Trump Clarifies Position On ‘Shutting Down’ Parts Of The Internet

Don't bother. None of them are willing to listen, chances are they will get into a flame fight with you, and then report your comments so they get deleted.

Modern day "liberals" are about as open minded as hardcore southern baptists.

Haha, yeah. I just cant stand when people bash when they have no idea of what he is trying to do, all get all their information from one little statement.

Intel Core i5 4590Gigabyte GA-970 Ax4 4GB DDR3 Crucial Balistix SportGigabyte Windforce GTX 970 | 3 TB of HDD | Enermax CoenusEVGA 500 Watt 80 Plus | Windows 10 | Razer Black Widow Tournament EditionLogitech G502 Proteus Core | Audio Technica M50x | Tonor BM 700 Nikon D3400 

CompTIA A+ Certified

How so?

I mean yeah, there's wireless and satellite, but there's ways for that as well.

Wireless, lay new lines, not all ISIS members live in just one place so even if you cut out a majority of them there are still some with access, them potentially invading/taking over a country with connections, etc. If there's a will, there's a way.

So you're telling me the NSA doesn't have the tools to locate VPN users? The world's gone mad!

I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is that just "disconnecting" them isn't going to do anything, since they will find ways to get access again.

Haha, yeah. I just cant stand when people bash when they have no idea of what he is trying to do, all get all their information from one little statement.

Both sides are equally guilty of that.

Both sides are pushing further and further apart, and the only result will be chaos.

Wireless, lay new lines, not all ISIS members live in just one place so even if you cut out a majority of them there are still some with access, them potentially invading/taking over a country with connections, etc. If there's a will, there's a way.

I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is that just "disconnecting" them isn't going to do anything, since they will find ways to get access again.

Keep cutting lines as needed. Any little bit of hampering in their efforts, is going to be a good thing in the long run.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

You're joking right? Trump would start world war 3 if he got into power. You might want to look at trumps views on china and Russia instead of skimming the surface of what he has said on fox news.

1) He's openly said in one of the debates that he wants to be peaceful with Russia.

2) If you actually knew anything about Trump or followed him and what he says at all you would know that Fox News is against him, and just about nothing good that he has said is aired on Fox News.

I'm getting sick and tired of all these people and their asinine statements about how Trump is going to start WWIII. If you listened to ANY of his debates you can tell that he shys away from all out war. Please educate yourself before making completely out of this world statements and assumptions on what he'd do in office.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

I know you weren't, I'm saying many of the ways of re-connecting are expensive and time-consuming for them, as Milo points out.

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

People get all this nonsense on CNN and MSMBC about how Trump is going to cause a new World War. If Trump where to act like Reagan, which is what he is trying to do, we might just have another great president. The US is in terrible need for a good president, and Political Correctness is not working.

I agree with you that we are in a massive need for a good president, but trump is not one who will fix this country. When it comes to foreign policy, trump would be the LAST person i would like to see in office. Its not just something some crappy news organizations are spreading. Its what is real. Anyway, id rather not argue about it here as its a tech forum and there are better things to do.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Got any suggestions? I just took it from the article.

About the thread specifically or titles in general?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I agree with you that we are in a massive need for a good president, but trump is not one who will fix this country. When it comes to foreign policy, trump would be the LAST person i would like to see in office. Its not just something some crappy news organizations are spreading. Its what is real. Anyway, id rather not argue about it here as its a tech forum and there are better things to do.

Fair. This is why I think Cruz is the best option. 

Intel Core i5 4590Gigabyte GA-970 Ax4 4GB DDR3 Crucial Balistix SportGigabyte Windforce GTX 970 | 3 TB of HDD | Enermax CoenusEVGA 500 Watt 80 Plus | Windows 10 | Razer Black Widow Tournament EditionLogitech G502 Proteus Core | Audio Technica M50x | Tonor BM 700 Nikon D3400 

CompTIA A+ Certified

[removed]

It's honestly a lost cause trying to reason with anyone on the internet about politics, especially in the US where the two sides of the political spectrum are growing further and further apart. I'd probably be better off closing my laptop right now while I'm not completely flustered at what people say.

Edited by Godlygamer23

Привет товарищ ))))

I don't think anything could justify what Trump wants to with the internet because it probably has nothing to do with what/how these groups use the internet to communicate.

Trump feeds into what ISIS wants which is to instill fear in to the American people and the American government so it gives them more ground to fight. Then again maybe trying to not be afraid of them could also cause an issue.

I do like Bernie Sanders but I guess I could see some of his weak points since he really only focuses on income inequality which is an issue and a shameful one but that isn't the only thing that the US faces. 

Trump has sort of taken the road of what appeals to a group of people who probably think the south should've won the civil war.

Hillary well she'll probably be like Obama, where she won't completely deliver on her promises which is why candidates probably shouldn't go and make promises.

I guess all the candidates are sort of a joke in one way or another.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Everything is just so far off base when you actually know stuff... 

So, let's put on out skeptic caps and debunk this garbage!

If you are a moron, you could interpret Donald Trump's statements in the GOP debate tonight to mean he wants to start shutting down specific websites or services on the internet. He clarified later that he was talking about geography: limiting acces to, say, Syria or wherever Islamic State is operating from.

Trump is right not only that limiting or knocking out the internet is the best way of hampering Islamic State, but also because there is at least one solution that is eminently feasible. It’s just that sneering commentators aren’t educated enough to know about it.

Those aren't mutually exclusive terms, those are essentially the same thing. Even if you don't buy that, what if they use VPNs to make it look like they are coming from a place like Germany? It simply CAN'T work the way he wants it to. It might work if they are 5, but they aren't. Youtube's Geographic Block system used to work, then society as a whole got smart. 

Let me set up a VPN.

Downloads a VPN onto phone (I have 5 on my phone right this second)

Click Connect while connected to Mobile.

VPN connects

Click Hotspot

Voila, wasn't that easy? Now everyone in the room has uninterrupted access to anywhere since they are 'in Germany'.

Any traffic intended for Islamic State, on about 95 per cent of the internet, could be redirected to the United States and then “nullrouted” — essentially, dumped into a black hole, perhaps after being analyzed by the NSA or the military. Problem solved.

Would this completely remove ISIS from the Internet? For the most part, yes. All but the most tech savvy jihadis would be gone, and while there would be plenty of ways to get around this fix they would be time consuming, expensive, technical and easy to locate.

I'm not sure what's funnier, the fact they think this will solve the issue, or the fact that you believe them. This is from US soil to ISIS. 

What are they going to do? Ban Twitter? Ban every social networking site? If you weren't aware, this is where most of their communications take place. It's safe, 'secure', and for the most part, encrypted. I'd love to see what that 95% of the internet is. I'm assuming that 5% won't be hard to find.

No, this will not solve any issue. Plain and simple.

Because BGP is a system for routing entire networks, called autonomous systems, and not for shutting off individual websites and services, and because there’s not enough room in routing tables for a lot of data entry, BGP is no good for explicit censorship. It can’t really be used as a tool to close down specific information or close discrete websites.

The fact that Trump is using a Def Con to prove his point is hilarity to the max, and if anything, disproves his position even more. 

I've been watching Def Cons since Def Con 12, and frequent the older ones. I GUARANTEE these guys have already put out how to bypass everything they put up. 

I think the only reason Trump quotes this is because it contains the words "Border", "Gateway", and "Patrol", the things Trump loves. 

The funny thing is, most BGPs are fully anonymous. I'll have to rewatch this video to make sure I'm not missing anything, but as far as I am aware, Trump is well out of his league. Need I remind him this is a "Bad Guy Convention"?

So you see, “shutting down” parts of the internet isn’t as bonkers as it first sounds. Although it requires more technical literacy than most commentators possess to understand what kind of software solutions are available and would be effective in the fight against Islamic State, that doesn’t mean Donald Trump is wrong.

But, as a nuclear option to knock out the internet connectivity of, say, a rogue terrorist state, it works just fine. Whether or not Trump wins the election, the next President of the United States should use it.

Actually, no. It is as 'bonkers' as it first sounds. It would have almost 0 effectiveness against ISIS. Even if we were to follow China's example, it would be absolutely ineffective. I recommend reading more into this and educating yourself. 

My Conclusion

In any degree, shutting any part of the internet down will be completely ineffective in the war against ISIS. A simple critical eye should be able to call BS on this. A simple VPN will completely crush any of these plans. 

Ok, let's assume it manages to be 100% effective against VPNs (Which need I remind you is 100% impossible).

Then you'd have to prevent every type of Torr-like system out there as well, which no, will not happen. People are smart, especially when going against the Gov't. 

Terrorists are fast and can change tactics on the tip of a needle. The government will always be chasing due to the simple fact of the Gov't bureaucracy and red tape. 

Doing so would be an expensive waste of time.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

It sure aint impossible, if China can do it in 206 BC, then we can do it today. Let me tell you why this plan will work. We give the Mexicans all sorts of foreign aid and support, and all they are using it for is their corrupt government. I think that Trump will be able to build that wall. 

China did not build the Great Wall in 206 BC. They built it over a span of decades, even centuries. They used literally millions of people for the project.

Ah look. Someone that's still hung up about his wall statements. That's a real shocker. If that's the worst thing you've heard come out of anyones' mouths this entire campaign season you haven't heard enough.

He's still saying it, and it's still completely retarded.

Hey mods, mind not editing my shit? It's great to know a title can make you all so upset, but at least try to protect freedom of expression.

Sorry, but it's part of my job to maintain accuracy and objectivity. The title was biased and therefore I edited it. This has nothing to do with freedom of expression, but rather the image the forum is putting out with these titles.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I know you weren't, I'm saying many of the ways of re-connecting are expensive and time-consuming for them, as Milo points out.

Not really, laying down copper/fiber is surprisingly cheap, and even if it takes 6-12 months that is still pretty fast.

Yeah, he does because he was talking about the Internet!

Yes, we are. Go and have a little fiddle with your calculator and find out how much it would cost for thousands and thousands of ISIS recruiters to buy a VPN. Yes - buy. Free VPNs don't count because they're not entirely secure (because of 'you are the product', yada yada yada..). It's expensive and these are third-world countries they live in. In addition, do you honestly think any good VPN provider would service ISIS recruiters if they knew?

Key word, if they know. 

And I use a "Free VPN", and they are usually more secure than what you may think. Just gotta know where to look to find the good ones. There are a lot of people out there devoted to a "Free and open internet", and those people are the ones that set these things up.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

I guess all the candidates are sort of a joke in one way or another.

Absolutely.

The false dichotomy between democrat and republican is becoming ever more apparent.

Not really, laying down copper/fiber is surprisingly cheap, and even if it takes 6-12 months that is still pretty fast.

And can they afford to keep doing it, when we keep blowing them up (as they build it, and even if they manage to get it rebuilt)? Also, wireless and satellite traffic can be jammed, albeit not easily.

Taking out lines of enemy communication are an age old tactic that always proves effect to some extent, although it's never 100% effective. You can't win a war with a single tactic. You win by attacking on every front possible, with as many tactics as possible.

Study how impossible his idea of a wall along the Mexican border is, then. The idiot even says he wants Mexico to pay for it. :lol:

The wall/fence isn't his idea, Congress passed a law to build one several years ago, the current administration and the last one have been dawdling around and not getting it done.

*edit

Yes I mean 'law' not a suggestion a bill that Bush signed into law, but even Bush didn't move on it quickly only a portion of it was started under Bushes second term but hardly to any affect.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I agree with you in that I think if Trump does get elected into presidency he definitely won't be able to take on foreign policy by himself. He just doesn't have experience with foreign stuff. He'll need to have a fantastic cabinet behind him that can kind of assist him on foreign issues.

You can tell in debates that he's wary on speaking about war because he probably knows he's not in a position to talk about it like he knows exactly what he's talking about... if that makes sense?

If he's smart enough to talk his way into becoming the president, I'm sure he's smart enough to pick out a cabinet to provide some useful advising on foreign policy.

Привет товарищ ))))

Lines to US get cut: set up VPN in country with lines to yours, which also happens to have lines connecting to the US.

"Trumped" the trump

I think he meant cutting the fiber cables literally; which in and of itself is kinda crazy since it would affect SO many more people than just  isis

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Key word, if they know.

Trump could just force them all to employ tons of staff to check every single VPN customer. Problem solved! :P

Trump could just force them all to employ tons of staff to check every single VPN customer. Problem solved! :P

We're talking international companies. So while I'm almost certain I sense sarcasm, I will address it to ensure this isn't taken as a victory by the "Pro Internet Blockade" people.

I agree with you in that I think if Trump does get elected into presidency he definitely won't be able to take on foreign policy by himself. He just doesn't have experience with foreign stuff. He'll need to have a fantastic cabinet behind him that can kind of assist him on foreign issues.

You can tell in debates that he's wary on speaking about war because he probably knows he's not in a position to talk about it like he knows exactly what he's talking about... if that makes sense?

If he's smart enough to talk his way into becoming the president, I'm sure he's smart enough to pick out a cabinet to provide some useful advising on foreign policy.

Obama managed it, despite having never done anything with his life. None of the current candidates has any real experience with war or foreign policy.

Obama managed it, despite having never done anything with his life. None of the current candidates has any real experience with war or foreign policy.

Very true.

Привет товарищ ))))

You're joking right? Trump would start world war 3 if he got into power. You might want to look at trumps views on china and Russia instead of skimming the surface of what he has said on fox news.

Woah, so he views on China and Russia, but not North Korea. GG.