Push/Pull Useful or Redundant?

JujuShinobi

I'm planning on getting a Xigmatek Dark Knight II CPU cooler in push pull with 2 AP123s. I was wondering if getting the extra fan is worth the cost or is just one AP123 more than enough?

It's up to you. You'll likely see a 5 degree or so difference. Maybe up to 8 or 9 degrees. Is that worth it to you?

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

It's up to you. You'll likely see a 5 degree or so difference. Maybe up to 8 or 9 degrees. Is that worth it to you?

In a hot and humid country like Singapore? It probably is...

As long as you get some resistance in the middle thats when Push/Pull is useful.

Main: AMD Athlon X4 750K| Coolermaster Hyper TX3 EVO | Gigabyte GA-F2A75M-HD2 | 8GB Kingston 1333mhz | WD Caviar Green 1tb | Coolermaster N200 | OCZ coreXstream 500w | Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB | |Kingston 3k ssd 128gb |

Usually push pull is not all that effective, but if you live in a place like singapore I would go for it.

How different is Dark Knight to Gaia? Looks like only color and fan are different. Gaia is $25, you might consider getting it. Only difference is dark ceramic coating and transparent fan lol.

That's quite drastic. It's probably 1-2 degrees if anything. Push/pull will only help if the single fan wasn't enough to properly push air through the fins in the first place.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

That's quite drastic. It's probably 1-2 degrees if anything. Push/pull will only help if the single fan wasn't enough to properly push air through the fins in the first place.

Agreed. I did a fair bit of research on the matter just beforehand and saw the average temp difference for that heatsink is 3.4 degrees. Dependent on the fans being used of course

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

How different is Dark Knight to Gaia? Looks like only color and fan are different. Gaia is $25, you might consider getting it. Only difference is dark ceramic coating and transparent fan lol.

The reason I want it is because it is black and not half bad. Side panel windows =)

Another fan isn't really worth it, it is only a thin heatsink. Another fan will help direct hot air towards your rear-exhaust fan though, but the 5C max difference in temps when the CPU is loaded really doesn't mean much for everyday use.

Another fan isn't really worth it, it is only a thin heatsink. Another fan will help direct hot air towards your rear-exhaust fan though, but the 5C max difference in temps when the CPU is loaded really doesn't mean much for everyday use.

Thanks for the input mate. Although, symmetry man, can't have enough of it

Not worth the extra noise in my opinion. Sure you'll get better temps but they are probably going to be like 3C.