Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tmt97

Do i have a virus?

Plugged into the same computer? The trackpad isn't disabled when you plug in a mouse. 

Try this OP.

https://gyazo.com/31b6400d3c7e5d425fede24d591f9b9f

Posted · Original PosterOP

Im on a macbook pro, and my mouse randomly started moving on its own. I disconnected from the internet and it stopped shortly after. I tried to reconnect to test the waters, but then it crashed...im typing this on my phone

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Im on a macbook pro, and my mouse randomly started moving on its own. I disconnected from the internet and it stopped shortly after. I tried to reconnect to test the waters, but then it crashed...im typing this on my phone

Probably, maybe run an antivirus?

PC SPECS: Athlon 860k, MSI 380 4GB, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD, Fractal Design Core 1000

ok i rebooted and i was going to run my anti-virus(avira), but its gone. The program file just doesnt exist on the computer since i rebooted..

Edit: thanks for liking the post guys, but wtf does it mean if this happens? Im freaking out right now.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

ok i rebooted and i was going to run my anti-virus(avira), but its gone. The program file just doesnt exist on the computer since i rebooted..

Edit: thanks for liking the post guys, but wtf does it mean if this happens? Im freaking out right now.

Clean install OS

Sounds like a malware eating your computer.

I got the best Waifu a man could ever ask for Lieselotte Sherlock is my girl ( in my profile pic ) 

Clean install OS

erm... I havnt backed up my files recently...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

You should probably just revert to factory stock if you don't have any important data on it.

For windows there are tools like malwarebytes chameleon that allow you to install anti-malware even if the malware is blocking it, for mac I don't know any alternative. You could just try installing malwarebytes and seeing if it works, but I doubt it.

<Make me a sandwich.> <No! Make it yourself!> <Sudo make me a sandwich.> <FINE.> What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D  CoC F.A.Q Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

erm... I havnt backed up my files recently...

Do what you can to back up ONLY what can't be re-downloaded while disconnected from the Internet. Also scan what you back up to ensure something isn't buried in there. Let this be a lesson

Ok i managed to download malwarebytes. Having a really hard time getting the mouse to let me click it though.

Edit: good news is that it worked and found a bunch of shit to clean. Restarting now, hopefully im good now.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Ok i managed to download malwarebytes. Having a really hard time getting the mouse to let me click it though.

There are programms (I think Kaspersky has one) which are basicly a very simple OS. You insert a USB Stick and run that os, which is basicly a virus scanner, this way most viruses will not work. 

My Rig: CPU - Intel Xeon E3-1230V3 | Cooling - Custom Liquid Cooled / 240mm Rad | GPU - Sapphire RX 470 8GB @ 1460MHz /  Liquid Cooled | Mobo - ASRock Z87 Extreme 4 | RAM - G.Skill RipjawsX 8gb | HDD #1 - Sandisk Extreme II 120gb #2 - Kingston A400 480GB #3 - Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | PSU - Fractal Design Integra M 650W | Case - NZXT H440 | Accesories: Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Steelseries Siberia V2 | Keyboard - Corsair K70 | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor(s) - #1 BenQ XL2411Z #2 BenQ RL2450HT

Edit: good news is that it worked and found a bunch of shit to clean. Restarting now, hopefully im good now.

Download to a portable disk and load onto mac while it is offline?

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

The problem with macs and linux getting malware is that they go through zombie states a lot easier than Windows do as there's not a huge investment in protecting them compared to windows.  Your best bet would be trying to get into the mac version of safe mode.  If that fails then factory set the os/reinstall.

VashTheStampede 4.0:

CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950x | CPU Cooling: EKWB S280 with the EK Supremacy sTR4 RGB Nickel Water Block and Scarlet Red Premix | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut | Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GBs (2x16) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB M.2-2280 SSD/PNY CS900 240GB SSD/Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM/Toshiba X300 4TB 7200RPM | GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition | Case: Fractal Define R5 Blackout Edition w/Window | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 with Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS | Headphones:  AKG K7XX Massdrop Editions | Mic: Audio-Technica ATR2500 | Speakers: Mackie MR624 Studio Monitors

Prince of Dark Rock:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G(Temp/Upping to a Zen 2 CPU) | CPU Cooling: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryronaut | Mobo: Asrock x470 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 8GBs (2x4) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX200 240GB SSD+Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM | GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB SSC GAMING  | Case: Fractal Focus G | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: Random HP DVD Drive | Operating System: Windows 10 Home | Keyboard: Gigabyte FORCE K83 with Cherry MX Reds | MouseRazer DeathAdder Elite Destiny 2 Edition Speakers: JBL LSR 305 Studio Monitors(At some point)

That is called hijacker than a virus because virus CANNOT move your mouse without a person behind the other side. It like your car engine start by itself and then drive without any one inside or the key in. If you have a virus on Mac than any devices connect to that network that Mac already been infected will be automatically get infect soon. Also, the differences between malware and virus is virus require no user interaction and automatically spread rapidly from the router. Unlike malware, it require user interaction and less chance of spreading because it require removable devices to transfer from one self to another computer. 

That is called hijacker than a virus because virus CANNOT move your mouse without a person behind the other side. It like your car engine start by itself and then drive without any one inside or the key in. If you have a virus on Mac than any devices connect to that network that Mac already been infected will be automatically get infect soon. Also, the differences between malware and virus is virus require no user interaction and automatically spread rapidly from the router. Unlike malware, it require user interaction and less chance of spreading because it require removable devices to transfer from one self to another computer. 

Well the other computer on the network is running Ubuntu, so I'm not too concerned. Malwarebytes says it got rid of all the malware, but my mouse is still a bit fidgety. It's not moving and clicking on its own anymore, but randomly is super sensitive and darts across the page. Dunno what else I need to do...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Well the other computer on the network is running Ubuntu, so I'm not too concerned. Malwarebytes says it got rid of all the malware, but my mouse is still a bit fidgety. It's not moving and clicking on its own anymore, but randomly is super sensitive and darts across the page. Dunno what else I need to do...

Well, most or not all my malware removal tools is only strong on Windows OS, but not on Mac. So my best shot is reinstall Mac OS. 

could just be a bad mouse pad. Do you have a USB mouse you can use to test ?

I got the best Waifu a man could ever ask for Lieselotte Sherlock is my girl ( in my profile pic ) 

could just be a bad mouse pad. Do you have a USB mouse you can use to test ?

I tested both my wireless mouse, and the track-pad. Seems it has subsided a bit now. Dunno why, maybe the hijacker is taking a piss?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Doesn't sound like a virus to me.

Trackpads are weird, bro. And you asked a loaded question by phrasing it the way you did which made it easier for readers to agree with you.

It was probably caused by an unexpected sensor on the track pad... Probably caused by surrounding atmospheric conditions. It also sounds like it happened once.

Doesn't sound like a virus to me.

Trackpads are weird, bro. And you asked a loaded question by phrasing it the way you did which made it easier for readers to agree with you.

It was probably caused by an unexpected sensor on the track pad... Probably caused by surrounding atmospheric conditions. It also sounds like it happened once.

But if it was just the trackpad why did it happen to my other mice?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

I have a few followup questions:

1. You're talking about the built-in trackpad, correct?

2. Have you tried plugging in a USB mouse? Does that solve the jitteriness and accuracy?

3. Is the Macbook Pro still under warranty?

On a side note, backup EVERYTHING THAT CANNOT BE REPLACED right now. I mean RIGHT now.

For Sale (lots of stuff):

Spoiler

[FS] [CAD] Various things

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

I have a few followup questions:

1. You're talking about the built-in trackpad, correct?

2. Have you tried plugging in a USB mouse? Does that solve the jitteriness and accuracy?

3. Is the Macbook Pro still under warranty?

On a side note, backup EVERYTHING THAT CANNOT BE REPLACED right now. I mean RIGHT now.

Yes, the built in trackpad, and yes I tried plugging in a USB mouse. It started on the USB mouse as that's what I primarily use anyway. I went ahead and unplugged it and tried the built-in trackpad, and same problem. As far as the warranty, I doubt it. Were talking about a 5 year old laptop here. I'm not sure where I should back it up to really... I don't have a NAS or external hard drive or anything like that.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Yes, the built in trackpad, and yes I tried plugging in a USB mouse. It started on the USB mouse as that's what I primarily use anyway. I went ahead and unplugged it and tried the built-in trackpad, and same problem. As far as the warranty, I doubt it. Were talking about a 5 year old laptop here. I'm not sure where I should back it up to really... I don't have a NAS or external hard drive or anything like that.

A 1TB external is pretty cheap, $50ish?

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

A 1TB external is pretty cheap, $50ish?

Dunno when $50 became cheap... I think I might have some flash drives hanging around, Ile try to move some data to them.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

No offense, but if you're using a very expensive Macbook Pro, you should have a backup drive. How did you get the Macbook? Did you save up for it? Was it a gift from your parents or someone else?

Backing up your important data is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING for you to do with a computer.

If you cannot afford an external HDD, then save up, and buy one AS SOON AS PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE. Otherwise ask your parents or family members to chip in or buy it for you. All you need really is a 1TB USB HDD - those are very cheap - can often be had for $50 or less.

It shocks me every time I learn someone has a very expensive computer and doesn't back it up because external HDD's are "so expensive". My girlfriend has a Macbook Air and she doesn't back up her data either, so she's getting an external HDD for Christmas :P

For Sale (lots of stuff):

Spoiler

[FS] [CAD] Various things

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *