Windows 10 “Upgrade now” or “Upgrade tonight” Ad

AresKrieger

Ever since the release of Windows 10 this year, Microsoft has been trying to get more users to upgrade to its newest OS. It does have to do so to get the numbers up, and more importantly get more consumers on the new operating system as it moves forward to the Windows as a Service (WaaS) model. However, it is equally important to not flood the consumers with a marketing strategy that makes the company look desperate and Windows 10 a product that needs such marketing tactics.

I don't get updates anymore so hooray for me.

windows-10-upgrade.jpg

I don't know why microsoft is pushing 10 so hard, pretty much those who are going to update have already done so the others (like myself) only become suspicious the harder you try to make us switch. I have no issues with 7 while 10 has some things I just don't like, and if Vulcan takes charge or dx12 flops, I have no reason to upgrade so just leave us alone microsoft.

http://wccftech.com/windows-10-upgrade-strategy-gets-even-more-obnoxious/

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

what if you just leave the screen there :B1:

I usually have a little tactic of just putting useless notifications that you can't close behind the taskbar just to the point where you can't see it ;D

I'd probably do that if I kept getting that.

Student Life Build Yo: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i5-3350p, ASRock H61M-VG4, Sapphire Nitro R9 380x

12GB DDR3-1333, Corsair CX600, SanDisk 120GB SSD, Asus Xonar DGX, Corsair 200R, Headphones: Takstar HI 2050.

~First PC Build!~

I don't know why microsoft is pushing 10 so hard, pretty much those who are going to update have already done so the others (like myself) only become suspicious the harder you try to make us switch. I have no issues with 7 while 10 has some things I just don't like, and if Vulcan takes charge or dx12 flops, I have no reason to upgrade so just leave us alone microsoft.

windows 10 is better than windows 7 imo.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I usually have a little tactic of just putting useless notifications that you can't close behind the taskbar just to the point where you can't see it ;D

this

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

MS is pushing 10 because they don't want to continue to support the older OS. If all your users use one version of the product, it is so much easier to just have a full team work on that product than have them switch back and forth. Aside from a few things, Windows 10 isn't even that bad compared to all the hate 8/8.1 got. It's the same idea as people still using the old Windows XP, MS doesn't want to spend time fixing an outdated OS. They don't want you on Windows 7 if Windows 11/12/13/whatever comes out.

windows 10 is better than windows 7 imo.

As I said though " pretty much those who are going to update have already done so", as you have windows 10 already.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I just stop windows from launching GWX.exe on start-up...

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

As I said though " pretty much those who are going to update have already done so", as you have windows 10 already.

But. Anyone who is building a PC between now and mid next year might be able to get windows for cheap (Or have a spare license)  might want to upgrade.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

But. Anyone who is building a PC between now and mid next year might be able to get windows for cheap (Or have a spare license)  might want to upgrade.

This is true, but it already told you the upgrade was available (with the appropriate updates) so this just qualifies as annoying, as it is just there to nag people into upgrading.

http://wccftech.com/windows-10-upgrade-strategy-gets-even-more-obnoxious/

There's a real value for Microsoft to get as many people as possible to use windows 10 ASAP.

1. Potential Windows Store revenue

2. Better App support for windows phones through universal apps.

3. Decrease in support cost for other OS. If 10 million people use windows 7, they wont spend as much on technical support as if there's 300 million.

4. It helps develop Cortana which will improve windows phones as well as Windows 10

They are pushing Win10 because they don't want to repeat the Windows XP history once again.

There's a real value for Microsoft to get as many people as possible to use windows 10 ASAP.

1. Potential Windows Store revenue

2. Better App support for windows phones through universal apps.

3. Decrease in support cost for other OS. If 10 million people use windows 7, they wont spend as much on technical support as if there's 300 million.

4. It helps develop Cortana which will improve windows phones as well as Windows 10

Funny thing is two of those things are reasons I hate windows 10. (1, 4)

To late.

actually, it's not. Windows 7 is losing marketshares (at least on steam) at a pretty decent pace. ~1% a month. (1.39% last month according to steam hardware survey)

It still isn't something I'd want on my SP3 so I'll just remain on win8.1.

Although their upgrade notices are really annoying. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

actually, it's not. Windows 7 is losing marketshares (at least on steam) at a pretty decent pace. ~1% a month. (1.39% last month according to steam hardware survey)

Not in the business sector though, and that doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon, also in 6 months time that will only net 9% loss at most which after the free upgrades are done it will taper off as upgrades won't really occur, but new PCs will be added too so their share will steadily increase (just at a slower rate), unless as I said dx12 becomes relevant/vulcan doesn't become popular before the free upgrade period ends (that would entice people to switch).

I just stop windows from launching GWX.exe on start-up...

Well that works but I find it a fun little challenge to try and hide it c;

Student Life Build Yo: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i5-3350p, ASRock H61M-VG4, Sapphire Nitro R9 380x

12GB DDR3-1333, Corsair CX600, SanDisk 120GB SSD, Asus Xonar DGX, Corsair 200R, Headphones: Takstar HI 2050.

~First PC Build!~

Heh... Meanwhile I'm setting up XP on my old Dell, planning to get money for a mobo for another XP build, and am waiting on parts for my 480 to throw Windows 7 on the rig under my Dell. :P

mwzzrWw.gif

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Funny thing is two of those things are reasons I hate windows 10. (1, 4)

windows store is just about the easiest thing to ignore and you can turn off cortana...

that being said I haven't upgraded to 10 either, but I am on 8.1... so technically I have windows store, but like I said, its just there hidden away in some menu...  only time I'm ever aware of windows store is when someone says thats a reason they don't like 8.1 or 10

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Not in the business sector though, and that doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon, also in 6 months time that will only net 9% loss at most which after the free upgrades are done it will taper off as upgrades won't really occur, but new PCs will be added too so their share will steadily increase (just at a slower rate), unless as I said dx12 becomes relevant/vulcan doesn't become popular before the free upgrade period ends (that would entice people to switch).

9% will bring it at ~20% of market shares and Windows 10 at ~37%.

Hahaha "Free for a limited time" screw Microsoft we know the update will always be free because you're desperate. Only buying a new OS be cost.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

How does W10 handle mobo swaps? I've read quite a few stories of people switching mobos and not being able to activate W10 again with MS giving no help. I though one of the benefits of W10 was stuff was tied to your acc and not your hardware so you could just deactivate the old computer and reactivate the new computer. 

Has the search bar in the start menu been improved at all? When I tried W10 out the search bar was worse then useless and I just learned where everything was and completely ignored it until I went back to W7.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

I like Windows 10 but I find it very annoying when my PC at work which runs Windows 7 pops up with this window ever so often. 

Its a work PC, with a business licence

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

How does W10 handle mobo swaps? I've read quite a few stories of people switching mobos and not being able to activate W10 again with MS giving no help. I though one of the benefits of W10 was stuff was tied to your acc and not your hardware so you could just deactivate the old computer and reactivate the new computer. 

Has the search bar in the start menu been improved at all? When I tried W10 out the search bar was worse then useless and I just learned where everything was and completely ignored it until I went back to W7.

1st question, the same as 7 and 8 (more or less), which means it's a pain, and if you updated from an oem license good luck

2nd it has improved a little but I still can't use it to find stuff on my friends PC