Do i have a virus?

Tmt97
Go to solution Solved by TDP_Equinox,

Plugged into the same computer? The trackpad isn't disabled when you plug in a mouse. 

Try this OP.

https://gyazo.com/31b6400d3c7e5d425fede24d591f9b9f

Im on a macbook pro, and my mouse randomly started moving on its own. I disconnected from the internet and it stopped shortly after. I tried to reconnect to test the waters, but then it crashed...im typing this on my phone

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Im on a macbook pro, and my mouse randomly started moving on its own. I disconnected from the internet and it stopped shortly after. I tried to reconnect to test the waters, but then it crashed...im typing this on my phone

Probably, maybe run an antivirus?

PC SPECS: Athlon 860k, MSI 380 4GB, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD, Fractal Design Core 1000

ok i rebooted and i was going to run my anti-virus(avira), but its gone. The program file just doesnt exist on the computer since i rebooted..

Edit: thanks for liking the post guys, but wtf does it mean if this happens? Im freaking out right now.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

ok i rebooted and i was going to run my anti-virus(avira), but its gone. The program file just doesnt exist on the computer since i rebooted..

Edit: thanks for liking the post guys, but wtf does it mean if this happens? Im freaking out right now.

Clean install OS

Sounds like a malware eating your computer.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Clean install OS

erm... I havnt backed up my files recently...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

You should probably just revert to factory stock if you don't have any important data on it.

For windows there are tools like malwarebytes chameleon that allow you to install anti-malware even if the malware is blocking it, for mac I don't know any alternative. You could just try installing malwarebytes and seeing if it works, but I doubt it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

erm... I havnt backed up my files recently...

Do what you can to back up ONLY what can't be re-downloaded while disconnected from the Internet. Also scan what you back up to ensure something isn't buried in there. Let this be a lesson

Ok i managed to download malwarebytes. Having a really hard time getting the mouse to let me click it though.

Edit: good news is that it worked and found a bunch of shit to clean. Restarting now, hopefully im good now.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Ok i managed to download malwarebytes. Having a really hard time getting the mouse to let me click it though.

There are programms (I think Kaspersky has one) which are basicly a very simple OS. You insert a USB Stick and run that os, which is basicly a virus scanner, this way most viruses will not work. 

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Edit: good news is that it worked and found a bunch of shit to clean. Restarting now, hopefully im good now.

Download to a portable disk and load onto mac while it is offline?

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

That is called hijacker than a virus because virus CANNOT move your mouse without a person behind the other side. It like your car engine start by itself and then drive without any one inside or the key in. If you have a virus on Mac than any devices connect to that network that Mac already been infected will be automatically get infect soon. Also, the differences between malware and virus is virus require no user interaction and automatically spread rapidly from the router. Unlike malware, it require user interaction and less chance of spreading because it require removable devices to transfer from one self to another computer. 

That is called hijacker than a virus because virus CANNOT move your mouse without a person behind the other side. It like your car engine start by itself and then drive without any one inside or the key in. If you have a virus on Mac than any devices connect to that network that Mac already been infected will be automatically get infect soon. Also, the differences between malware and virus is virus require no user interaction and automatically spread rapidly from the router. Unlike malware, it require user interaction and less chance of spreading because it require removable devices to transfer from one self to another computer. 

Well the other computer on the network is running Ubuntu, so I'm not too concerned. Malwarebytes says it got rid of all the malware, but my mouse is still a bit fidgety. It's not moving and clicking on its own anymore, but randomly is super sensitive and darts across the page. Dunno what else I need to do...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Well the other computer on the network is running Ubuntu, so I'm not too concerned. Malwarebytes says it got rid of all the malware, but my mouse is still a bit fidgety. It's not moving and clicking on its own anymore, but randomly is super sensitive and darts across the page. Dunno what else I need to do...

Well, most or not all my malware removal tools is only strong on Windows OS, but not on Mac. So my best shot is reinstall Mac OS. 

could just be a bad mouse pad. Do you have a USB mouse you can use to test ?

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

could just be a bad mouse pad. Do you have a USB mouse you can use to test ?

I tested both my wireless mouse, and the track-pad. Seems it has subsided a bit now. Dunno why, maybe the hijacker is taking a piss?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Doesn't sound like a virus to me.

Trackpads are weird, bro. And you asked a loaded question by phrasing it the way you did which made it easier for readers to agree with you.

It was probably caused by an unexpected sensor on the track pad... Probably caused by surrounding atmospheric conditions. It also sounds like it happened once.

Doesn't sound like a virus to me.

Trackpads are weird, bro. And you asked a loaded question by phrasing it the way you did which made it easier for readers to agree with you.

It was probably caused by an unexpected sensor on the track pad... Probably caused by surrounding atmospheric conditions. It also sounds like it happened once.

But if it was just the trackpad why did it happen to my other mice?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

I have a few followup questions:

1. You're talking about the built-in trackpad, correct?

2. Have you tried plugging in a USB mouse? Does that solve the jitteriness and accuracy?

3. Is the Macbook Pro still under warranty?

On a side note, backup EVERYTHING THAT CANNOT BE REPLACED right now. I mean RIGHT now.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I have a few followup questions:

1. You're talking about the built-in trackpad, correct?

2. Have you tried plugging in a USB mouse? Does that solve the jitteriness and accuracy?

3. Is the Macbook Pro still under warranty?

On a side note, backup EVERYTHING THAT CANNOT BE REPLACED right now. I mean RIGHT now.

Yes, the built in trackpad, and yes I tried plugging in a USB mouse. It started on the USB mouse as that's what I primarily use anyway. I went ahead and unplugged it and tried the built-in trackpad, and same problem. As far as the warranty, I doubt it. Were talking about a 5 year old laptop here. I'm not sure where I should back it up to really... I don't have a NAS or external hard drive or anything like that.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Yes, the built in trackpad, and yes I tried plugging in a USB mouse. It started on the USB mouse as that's what I primarily use anyway. I went ahead and unplugged it and tried the built-in trackpad, and same problem. As far as the warranty, I doubt it. Were talking about a 5 year old laptop here. I'm not sure where I should back it up to really... I don't have a NAS or external hard drive or anything like that.

A 1TB external is pretty cheap, $50ish?

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

A 1TB external is pretty cheap, $50ish?

Dunno when $50 became cheap... I think I might have some flash drives hanging around, Ile try to move some data to them.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

No offense, but if you're using a very expensive Macbook Pro, you should have a backup drive. How did you get the Macbook? Did you save up for it? Was it a gift from your parents or someone else?

Backing up your important data is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING for you to do with a computer.

If you cannot afford an external HDD, then save up, and buy one AS SOON AS PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE. Otherwise ask your parents or family members to chip in or buy it for you. All you need really is a 1TB USB HDD - those are very cheap - can often be had for $50 or less.

It shocks me every time I learn someone has a very expensive computer and doesn't back it up because external HDD's are "so expensive". My girlfriend has a Macbook Air and she doesn't back up her data either, so she's getting an external HDD for Christmas :P

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)