Q (went through two of them) and currently have a XB271HU coming in a few days. I had the same question about the Acer X34 and Asus version. My opinion is for the price you pay for I don't think its worth it. Hell I don't think the new IPS gsync monitors are worth $800, but its all we have to choose from right now and I'm tired of my 23" TN Asus. It's not even LED back lit ya its old!

So again my opinion would be to wait until ultrawide's mature even more for the gaming market. 100Hz is great but I think once 120Hz ultrawides come out for 3440x1440 resolution. It's going to be a game changer. Response times will get better for the 1ms nerds and hopefully future monitors will come with both freesync and gsync. Also OLED being right around the corner too coming in 2017 confirmed by LG themselves. Also even though its getting better by the day. Support for games on 21:9 is still struggling. Fallout 4 being one of them and even though there is work around with editing ini files and installing mods. Not all people want to do that, they just wanna launch the game pick their resolution and forget it. 

Bottom line. I'll be waiting for 

3440x1440

OLED

Gsync & FreeSync

120Hz+

Slim bezels 

Sleek non gamer design (no gloss)

Godlike quality control

That is something I'd pay $1300 for, not these beta monitors.

im talking about dead pixels, some monitors not even getting to 100hz really bad backlight bleed general random issues etc...

As someone coming from the PG279Q (went through two of them) and currently have a XB271HU coming in a few days. I had the same question about the Acer X34 and Asus version. My opinion is for the price you pay for I don't think its worth it. Hell I don't think the new IPS gsync monitors are worth $800, but its all we have to choose from right now and I'm tired of my 23" TN Asus. It's not even LED back lit ya its old!

So again my opinion would be to wait until ultrawide's mature even more for the gaming market. 100Hz is great but I think once 120Hz ultrawides come out for 3440x1440 resolution. It's going to be a game changer. Response times will get better for the 1ms nerds and hopefully future monitors will come with both freesync and gsync. Also OLED being right around the corner too coming in 2017 confirmed by LG themselves. Also even though its getting better by the day. Support for games on 21:9 is still struggling. Fallout 4 being one of them and even though there is work around with editing ini files and installing mods. Not all people want to do that, they just wanna launch the game pick their resolution and forget it. 

Bottom line. I'll be waiting for 

3440x1440

OLED

Gsync & FreeSync

120Hz+

Slim bezels 

Sleek non gamer design (no gloss)

Godlike quality control

That is something I'd pay $1300 for, not these beta monitors.

I imagine I would be quite content with 100Hz, as I'm coming from 60. Although, the jump to 144+ would be mind-boggling.

I'm actually okay with some games not supporting ultrawides, as black bars on the sides wouldn't bother me. It's Netflix not supporting 21:9 natively that would probably irk the hell out of me.

Why, oh why, couldn't Dells gaming panel be IPS?!

I imagine I would be quite content with 100Hz, as I'm coming from 60. Although, the jump to 144+ would be mind-boggling.

I'm actually okay with some games not supporting ultrawides, as black bars on the sides wouldn't bother me. It's Netflix not supporting 21:9 natively that would probably irk the hell out of me.

Why, oh why, couldn't Dells gaming panel be IPS?!

I can see what you're saying with Netflix but Honestly, I just open a Netflix window and scale it to what I feel is comfortable and it doesn't bother me at all.  The jump from 100-144 was nowhere near noticeable for me honestly.  I had a 144hz panel before the X34 and I can visually see no difference as I had them side by side.  On that note though, I may not be that sensitive to that change.  Now the jump from 60-100, yeah buddy, that's a huge change.

Metro, you are literally one of the most daft people I've ever encountered. The panel is created by AU optronics, but again as many people have already told you and proven, every company is responsible for their own quality control. Asus is responsible for their OWN qc. If Ford makes a car and it has an engine problem or something wrong with another part nobody goes freaking out at the company that made the part, they go back to Ford. So quit with your ridiculous witch hunt hard on for Acer and deal with it. Asus is just as responsible for shipping out bum monitors as Acer/Samsung/LG/etc. Now quit acting like a child.

Each company makes quality monitors when the monitor doesn't have defects.

Stop trying to cause an argument this was already discussed and you are bringing it up again. AU Optronics (ACER) make the panel, it is awful. ASUS has to use it as no other company makes the panel. Therefore ASUS cannot do anything about it. Also AU Optronics cannot make many decent panels so ASUS will keep getting terrible panels. Just look at other ASUS monitors not from AU Optronics panels. You will notice they are better

So I will use my example, if Corsair's keyboard had a critical failure after 6 months, that was due to Cherry's keys, which stopped working for a large number of Corsair keyboards. Who's fault would it be, Corsair's or Cherry's. It would be Cherry's fault as they make the keys for Corsair.

Anyway, do not buy the ACER Predator X34 Anomaly, it has so many issues. Look online and you will notice how many there are on the monitor. Wait for the ASUS PG348Q or the Samsung monitor, then decide which monitor you want.

Stop trying to cause an argument this was already discussed and you are bringing it up again. AU Optronics (ACER) make the panel, it is awful. ASUS has to use it as no other company makes the panel. Therefore ASUS cannot do anything about it. Also AU Optronics cannot make many decent panels so ASUS will keep getting terrible panels. Just look at other ASUS monitors not from AU Optronics panels. You will notice they are better

So I will use my example, if Corsair's keyboard had a critical failure after 6 months, that was due to Cherry's keys, which stopped working for a large number of Corsair keyboards. Who's fault would it be, Corsair's or Cherry's. It would be Cherry's fault as they make the keys for Corsair.

Anyway, do not buy the ACER Predator X34 Anomaly, it has so many issues. Look online and you will notice how many there are on the monitor. Wait for the ASUS PG348Q or the Samsung monitor, then decide which monitor you want.

Again, you seem to lack the point and even a very basic understanding of business. So I'll say it slowly. ASUS. Is. Responsible. For. Their. Quality. Control. Despite what vendor they get their parts from to assemble THEIR monitors. They assemble the monitor, put their name on it, and THEY are responsible for testing their products. Several people have explained this to you and you keep running back to "waaah it's Acers fault." It's up to Asus to take the issue with bad panels to AU since it's their vendor for the panel. So yes, you are correct that this was brought up in another discussion, but since you so ignorantly just hop into every thread about an Acer product spouting nonsense, I'm going to post to prove your illogical thinking to be incorrect. Even in your own example, Corsair would be held accountable for the bad keyboards Metro. I think you need to go learn a bit about how business, manufacturing, and distribution works.

The reason I know this is because I'm an IT Systems Administrator for a distribution company. So please, feel free to continue to argue your illogical points and speak without knowing.

Again, you seem to lack the point and even a very basic understanding of business. So I'll say it slowly. ASUS. Is. Responsible. For. Their. Quality. Control. Despite what vendor they get their parts from to assemble THEIR monitors. They assemble the monitor, put their name on it, and THEY are responsible for testing their products. Several people have explained this to you and you keep running back to "waaah it's Acers fault." It's up to Asus to take the issue with bad panels to AU since it's their vendor for the panel. So yes, you are correct that this was brought up in another discussion, but since you so ignorantly just hop into every thread about an Acer product spouting nonsense, I'm going to post to prove your illogical thinking to be incorrect. Even in your own example, Corsair would be held accountable for the bad keyboards Metro. I think you need to go learn a bit about how business, manufacturing, and distribution works.

The reason I know this is because I'm an IT Systems Administrator for a distribution company. So please, feel free to continue to argue your illogical points and speak without knowing.

I will not argue with you any more, as it becomes pointless, due to your lack of knowledge.

"Spouting nonsense" all the issues are online, you might want to look at them. Also you cannot say "ASUS will have the same problems" as the problems are not with the panel. It was ACER's QC, which is why they managed to fix the sleeping issue. Still got another 6 issues to fix now.

Corsair would not get the blame, you seem to lack knowledge. If the Cherry keys stopped working in many Corsair keyboards and it was found out Cherry's production line was to blame, then of course Corsair would get the blame for the keyboard. However people with a lack of knowledge would blame Corsair but the real reason was Cherry's fault. The same applies to the ASUS PG279Q

If you actually look at my system specs, you will notice I have no ASUS products within my system. I just think ASUS make much better monitors than ACER and I am not sure why people recommend the ACER Predator X34 when it has so many issues.

Anomaly, just wait for the ASUS PG348Q then decide which one you want.

I will not argue with you any more, as it becomes pointless, due to your lack of knowledge.

"Spouting nonsense" all the issues are online, you might want to look at them. Also you cannot say "ASUS will have the same problems" as the problems are not with the panel. It was ACER's QC, which is why they managed to fix the sleeping issue. Still got another 6 issues to fix now.

Corsair would not get the blame, you seem to lack knowledge. If the Cherry keys stopped working in many Corsair keyboards and it was found out Cherry's production line was to blame, then of course Corsair would get the blame for the keyboard. However people with a lack of knowledge would blame Corsair but the real reason was Cherry's fault. The same applies to the ASUS PG279Q

If you actually look at my system specs, you will notice I have no ASUS products within my system. I just think ASUS make much better monitors than ACER and I am not sure why people recommend the ACER Predator X34 when it has so many issues.

Anomaly, just wait for the ASUS PG348Q then decide which one you want.

Metro, I don't care if you do not have any ASUS products.  I'm quite aware of the "issues" with the monitor as I own one.  I, much like everyone else spending this amount of money on equipment will have done the proper research about the product.  You are correct that this was Acers bad quality control that screwed up with the X34.  The issues with the ASUS monitors, are a result of ASUS' poor quality control.  One thing I do agree with you on is that there's no point in continuing an intelligent conversation with you as you're obviously ill-equipped.  I have first hand knowledge of how distribution and quality control actually works in the real world and not in Metro land.  Plus with your "nah uhh, you are" retort, there's obviously nothing left to talk about.  Other people have explained this to you as well and you're clearly lacking in the ability to admit you were wrong or in the fact that you clearly have no idea how business actually works.  

Can confirm. Went through two PG279Q's Asus is not what they used to be. Currently have an XB271HU on the way.