Trump Clarifies Position On ‘Shutting Down’ Parts Of The Internet

Woah, so he views on China and Russia, but not North Korea. GG. 

It always bothers me that no one brings up North Korea. That shit needs to end. China needs to stop funding and backing them.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Sorry, but it's part of my job to maintain accuracy and objectivity. The title was biased and therefore I edited it. This has nothing to do with freedom of expression, but rather the image the forum is putting out with these titles.

If people actually read shit, they'd know where it came from.

Oh and by the way, if you're going to pull the 'PR' crap, you've got a massive job to do with all the shitposters and fanboys on here.

Edit: And besides, if you read the article, you'd know it's less of a clarification from Trump and more an explanation/opinion by Yiannopoulos. So I'd say the original title is more accurate. Perhaps a "Milo Yiannopoulos: Here's Why Trump..." sort of title would be more accurate.

Not really, laying down copper/fiber is surprisingly cheap, and even if it takes 6-12 months that is still pretty fast.

... For a government. ISIS isn't a government. They're a group of ex-soldiers and wannabe soldiers in a losing battle with dwindling resources. They can't set that shit up - I guarantee it.

Plus, they're too busy lopping off heads and having intense relations with a certain consumer of grass and laundry to set anything decent up. (I.e. they're too disorganised for anything constructive)

Key word, if they know. 

And I use a "Free VPN", and they are usually more secure than what you may think. Just gotta know where to look to find the good ones. There are a lot of people out there devoted to a "Free and open internet", and those people are the ones that set these things up.

You missed my point. If you're not paying for it, they have to make their money. Whether it be through advertising or selling your information, you're fucked if they're not funding it through another business they own.

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

Interesting how y'all cry "freedom of speech" and rail against "political correctness" the moment somebody asks you to stop being racist but you're unwilling to defend it when it's something you're against. Just sayin'.

Since none of you are, I will defend to my death the right of the people to access whatever information they want. It's none of my business what the hell you're doing with the internet, as long as it's not illegal. Think for a moment the disastrous consequences of censoring all traffic from an entire country let alone the slippery slope this could lead to. What if there are rebels trying to communicate over the internet with supporters in the US? What if there's vital information out there that will be censored from all view were this to happen? What about Syrians running blogs? Why should we let a megalomaniac authoritarian control our internet? These are serious questions, and I ask you to consider them seriously.

Donald Trump is a fascist, plain and simple. (Ted Cruz is as well, but he's currently riding Trump's coattails.) He says he'll do something impossible, when asked how, his reply frequently takes some form of "It will work because I am great." This is not the kind of cult of personality we as technologists, as hackers, and as Americans should be endorsing. These are obvious signs of fascism. Down this road lies authoritarianism, and I hope that we all understand that that's not a road we want to be on. Seriously, vote for anyone but Donald Trump or Ted Cruz. Vote for Rubio, vote for Bush, vote for Rand Paul (now there's an idea!) but please don't hand our country over to Donald "I'm awesome because I'm rich" Trump.

Be careful what you wish for, you're not going to get a second chance.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

The wall/fence isn't his idea, Congress passed a law to build one several years ago, the current administration and the last one have been dawdling around and not getting it done.

*edit

Yes I mean 'law' not a suggestion a bill that Bush signed into law, but even Bush didn't move on it quickly only a portion of it was started under Bushes second term but hardly to any affect.

A wall is quite different from a fence, and Trump was very explicit that he wanted a proper wall that would be a serious barrier.

The 2006 decision was to erect up to 700 miles of fences. Construction stopped in 2010 due to cost overruns.

Also, Trump wants the Mexicans to pay for the wall. How likely is it they're going to do so? The US can't even afford to build a fence along parts of the border, how are the Mexicans going to afford this vastly more expensive project?

It's just ridiculous, just like his Great Firewall fantasy.

Interesting how y'all cry "freedom of speech" and rail against "political correctness" the moment somebody asks you to stop being racist but you're unwilling to defend it when it's something you're against. Just sayin'.

Since none of you are, I will defend to my death the right of the people to access whatever information they want. It's none of my business what the hell you're doing with the internet, as long as it's not illegal. 

Incitements to violence are illegal in most of the western world (in the US at least). Although I agree with your sentiment.

You missed my point. If you're not paying for it, they have to make their money. Whether it be through advertising or selling your information, you're fucked if they're not funding it through another business they own.

And you missed mine. They will get it. One way or another. It doesn't have to be secure, it just has to work if it's encrypted like I do mine. They exist, just look up free VPN. It will take you 15 seconds to find. 

Re-read my post to find the other ways they can get around it. Also, are you not going to address the point where I say that people in China are getting around the firewall? Is that not proof enough for you?

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

All of these craps ruin my brain. This is why i don't care government anymore, they are the one that bring us more harms than goods. All of what Donald thinking is war like seriously dude? Our economy  sucks ass and you want to start a war with another country. 

I agree with your sentiment.

No you don't:

Cut ALL the lines to that country. Literally, ALL of the lines to Syria (and wherever else they have control of). Not just the lines between the West and ISIS, but the lines between ISIS and literally the entire world.

"Incitements to violence are illegal in most of the western world (in the US at least)."

I'm aware, though it's made pretty clear in the OP that it's not for explicit censorship, it's for broad censorship, which is the worst kind.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

A wall is quite different from a fence, and Trump was very explicit that he wanted a proper wall that would be a serious barrier.

The 2006 decision was to erect up to 700 miles of fences. Construction stopped in 2010 due to cost overruns.

Also, Trump wants the Mexicans to pay for the wall. How likely is it they're going to do so? The US can't even afford to build a fence along parts of the border, how are the Mexicans going to afford this vastly more expensive project?

It's just ridiculous, just like his Great Firewall fantasy.

True,

and yeah it is ridiculous for an actual wall to be erected. The thing about Mexico paying for it has some . . . . merit but it will never happen.

Sorry if I sounded argumentative, I didn't mean too, I was intending on just adding info.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

And you missed mine. They will get it. One way or another. It doesn't have to be secure, it just has to work if it's encrypted like I do mine. They exist, just look up free VPN. It will take you 15 seconds to find. 

Re-read my post to find the other ways they can get around it. Also, are you not going to address the point where I say that people in China are getting around the firewall? Is that not proof enough for you?

None of what you said, in any way suggested that we shouldn't try. As I previously stated, hampering enemy communications is an age old tactic, and one that often has at least some effect. Even if they can get around it eventually, it still takes them some amount of time. And then they have to do it all over again when you are on to them.

That's the nature of combat. One person does one thing to stop the other person from doing something, the other person adapts, and so on and so forth. It doesn't mean you just give up.

This is we are the laughing stock of the world. Trump has the reasoning skills of a 2yr old and there are people saying he would make a great president.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

As a non american, I'm praying that the US government realizes how fucked there about to get, so they throw some legislation through nice and quick before election day that allows presidents to serve a third term. Then have Obama run as a independent and give a Big Fuck you to Trump and Hillary.

Since none of you are, I will defend to my death the right of the people to access whatever information they want. It's none of my business what the hell you're doing with the internet, as long as it's not illegal. Think for a moment the disastrous consequences of censoring all traffic from an entire country let alone the slippery slope this could lead to. What if there are rebels trying to communicate over the internet with supporters in the US? What if there's vital information out there that will be censored from all view were this to happen? What about Syrians running blogs? Why should we let a megalomaniac authoritarian control our internet? These are serious questions, and I ask you to consider them seriously.

Donald Trump is a fascist, plain and simple. (Ted Cruz is as well, but he's currently riding Trump's coattails.) He says he'll do something impossible, when asked how, his reply frequently takes some form of "It will work because I am great." This is not the kind of cult of personality we as technologists, as hackers, and as Americans should be endorsing. These are obvious signs of fascism. Down this road lies authoritarianism, and I hope that we all understand that that's not a road we want to be on. Seriously, vote for anyone but Donald Trump or Ted Cruz. Vote for Rubio, vote for Bush, vote for Rand Paul (now there's an idea!) but please don't hand our country over to Donald "I'm awesome because I'm rich" Trump.

Be careful what you wish for, you're not going to get a second chance.

"As long as it's not illegal"

So you don't think recruiting idiots from the west into an Islamic death cult is illegal?

There's a massive difference between censoring 'hate speech' and stopping ISIS from recruiting.

Edit: Should address more of your point. Yes, some things that don't need to be cut off will. But like Trump said, most of the Internet infrastructure is owned and used by the US. In a free world, they should be allowed to decide who they deal with and who they don't.

As I said, they can try, but I don't think it's going to work well for them.

I don't know much about China, but I don't think the circumstances are the same from what I see. I would say the US is much better equipped Internet-wise than China.

Edited by SpaghettiCarbonara

None of what you said, in any way suggested that we shouldn't try. As I previously stated, hampering enemy communications is an age old tactic, and one that often has at least some effect. Even if they can get around it eventually, it still takes them some amount of time. And then they have to do it all over again when you are on to them.

That's the nature of combat. One person does one thing to stop the other person from doing something, the other person adapts, and so on and so forth. It doesn't mean you just give up.

God, if you people would read what I say we could avoid all this. I am saying what trump is advocating for is useless. It won't even hinder them. I am NOT saying to stop all efforts, but not to do what trump is advocating for. There are other, much more effective ways of doing this, especially with how they set up their communications. Just ask those anonymous members who hacked into ISIS communications and gave the info to the gov't.

Building China's wall is just... No.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

God, if you people would read what I say we could avoid all this. I am saying what trump is advocating for is useless. It won't even hinder them. I am NOT saying to stop all efforts, but not to do what trump is advocating for. There are other, much more effective ways of doing this, especially with how they set up their communications. Just ask those anonymous members who hacked into ISIS communications and gave the info to the gov't.

Building China's wall is just... No.

I agree with you there. My suggestion was to blow up Syria's internet infrastructure and jam satellite and wireless signals (into and out of Syria). How feasible that is, I do not know. I am not familiar with that kind of tech, although I do know that such things exist.

Actual, physical isolation. Not just software BS because that can always be bypassed.

That's fine, but Trump didn't clarify anything, Milo did. This is important because Milo is fairly smart, enough to do the apologizing and rationalizing on his behalf (better than virtually all other Trump supporters anyway) but I seriously doubt Trump has the technical knowledge for this finer point and he probably did meant "Fuck all Jihad stuff" referring to websites and such not geo blocking.

So in short, if you want a conservative to win, you should probably support Milo instead of Trump #MiloForPresident

-------

Current Rig

-------

So you don't think recruiting idiots from the west into an Islamic death cult is illegal?

There's a massive difference between censoring 'hate speech' and stopping ISIS from recruiting.

As I said, they can try, but I don't think it's going to work well for them.

I don't know much about China, but I don't think the circumstances are the same from what I see. I would say the US is much better equipped Internet-wise than China.

I guarantee I can get around any firewall the gov't sets up in under 10 minutes for free without them immediately knowing what I am doing. I think you overestimate the government's intelligence and ability on the internet and underestimate everything else.

This great internet wall will not work, I know I'm talking to one, but the internet wall will be far less impenetrable.

Yes, except nobody with power is actually calling for censorship of hate speech whereas several people with lots of power are calling for broad censorship of a topic and place, the effects of which I can assure you are far worse than banning the n-word. (an act that I don't support anyway)

I'm not entirely up to date on whether or not it's legal to join a terrorist group, though signs point to no. However, it is entirely legal and possible to read about terrorist groups right now, which it might not be in the future were somebody like Trump to gain power. Not only that, but as I've highlighted before, they're being honest about the fact that this isn't a scalpel, it's a sledgehammer. How many innocent voices must be censored for dubious military gains?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

As a non american, I'm praying that the US government realizes how fucked there about to get, so they throw some legislation through nice and quick before election day that allows presidents to serve a third term. Then have Obama run as a independent and give a Big Fuck you to Trump and Hillary.

For some odd reason, it's mostly non Americans that see how good how president is.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I agree with you there. My suggestion was to blow up Syria's internet infrastructure and jam satellite and wireless signals (into and out of Syria). How feasible that is, I do not know. I am not familiar with that kind of tech, although I do know that such things exist.

Actual, physical isolation. Not just software BS because that can always be bypassed.

Good luck blowing up satellites without a global outcry.

That's fine, but Trump didn't clarify anything, Milo did. This is important because Milo is fairly smart, enough to do the apologizing and rationalizing on his behalf (better than virtually all other Trump supporters anyway) but I seriously doubt Trump has the technical knowledge for this finer point and he probably did meant "Fuck all Jihad stuff" referring to websites and such not geo blocking.

So in short, if you want a conservative to win, you should probably support Milo instead of Trump #MiloForPresident

Exactly. No one's saying Trump is particularly smart (although I like his personality and how he speaks his mind).

Edited by Godlygamer23

I'd like to see no one win. A complete deadlock or absolutely no one vote. A clear message of "stop giving us fake ass candidates who will do nothing more than make speeches and look asinine to varying degrees".

Good luck blowing up satellites without a global outcry.

I said blowing up the lines, and jamming wireless and satellites. I'm sure there's a way to prevent satellite traffic from a specific area. And if you jam the wireless from the ground, and blow up the physical lines, they've got nothing to connect to a VPN with.

I'd like to see no one win. A complete deadlock or absolutely no one vote. A clear message of "stop giving us fake ass candidates who will do nothing more than make speeches and look asinine to varying degrees".

We need less politicians. I think a few engineers should go into politics. If it comes down to it, I would be willing to eventually run if it gets bad enough.

For some odd reason, it's mostly non Americans that see how good how president is.

It's because you're in one of the reactionary cesspits of the internet. Nobody in the US actually believes most of this shit.

Exactly. No one's saying Trump is particularly smart (although I like his personality and how he speaks his mind).

The last person to speak their mind like this was Hitler. That's not Godwin, I'm dead fucking serious. Can you detach yourself from the context for a minute and look at what Trump is saying? Donald Trump would be the end of this country as we know it. An America that censors and explicitly discriminates on the basis of religion is an America that I want no part of.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /