Corsair CX Myths Debunked

The Corsair CX lineup is a source of major hate on this forum. Is it a high quality power supply? No. Is it an utter piece of crap? No. The first thing to realize is that the different wattage Corsair CX power supplies have different quality. The Corsair CX 430W is actually not bad, whereas the higher-wattage models are the lesser quality of the bunch. Anyways, to the debunking!

Corsair CX Explodes a Lot

Any power supply theoretically can explode. Power supplies have fuses which can blow, capacitors which can vaporize and blow, and all sorts of complex components that can emit smoke. But even the highest quality power supplies can explode. Even a G2 or P2 can explode, as happened to a user on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/3fkjyz/troubleshooting_psu_literally_exploded/ But there is no proof of the Corsair CX being prone to explosion more than any other units. These units sell like hot cakes, and there are only a few I see online that have exploded. If you find the Amazon review page for an actual crap unit, you'll find about 20 1 star reviews saying the power supply exploded. That is not this power supply.

Corsair CX Has Bad Voltage Regulation

Does it? Let's first take a look at the CX 430, the best of the bunch. The ATX specification says 12V rail outputs must be between 11.4V and 12.6V. 5V rail outputs must be between 4.75V and 5.25V. And 3.3V rail outputs must be from 3.14V to 3.47V. Corsair CX 430 is within these specs perfectly fine. In Jonnyguru's hot box testing, for progressive load tests (equal strain on all rails) the 12V rail output ranged from 11.82V to 11.95V. That is very good. It is all within ATX spec and is arguably good voltage regulation. That is 1.5% off 12V whereas the spec allows 5% offset above and below 12V. 5V rail ranges from 4.99V to 5.10, also very good. 3.3V rail ranges from 3.25V to 3.31V. That is okay.

Now, while the progressive load is good, crossload is not. Crossload tests are done by putting a ton of strain on only one rail and having miniscule strain on the other, and testing the voltage of the other. In this instance, the 3.3V and 5V rails were strained to 14A with the 12V strained to only 1A. Visa versa was tested, too. Unfortunately, the 5V rail actually went out of the ATX spec and below 4.75V. The 12V almost did, while the 3.3V rail was good. So, this means this unit sucks, right? Nope. For one thing, it is very rare for crossload like this to ever occur. When on earth are your 3.3V and 5V rails going to be stressed to such extent while the 12V has no load practically? Crossload is very rare, so even if it occurs within a short period of time, the effects will be minimal. As for the 12V rail having load and little on the 3.3V and 5V, sure it can happen, but arguable the 12V rail does power more critical components, and the 3.3V was actually good.

Let's look at the CX 750M. I'll make this one quick. Voltage regulation is very good, I'll go as far as great, that is until you start pulling too many amps. At that point, over temperature protection shut down the power supply on Johnny's tests, so he did not get to test crossload either. So is this something to worry about? Not necessarily. I highly doubt anyone is actually running a build that will draw in 750W on this power supply and lives in a hot environment. If your room is super hot and you draw in around 600W of power, the CX750M may shut down due to over temperature protection. But that is a good thing. Corsair is ensuring the unit protects itself by shutting down if it gets too hot. In this particular test, Johnny had room temperature at 42C, which is extremely hot. In the cold tests, the power supply did manage to draw 750W and also had great voltage regulation again. Overall, Corsair CX power supplies have solid voltage regulation, though crossload is questionable.

Corsair CX Has Bad Ripple

Actually it is quite the opposite. The CX 430 has probably the best ripple in any cheap power supply. The ATX specs says ripple must be within 120mV for the 12V rail and 50mV for the 3.3V and 5V rails. Okay, let's see. Corsair CX 430 has about 15-20mV on the 12V rail in its worst context. That is darn good. See the graph.

CL2-12V1.jpg

The 3.3V and 5V ripple are also very good. Corsair CX 750M has descent ripple. Here is the 12V rail.

T5-12V1.jpg

The 750M is around 50mV, so well within spec, but not quite as good as the 430W but good for a budget unit. So overall, Corsair CX has good to great ripple!

Corsair CX Can't Operate past 30C

The power supply is rated for 30C. What does this mean? It does not mean that this unit cannot operate at temperatures higher than 30C. This is just a guarantee stating that this power supply will be able to deliver it's specified amperage on the rails and overall wattage up to 30C. Transistors have derating properties, so as they get hotter, they lose the ability to transfer as much current. So if a power supply is hot, it lowers the maximum amperage it can output. According to expert Gabriel Torres, founder of Hardwaresecrets, the Capxon capacitors in the CX range from 85C to 105C in terms of their operating temperatures. I've seen worse, I've seen plenty of 80C rated capacitors. In johnnyguru's tests, the power supply actually managed to operate fine exhausting temperatures at a staggering 62C. Keep in mind this is exhaust, so it is heat dissipated. It's the heat that is actually gone from the power supply, but chances are the unit itself was past 50C and working fine.

Corsair CX Uses Capxon 

Yes it does. But did you know CX power supplies also use Teapo ones? (not that they're really any better). So it uses Chinese capacitors. So yes, they are bad capacitors, but in a build that does not strain these power supplies to their potential, the capacitors should last perfectly fine a few years. They are what they are, and they happen to do one heck of a job with the ripple suppression, just as the inline Capxon capacitors on the EVGA G2 also do.

[removed]

Mind if I link this in my sig?

Edited by Godlygamer23

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

I'm not even going to read this, regardless the CX line are bad PSUs, not the worst by any means but doesn't met up to my standards, which means I WILL NOT RECOMMEND IT!!! The same goes for any of the other PSUs in the meh category of the list in my sig.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I still prefer Seasonic/SuperFlower units over Corsair nowadays.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

I don't recommend them either, I recommend higher-end power supplies with Japanese capacitors, but I just wanted to show that these aren't awful. Honestly, if these did have Japanese capacitors, I would recommend these out the wazoo! But the other non-capacitor aspects of the power supply are quite good.

the point of telling people who have a cx psu in there builds isn't that cx are the worst pieces of garbage out there

the point is that there are much better quality psu's for not much more or even the same

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

the point of telling people who have a cx psu in there builds isn't that cx are the worst pieces of garbage out there

the point is that there are much better quality psu's for not much more or even the same

Yes there are. That is the same reason I don't ever recommend Corsair RMx or RMi units. EVGA G2 and GS are just such better value. The higher-wattage Corsair power supplies are overpriced. The CX 430W however can be found extremely cheap and is not bad for an office build.

I still prefer Seasonic/SuperFlower units over Corsair nowadays.

Well, who wouldn't prefer a Ferrari to a Chevrolet? The CX series aren't really intended to be compelling to someone who has $80-100 to spend on a PSU. They actually don't have a lot of respectable competition at the prices they go for, except maybe EVGA's NEX products, and I don't think they're much better.

I'm not even going to read this, regardless the CX line are bad PSUs, not the worst by any means but doesn't met up to my standards, which means I WILL NOT RECOMMEND IT!!! The same goes for any of the other PSUs in the meh category of the list in my sig.

Should you really be commenting on something you didn't read?

Thy hath sinneth, and in thy life thou hast fallen to an unholy, unspeakable level of humanity. Thou hast given into your basest needs. And suffered many years under thine Satan-box. However, if thine be willing, as thy hast show yourself to be, thy can ascendeth into thy glorious fold of the glorious church. Go well, my brother, may your temps be low and your frames high. ~ MrDynamicMan

Should you really be commenting on something you didn't read?

I already know the argument, the way it is written here is too long winded for me to care (aka tldr), besides I already know the key points.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

TLDR pls 

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

Doubt anyone will have the issue of the cx750 shutting down? I had that. Then again I was using a good system on a cheap PSU. My room was also hot. My PC would shut off sometimes 3-4 times a day. This is why I don't recommend CX power supplies.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

I already know the argument, the way it is written here is too long winded for me to care (aka tldr), besides I already know the key points.

In my honest opinion, TL;DR is (to put it as politely as I can) for those who shouldn't be on a forum... they have many long posts.

Thy hath sinneth, and in thy life thou hast fallen to an unholy, unspeakable level of humanity. Thou hast given into your basest needs. And suffered many years under thine Satan-box. However, if thine be willing, as thy hast show yourself to be, thy can ascendeth into thy glorious fold of the glorious church. Go well, my brother, may your temps be low and your frames high. ~ MrDynamicMan

Doubt anyone will have the issue of the cx750 shutting down? I had that. Then again I was using a good system on a cheap PSU. My room was also hot. My PC would shut off sometimes 3-4 times a day. This is why I don't recommend CX power supplies.

And that perfectly matches the explanation I had in the original post. I said the 750 will shut down if in a hot room, and that I'd only recommend not running components that get near 600W.

Oh man, nice. :D Had a CX before my EVGA and I still stand by my CX, there is nothing wrong with them and the hate is extremely over exxaggerated.

Office PC? Sure, CX for 15$ all the way
A system with a OCed R9 380/GTX 960 + i5? Bad idea

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

It's not a bad PSU for basic builds OMG... it's just not the way to go wtih high end....

that is what should be debunked! 

┏(◑̃.◑̃)┛ Totally Not Dangerous ┏(◐̃.◐̃)┛

i7 4790K / 16GB RAM \ 250GB SSD

This says it all! Informative and has all the factual data that you need to know about the CX. It's definitely worth reading, Thanks for taking the time to put this together, such effort  :)

No problem!

Some Corsair PSU are Seasonic...

Yeh :D My HX650 is made by SeaSonic.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I think we all agree they are for low-power builds with either very weak or no GPU.

So you're say my cx 500 might f**k me over?!

I have a 960 4gb!?

• 11 months later...
On 12/26/2015 at 0:47 PM, V-e-l-o-c-i-t-y said:

So you're say my cx 500 might f**k me over?!

I have a 960 4gb!?

Nah itll be fine.